Sanam Re (lit. Oh my beloved) is a 2016 Indian Hindi-language romantic drama film directed by Divya Khosla Kumar and produced by Bhushan Kumar, Krishan Kumar and co-produced by Ajay Kapoor. The film features Pulkit Samrat and Yami Gautam as the lead roles while Urvashi Rautela and Rishi Kapoor appears in a crucial supporting role.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Divya Khosla Kumar|
|Produced by||Bhushan Kumar|
|Written by||Hussain Dalal|
|Screenplay by||Sanjeev Data|
|Story by||Sanjeev Datta|
|Edited by||Chandrashekhar Prajapati|
|Distributed by||Prateek Entertainments|
The film released worldwide on 12 February 2016 on Valentine's Day weekend. Upon release, the film received mixed to negative reviews.
The story begins just before New Year is about to set in. Akash works for a private firm in Mumbai and leads a monotonous life. When he learns that his grandfather's health has worsened, he leaves the city to visit his native town, Tanakpur. There, he negotiates a deal to sell his grandfather's studio. While visiting the studio for one last time, he is driven into nostalgia, and the story is sent in a flashback. Six-year-old Akash lives with his parents and grandfather (Rishi Kapoor), who is a photographer. Akash's grandfather predicts that Akash will fall in love with a girl who lives 500 steps away from their studio and that they will be in love forever but won't be able to live together. Akash takes 500 steps and finds a girl older than him, disappointing him. Meanwhile, when he gets to high-school, he falls for Shruti (Yami Gautam). But he left her without informing just because he had to continue his higher studies in Mumbai. When Shruti learns this, she is shattered. She couldn't accept his selfishness after a long-term, affectionate relationship. Back in the present, He tries to find Shruti but fails. When he learns that his boss (Manoj Joshi) has fired him, he rushes back and is asked to secure a big contract for his company if he wants to save his job. He travels to Canada to meet Mrs. Pablo, their company investor's wife who is now broken-up with her husband. He attends a yoga camp, where he becomes friends with Mrs. Pablo and learns that her real name is Akansha (Urvashi Rautela). Akash also meets Shruti there, who behaves like a happy-go-lucky and doesn't recognize Akash. Akash pretends to be in love with Akansha to secure the contract, but he and Shruti fall in love with each other again during completing a task in the camp. They sleep together and revive their lost love. It is also revealed that Akansha is none other than the tall girl that Akash met in his childhood. Akash is again left heartbroken when Shruti leaves at the end of the camp, saying that they can't be together.
Akash realizes Shruti still loves him and embarks on a journey to find the truth behind her rejection with the help of Akansha. He learns that she left him because she is suffering from a rare heart disease; she will die if her heart isn't transplanted soon. She requests him to live with her, all the life they would have if they were given a chance. In just a few days, they experience the life of being newly married, being a wedded couples and growing old. By the time they finish experiencing those days, they have a sweet and emotional conversation, and now Akash has to leave for his job purpose.
A few months later, Shruti moves out of the hospital, healthy and cured-they found a donor and the transplant was done. In order to be with Akash, she moves to the city to find him and is left shocked when his phone is switched off and she can't contact him. Hopelessly, she wanders around until she finds a voice note left by Akash, then further goes in search for him. In the end, when she comes to the place where Akash lived during his childhood, her heart began to beat faster. That's when she realizes, Akash was the one who gave his heart to her for the transplant, meaning he is dead now. Shruti leaves loved, yet broken...
- Pulkit Samrat as Akash
- Yami Gautam as Shruti
- Urvashi Rautela as Akansha
- Rishi Kapoor as Akash's Grandfather/Daddu
- Aashish Kaul as Akash's Father
- Prachi Shah as Akash's Mom
- Bharti Singh as Babyji
- Ketki Dave as Visitor's Wife
- Jiten Mukhi as Visitor
- Manoj Joshi as Akash's Boss
- Divya Khosla Kumar as Dancer in song "Humne Pee Rakhi Hai" and "Akkad Bakkad" (cameo appearance)
- Jaz Dhami as Singer in the song "Humne Pee Rakhi Hai" (cameo appearance)
- Ankit Arora as Doc
- Muna Ali (cameo appearance)
The film began production in December 2014, in Shimla. Sanam Re was shot in multiple locations like Mumbai, Chandigarh , Shimla, Kalpa and Ladakh, Banff, Jasper, Waterton Park and Calgary, Canada.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||4 January 2016|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music for Sanam Re is composed by Mithoon, Jeet Gannguli, Amaal Mallik, and Epic Bhangra. Raju Singh has composed the original background score. The lyrics are penned by Rashmi Virag, Mithoon, Manoj Muntashir, Manoj Yadav, Ikka Singh and Kumaar.
The film's title track Sanam Re song in the voice of Arijit Singh was released as a single on 22 December 2015. The second song, titled "Gazab Ka Hai Yeh Din" was released on 1 January 2016. and 1 song Kya Tujhe Ab Ye Dil Bataye was sung by Pakistani Pop Singer Falak Shabir . The soundtrack was released on 4 January 2016 by T-Series.
|1.||"Sanam Re"||Mithoon||Mithoon||Arijit Singh, (Additional Vocals) Mithoon||05:08|
|2.||"Gazab Ka Hai Yeh Din"||Manoj Muntashir||Amaal Mallik||Arijit Singh||05:25|
|3.||"Hua Hain Aaj Pehli Baar"||Manoj Yadav||Amaal Mallik||Amaal Mallik, Armaan Malik, Palak Muchhal||05:09|
|4.||"Humne Pee Rakhi Hai"||Ikka, Kumaar||Epic Bhangra||Jaz Dhami, Neha Kakkar, Ikka Singh||03:45|
|5.||"Kya Tujhe Ab Ye Dil Bataye"||Manoj Muntashir||Amaal Mallik||Falak Shabir||05:36|
|6.||"Tere Liye"||Mithoon||Mithoon||Ankit Tiwari||07:07|
|7.||"Tum Bin"||Rashmi Virag||Jeet Gannguli||Shreya Ghoshal||04:44|
|8.||"Chhote Chhote Tamashe"||Manoj Muntashir||Jeet Gannguli||Shaan||03:45|
|9.||"Ishqe Di Lat"||Manoj Muntashir||Ankit Tiwari||Ankit Tiwari, Tulsi Kumar||5:28|
Three songs were released later and were not the part of the film's album. The female version of title track was released in the voice of Tulsi Kumar and Mithoon and latter on Falak Shabir and T-Series released Kya Tujhe Ab Ye Dil Bataye in Unplugged & Sad Version on 4 February 2016. The additional rap song by Badshah titled "Akkad Bakkad", was released on 8 February 2016 to celebrate the music of the film.
|1.||"Sanam Re (Lounge Mix)"||Mithoon||Mithoon||Tulsi Kumar, Mithoon||04:36|
|2.||"Akkad Bakkad"||Badshah||Badshah||Badshah, Neha Kakkar||03:13|
|3.||"Kya Tujhe Ab Ye Dil Bataye (Unplugged & Sad Version)"||Amaal Mallik||Falak Shabir|
The movie collected 5.04cr on its first day at the box-office. The movie remained stable over the week-end and collected 17.05cr. On its opening week it net grossed 25.82cr. The movie then had a lifetime of 30.32cr.
- Nijhara, Apoorva (13 February 2016). "Fitoor vs Sanam Re box office collection: Pulkit-Yami's film ahead of Katrina-Aditya's". India Today. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Sanam Re (2016) – Box Office Earnings". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Divya Khosla Kumar to direct a classic love story".
- "Divya Khosla Kumar recreated Shimla into Mumbai".
- "Sanam Re: Pulkit Samrat and Yami Gautam kiss in freezing cold".
- "Urvashi Rautela talks about shooting for 'Sanam Re' in the hills".
- "Rishi Kapoor to play an 80-year-old in 'Sanam Re'". The Indian Express. 1 May 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "How Divya Khosla Kumar convinced Rishi Kapoor to play a grandfather's role in Sanam Re". Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "BT Exclusive: First look of Divya Khosla Kumar's 'Sanam Re'".
- "Pulkit Samrat shoots 'Sanam Re' in Ladakh".
- "Last schedule of Yami Gautam's 'Sanam Re' to be shot in Calgary". The Indian Express. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Watch The Romantic Melodious Title Track Of 'Sanam Re'". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- "Gazab Ka Hai Yeh Din (From "Sanam Re") - Single by Arijit Singh & Amaal Mallik on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Sanam Re (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Mithoon, Jeet Ganguly, Amaal Mallik & Epic Bhangra on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Sanam Re (Lounge Mix) AUDIO Song — T-Series". —via Official T-Series YouTube channel. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Divya Khosla Kumar wraps up 'Sanam Re' with Badshah's rap song". The Times Of India. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Sanam Re Total Box Office Collection" Retrieved on 03 November 2017