Pednekar at Ki & Ka screening in 2016
18 July 1989 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Bhumi Pednekar is an Indian film actress. After working as an asistant casting director for several years for Yash Raj Films, she signed a three-film deal with the company as an actress and made her film debut with a leading role in the 2015 romantic comedy Dum Laga Ke Haisha–which won her a Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut.
Pednekar was born to a Maharashtrian father and a Haryanvi mother. She is a Mumbai resident and did her schooling from Arya Vidya Mandir in Juhu Mumbai. She was an assistant casting director for six years under Shanoo Sharma of Yash Raj Films before venturing into acting.
Pednekar played the role of Sandhya Varma, a chubby girl in her debut film, Dum Laga Ke Haisha in 2015. As reported by Daily News and Analysis, she was quoted as saying that in order to play the role of an overweight woman, she gained close to 12 kg despite being overweight before the shooting had commenced. It is also reported that Pednekar has signed a three-film deal with Yash Raj Films. Later on even before the film's release, she started losing weight over a few weeks during which she posted the methods and tips of weight losing through social media. She had already lost significant weight before the release of Dum Laga Ke Haisha in order to make the audience relate more with her chubby character, Yash Raj Films instructed her not to talk to the media before the release of the film.
The same year she appeared in Y-Films's mini web-series Man's world. The four-part series raised issues like gender inequality, and premiered on YouTube on 29 September. It also featured actresses like Parineeti Chopra, Kalki Koechlin and Richa Chadda.
Pednekar will be seen next in a movie to be produced by Anand L. Rai and directed by Sameer Sharma which will also feature Ayushmann Khurrana, who was her co-star in her debut movie. She will also be working with Akshay Kumar in Shree Narayan Singh's directorial debut Toilet-Ek Prem Katha which is scheduled for release in June, 2017.
|2015||Dum Laga Ke Haisha||Sandhya Varma||Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut|
|2017||Toilet: Ek Prem Katha||TBA||Post-production|
|2017||Shubh Mangal Savdhan||TBA||Filming|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2016||Dum Laga Ke Haisha||Filmfare Award||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Producers Guild Film Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Screen Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Won|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Social Role - Female||Won|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
- Sangghvi, Bhavikk. "Movie prediction for ´Dum Laga Ke Haisha'". Planet Bollywood. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- "15 women of courage share their inspiring stories". India Today. 11 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Presenting Dum Laga Ke Haisha’s leading lady Bhumi Pednekar, the slim-fit version, Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Lose it’ like Bhumi Pednekar!, Bhumi Pednekar has shared "the fun little things" she did to lose weight.
- My Cinderella Story: Bhumi Pednekar, DNAIndia 7 March 2015.
- 7 things you don't know about Bhumi Pednekar. 6th is shocking, India Today.
- Basu, Nilanjana (27 September 2015). "Parineeti, Kalki, Richa Show it is So Not a Man's World in Trailer". NDTV. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Bollywood celebs bat for gender equality with 'Man's World'". The Indian Express. 26 September 2015. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Ayushmann Khurrana, Bhumi Pednekar in Anand L Rai's Next Film, Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Filmfare Awards 2016: Ranveer Singh bags Best Actor in leading role for Bajirao Mastani". ibtimes. 16 January 2016.
- "Filmfare Awards 2016: Sooraj Pancholi-Bhumi Pednekar Bag Best Newcomer Awards". filmibeat. 16 January 2016.