|Alma mater||Hindu College, University of Delhi|
|Occupation||director, screenwriter, producer|
|Spouse(s)||Chetana Kowshik (m.2017)|
Abhishek Chaubey was born in Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh to Anand Mohan Chaubey and Sheela Chaubey. He spent his early childhood and adolescence in Jamshedpur, Patna and Ranchi. He completed his 10th standard from St. Xavier's School, Ranchi in the year 1993, completed 12th from Siva Sivani Public School, Hyderabad in the year 1995, and then did his graduation in English literature from Hindu College, New Delhi in the year 1998. Moving to Mumbai, he did a course in Film & Television Production from Xavier Institute of Communications before taking a headlong plunge in the world of Hindi films.
Abhishek Chaubey started his career as an associate director and co-writer with film director, Vishal Bhardwaj, starting with Vishal's debut Makdee (2002). He went on to assist him in all his subsequent films, and most notably co-wrote Vishal's trendsetting Omkara (2006) based on Othello, and Kaminey (2009).
2016 saw him direct Udta Punjab which was produced by Anurag Kashyap and Ekta Kapoor which dealt with the drug problems in the state of Punjab. It ran into a lot of controversy with the censor board. The censor board demanded 89 cuts which were eventually overturned by the Bombay High Court. It won critical acclaim as well as box office success on its release.
|2005||The Blue Umbrella||Yes||Yes|
|2013||Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola||Yes|
|2016||A Death in the Gunj||Yes|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Ishqiya casting happened by chance: Abhishek Chaubey". Hindustan Times. 29 January 2010. Archived from the original on 1 February 2010.
- "The Graduate". The Indian Express. 26 August 2009. Archived from the original on 14 October 2012.
- Ramesh, Randeep (29 July 2006). "A matter of caste as Bollywood embraces the Bard: Big budget remake of Othello – with song and dance – starts new trend". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 23 April 2010.
- "Watch 'Ishqiya' for its rustic appeal". The Hindu. 25 January 2010.
- Rajeev Masand (29 January 2010). "Masand Movie Review: Ishqiya, a delicious little film". CNN IBN.
- Awards IMDB.