Pankaj Kumar Tripathi is an Indian actor who appears predominantly in Hindi films. Famous for his natural acting, he debuted in 2004 with a minor role in Run and Omkara and has since worked in more than 40 films and 60 television shows. Tripathi's breakthrough came in 2012 for his supporting role in the Gangs of Wasseypur film series. He has since received critical appraisal for multiple films, including Fukrey (2013), Masaan (2015), Nil Battey Sannata (2016), Bareilly Ki Barfi (2017), Newton (2017), Fukrey Returns (2017) and Stree (2018). For Newton, Tripathi earned several awards including a National Film Award – Special Mention.
Tripathi at the 67th Berlin International Film Festival in 2017
|Born||5 September 1976 (age 43)|
Gopalganj, Bihar, India
|Alma mater||National School of Drama, Delhi|
Mridula Tripathi (m. 2004)
Tripathi was born on 5 September 1976 in Belsand, a village in Gopalganj District in the Indian State of Bihar, to Pandit Banaras Tripathi and Hemwanti Devi, as the youngest of their five children. His father works as a farmer and priest. Tripathi also worked as a farmer until he was in the 11th standard at school. During festive seasons, he used to play the role of a girl in his village's natak which according to him was appreciated by the villagers and ultimately prompted him to make a career out of acting. He moved to Patna after high school where he studied in Institute of Hotel Management, Hajipur. He did theatre and was active in college politics as a member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad. Out of fear of failure in acting he also worked briefly for a Five Star hotel in Patna. After his stay of about seven years in Patna, he moved to Delhi to enroll in the National School of Drama, from where he graduated in 2004.
Career in moviesEdit
After graduating from the National School of Drama, Tripathi moved to Mumbai in 2004, and subsequently performed an uncredited role in the film Run. In 2012, he made his breakthrough, when he was widely acclaimed for his role in Gangs of Wasseypur. His audition for film went on for approximately eight hours. In 2008, he acted in the Bahubali TV series, and later in Powder on Sony TV which is now available on Netflix. In his early career, he played mostly negative roles and became synonymous with gangster characters. Later he played various roles and won critical appraisal for the same. His first film as a lead actor was the 2017 film Gurgaon. His 2017 film Newton was India's official entry for the Academy Award in best foreign film category.
Tripathi married Mridula on 15 January 2004 and they have a daughter.
|Denotes films / dramas that are not yet released|
|2005||Apaharan||Gaya Singh's Crony|
|Shaurya||Major Virendra Rathore|
|2009||Chintu Ji||Paplu Yadav|
|2010||Valmiki Ki Bandook||BDO Tripathi||Short film|
|2011||Chillar Party||Secretary Dubey|
|Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1||Sultan Qureshi|
|Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 2|
|2013||ABCD: Any Body Can Dance||Vardha Bhai|
|Anwar Ka Ajab Kissa||Amol|
|Janta v/s Janardan – Bechara Aam Aadmi|
|Doosukeltha||Dilleeswara Rao||Telugu film|
|2015||Manjhi – The Mountain Man||Ruab|
|2016||Nil Battey Sannata||Principal Srivastava|
|Mango Dreams||Salim||English film|
|2017||Coffee with D||Girdhari|
|Anaarkali of Aarah||Rangeela|
|Bareilly Ki Barfi||Narottam Mishra|
|Kaala||Pankaj Patil||Tamil film|
|Angrezi Mein Kehte Hain||Feroz|
|Bhaiaji Superhit||Builder Gupta|
|Yours Truly||Vijay||World premiere at the 23rd BIFF in October 2018.|
|The Tashkent Files||Gangaram Jha|
|Super 30||Shri Ram Singh|
|Arjun Patiala||Film Producer||Guest appearance|
|Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar||Kartaar Singh|
|Angrezi Medium||Tony (travel agent) cameo||Filming|
|2010–11||Zindagi Ka Har Rang...Gulaal||Giga Kaka||Star Plus|
|2010||Powder||Naved Ansari||Sony TV|
|2015–16||Sarojini - Ek Nayi Pehal||Dushyant Singh||Zee TV|
|2018–present||Sacred Games||Khanna Guru Ji||Netflix|
|2018–present||Mirzapur||Kaleen Bhaiya / Akhandanand Tripathi||Amazon Video|
|2019||Criminal Justice||Madhav Mishra||Hotstar|||
- Special Mention at the National Film Awards for Newton (Hindi)
- News18 REEL Movie Awards for Best Supporting Actor for Newton
- In 2019 Power Brands honored him with “Power Brand: Industry Trendsetter” at BFJA (Bollywood Film Journalist's Awards)
- iReel Awards for Best Actor - Drama for Mirzapur
- Screen Award for Best Supporting Actor (2018) - Stree
- Zee Cine Award for Best Dialogue (2019) - Stree
- "कभी गेट पर रोक देते थे गार्ड, आज इस एक्टर की फिल्म पहुंची ऑस्कर". Dainik Bhaskar (in Hindi). 26 September 2017. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- Jamkhandikar, Shilpa (20 September 2017). "Q&A: Pankaj Tripathi on surviving in frog-in-the-well Bollywood". Reuters. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "National Film Awards 2018 complete winners list: Sridevi named Best Actress; Newton is Best Hindi Film". Firstpost. 13 April 2018. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Story of Pankaj Tripathi: From jail cell, hotel kitchen to big screen". The Times of India.
- Guftagoo with Pankaj Tripathi. Rajya Sabha TV. 5 April 2016.
- "Oscar में इस बिहारी एक्टर की मूवी, अभी भी मिट्टी के चूल्हे पर बनता है खाना". dainikbhaskar (in Hindi). 22 September 2017. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- Danish Raza (5 August 2017). "Pankaj Tripathi, the scene-stealer of 'Gurgaon'". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- Ramnath, Nandini (20 April 2016). "The Pankaj Tripathi interview: 'The audience should be in the same room as the character'". Scroll.in. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- Joshi, Namrata (19 September 2017). "Acting is like a journey into unexplored terrain, says Pankaj Tripathi". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Kaala Karikaalan actor Pankaj Tripathi: Gurgaon is a very special film for me". The Indian Express. 8 July 2017. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- Kaushal, Ruchi (28 January 2017). "'Nil Battey Sannata' is my story: Pankaj Tripathi – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Don't like people appreciating my negative roles: Pankaj Tripathi". The Indian Express. 30 April 2016. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- Rishabh Suri (20 September 2017). "Bareilly Ki Barfi actor Pankaj Tripathi: Cinema is not just a medium of entertainment". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "'Newton' is India's official entry to Oscars 2018". The Hindu. 22 September 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Rajini is my idol, working with him has been so enriching: Pankaj Tripathi on 'Kaala'". The News Minute. 22 September 2017. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "Busan Film Festival official site".
- "The man of the moment, @TripathiiPankaj, will inspire everyone with his role of #ManSingh. #CastOf83". Reliance Entertainment Twitter. 7 February 2019. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Bhowal, Tiasa (12 September 2018). "Panga: Richa Chadha And Pankaj Tripathi Join The Cast Of Kangana Ranaut's Film". NDTV. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Pankaj Tripathi joins the cast of Irrfan Khan's Angrezi Medium". Indian Express. 13 April 2019. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- Rao, Soumya (1 April 2019). "'No one's seen me in such a role': Pankaj Tripathi on playing a lawyer in 'Criminal Justice'". Scroll.in.
- Desk, The Hindu Net (13 April 2018). "Sridevi wins posthumous National Award for 'Mom': Here is the full list of awardees". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "Pankaj Tripathi Gets A Special Mention For His Performance In Newton At 65Th National Awards". Deccan Chronicle. 14 April 2018. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "VIDEO: News18 REEL Movie Awards I Pankaj Tripathi Wins Best Supporting Actor for Newton". News18. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "iReel Awards 2019: Pankaj Tripathi Beats Sacred Games 2 co-star Nawazuddin Siddiqui to win Best Actor (Drama) for Mirzapur". News18. Retrieved 23 September 2019.