Arjun Kapoor (pronounced [ɐrˈɟun kəˈpuːr]; born 26 June 1985) is an Indian actor who appears in Bollywood films. He is the son of film producers Boney Kapoor and Mona Shourie Kapoor. After working as an assistant director and associate producer on several films, including Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003) and Wanted (2009), he made his acting debut with Habib Faisal's romantic drama Ishaqzaade (2012), for which he was nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut.
Kapoor at a promotional event for Mubarakan in 2017
26 June 1985 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Parent(s)||Boney Kapoor (father)
Mona Shourie Kapoor (mother)
|Relatives||See Kapoor family|
Kapoor went on to portray a coal bandit in the action film Gunday (2014), an aspiring writer in the romance 2 States (2014) and a stay-at-home husband in the romantic comedy Ki & Ka (2016); all three films earned over ₹1 billion (US$15 million) worldwide. In addition to acting in film, Kapoor has hosted the 16th IIFA Awards ceremony in 2015 and the seventh season of the television reality show Khatron Ke Khiladi in 2016. In 2017, he acted in Mohit Suri's film Half Girlfriend opposite Shraddha Kapoor. Then he acted in Anees Bazmee's film Mubarakan with Anil Kapoor, Ileana D'Cruz and Athiya Shetty.
Life and careerEdit
Early life and film debutEdit
Kapoor was born on 26 June 1985 in Bombay, Maharashtra to the Hindi film producer, Boney Kapoor and the entrepreneur Mona Shourie Kapoor. He is the grandson of filmmaker Surinder Kapoor. He is the nephew of actors Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Kapoor and producer Sandeep Marwah, and the first-cousin of actress Sonam Kapoor, actors Mohit Marwah, Harshvardhan Kapoor and producer Rhea Kapoor. He has a sister Anshula Kapoor. The actress Sridevi was his stepmother, and he also has two half-sisters, Janhvi and Khushi Kapoor. When asked in an interview about his father's second marriage, Kapoor said: "When we were kids, it was difficult. But what can you do? How long will you complain? You have to accept what is, take it on your chin, and move on." Arjun also said that "We don’t really meet and spend time together so it doesn’t really exist," One can understand Mona Kapoor's son Arjun's love for his mom Mona.
Kapoor was educated at the Arya Vidya Mandir school in Mumbai, which he attended till his twelfth grade. After failing his twelfth grade examinations, he quit his studies. In his teens and early twenties, Kapoor suffered from obesity and approximately weighed 140 kg; he later said that due to his condition, he used to be "sloppy, grumpy" and "under-confident". Kapoor's first job in the film industry was as an assistant director on Nikhil Advani's Kal Ho Naa Ho in 2003. He also assisted Advani on his next directorial Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love (2007), and worked as an associate producer on two of his father's productions—No Entry (2005) and Wanted (2009). Kapoor was then signed on for a three-film contract with Yash Raj Films, a leading production company in India.
Kapoor made his acting debut in 2012 with Habib Faisal's crime drama Ishaqzaade opposite Parineeti Chopra, a critical and commercial success. Kapoor's role was that of Parma Chauhan, a chauvinistic brat who seduces the daughter of a rival family. Taran Adarsh of the entertainment portal Bollywood Hungama wrote of his performance: "Arjun Kapoor makes a fantastic debut. He has a peerless body language and a 'I-don't-give-a-damn' kind of an approach in the movie. He comes across as fiery and rustic and at the same time self-assured and assertive in this reckless and intrepid character".
2014 – presentEdit
In 2014, Kapoor's first two releases were highly successful. He first played opposite Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra in Gunday, an action thriller from director Ali Abbas Zafar. The film tells the fictional story of two coal bandits (played by Kapoor and Singh) who rise up to become the most powerful goons of Calcutta in the 1980s. Writing for India Today, Rohit Khilnani attributed the success of the film to the chemistry between Kapoor and Singh. With a worldwide revenue of over ₹1 billion (US$15 million), Gunday proved to be a box-office success.
After portraying roles in three consecutive crime films, Kapoor featured in the romantic comedy 2 States alongside Alia Bhatt. The film was an adaptation of Chetan Bhagat's novel of the same name, and narrated the story of two IIM Ahmedabad students who encounter trouble in convincing their parents to approve of their relationship. Critic Sarita Tanwar of Daily News and Analysis reviewed that "Arjun, who doubles as a narrator impresses with a role totally unlike anything he has done before". Kusumita Das of the Deccan Chronicle added that he "gets to show his range as an actor as his character is deftly explored as the son, the lover and the prospective son-in-law. The actor leaves an impact as a devoted son to his mother and an estranged one to his father." The film emerged as a major commercial success, earning over ₹1 billion (US$15 million) in domestic ticket sales.
Kapoor's third film release of 2014 was Homi Adajania's satirical English language film Finding Fanny, alongside Deepika Padukone, Naseeruddin Shah, Dimple Kapadia and Pankaj Kapur. Set in Goa, the film tells the story of five dysfunctional friends who set out on a road trip in search of a woman named Fanny. The film met with critical acclaim; writing for Mid Day, critic Shubha-Shetty Saha cited Kapoor's portrayal as his best performance to date, adding that he "plays his 'boy lost in the woods' character with surprising ease and competence". The action drama Tevar (2015) saw Kapoor play opposite Sonakshi Sinha as Pintoo, a lovable hooligan. The film was a remake of the Telugu film Okkadu (2003) and was produced by his father, Boney Kapoor. Writing for Rediff.com, critic Raja Sen criticised the film as "yet another of those mindless South remakes". The film failed at the box office.
The year 2016 saw Kapoor feature as the host of the seventh season of the television reality show Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi. He then took on the part of a stay-at-home husband in R. Balki's Ki & Ka (2016), a romantic comedy about gender stereotypes starring Kareena Kapoor. Ananya Bhattacharya of India Today considered Kapoor's performance to be "lazy in parts and too forced in others" though Sarita Tanwar of Daily News and Analysis thought that he was "immensely likable" in the part and commended him for keeping his character "real without making him wimpy". Despite receiving mixed reviews from critics, Ki & Ka was a commercial success, earning over ₹1 billion (US$15 million) worldwide. In 2017,Kapoor appeared with Shraddha Kapoor in Half Girlfriend, a film adaptation of the novel of the same name by Chetan Bhagat. He also starred in Anees Bazmee's film Mubarakan alongside his uncle Anil Kapoor, as well as Ileana D'Cruz and Athiya Shetty in the same year. Kapoor and Parineeti Chopra are expected to work together on Dibakar Banerjee's next film, Sandeep aur Pinky Faraar & Namastey England . Both films are scheduled to release in 2018.
Kapoor is a celebrity endorser for various brands and products, and is also the co-owner of the ISL team FC Pune City. In 2014 and again in 2015, he supported and endorsed the Earth Hour initiative in India. During this time, he was the Indian ambassador for World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and along with working towards creating awareness for Earth Hour, he has also helped raise awareness for conservation in the Sundarbans region of the country. In 2015, he supported the United Nations Global Goals campaign represented India at the Global Citizen Festival in New York City, where he gave a speech highlighting India's progress as a nation and the challenges faced by the country. In 2017, Arjun joined hands with the global movement and campaign to empower and educate women - Girl Rising. Philips also roped him as the brand ambassador for its ‘Male Grooming’ business. He is also a brand ambassador for Flying Machine and Royal Stag along with Ranveer Singh. Kapoor co-hosted the IIFA Awards ceremony in 2015 with Singh.. Arjun was also the brand ambassador for the world's leading bicycle manufacturer - Hero Cycles. He has also hosted the seventh season of the successful TV show Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi 7. As of 2017, he also endorses Smith & Jones ketchup, condiments and sauces, and Admiral England Sportswear & Sportshoes.
|2012||Ishaqzaade||Parineeti Chopra||Parma Chauhan/Pervez|
|2014||Gunday||Priyanka Chopra||Bala Bhattacharya|
|2 States||Alia Bhatt||Krish Malhotra|
|Finding Fanny||Deepika Padukone||Savio Da Gama||English language film|
|2015||Tevar||Sonakshi Sinha||Ghanshyam "Pintoo" Shukla|
|2016||Ki & Ka||Kareena Kapoor||Kabir Bansal|
|2017||Half Girlfriend||Shraddha Kapoor||Madhav Jha|
|Karan Singh/Charan Singh|
|2018||Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar||Parineeti Chopra||Satinder Dahiya|||
|2019||Panipat||Kriti Sanon||Sadhashiv Rao Bhau||Filming|
As a crew memberEdit
|2003||Kal Ho Naa Ho||Assistant director|
|2005||No Entry||Associate producer|
|2007||Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love||Assistant director|
|2015||16th IIFA Awards||Host||TV special|
|2016||Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi||Host||Reality Show|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Arjun Kapoor turns 28". 26 June 2013.
Arjun ... turned 28 today.
- Gupta, Priya (9 April 2014). "Last call my mother made was to Salman bhai: Arjun Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Arjun Kapoor turns 28". 26 June 2013.
- "In pics: The Boney-Anil-Sanjay Kapoor Family Tree". CNN. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Nooshian, Tinaz (22 April 2012). "Dad's second marriage tough on us as kids: Arjun Kapoor". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Arjun Kapoor reveals his fat pictures for the first time ever!". India Today. 13 May 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "Five things you should know about Arjun Kapoor". India Today. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "I am fortunate to work with Habib Faisal for Ishaqzaade: Arjun Kapoor – Entertainment". Daily News and Analysis. 11 May 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Rowdy Rathore Bumper Opening in Single Screens Good at Multiplexes". Box Office India. 26 May 2012. Archived from the original on 5 November 2013. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- Adarh, Taran. "Ishaqzaade". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Arjun Kapoor: Rising from 'Ishaqzaade' to 'Gunday'". The Times of India. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Khilnani, Rohit (14 February 2014). "Movie review: Gunday is old wine in a new bottle, it tastes awesome!". India Today. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Seshagiri, Sangeetha (23 February 2014). "'Gunday' Box Office Collection: Ranveer-Arjun Starrer Grosses 100 Crore Worldwide". International Business Times. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Tanwar, Sarita. "Film review: Two states starring Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor is realistic and fresh". DNA. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- Das, Kusumita. "Movie review '2 States': For those expecting to see a love story, this is not one". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Kaanchi and Revolver Rani Dull 2 States SUPER HIT With Solid Eighth Day". Box Office India. 26 April 2014. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Mobhhani, Suleman. "Bollywood's 100 Crore club". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Deepika Padukone and Arjun Kapoor team up for an English film". The Times of India. 10 May 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Mehta, Ankita (10 September 2014). "'Finding Fanny' Movie Review: Must Watch Film with Brilliant Performances". International Business Times. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- Saha, Shubha-Shetty (12 September 2014). "Movie Review: Finding Fanny". Mid Day. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Talreja, Vinod (17 October 2014). "Arjun Kapoor designs poster of his film 'Tevar'". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- Sen, Raja (9 January 2015). "Review: Tevar is a tiring watch". Rediff.com. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Tevar box office report". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 18 January 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Check out the contestants on 'Khatron Ke Khiladi' season 7 hosted by Arjun Kapoor". Daily News and Analysis. 27 January 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Bhattacharya, Ananya. "Ki And Ka movie review: Kareena and Arjun's bland role-reversal drama". India Today. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Tanwar, Sarita A. "'Ki and Ka' review: Arjun and Kareena's film is enjoyable when it stays away from clichés". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Box Office: Worldwide Collections of Ki & Ka". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Meet Madhav Jha: Arjun Kapoor begins shooting for 'Half Girlfriend'". Daily News and Analysis. 8 June 2016. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- Sonali, Kriti (5 September 2016). "Chacha-Bhatija jodi Anil Kapoor and Arjun Kapoor will release Mubarakan in July 2017". The Indian Express. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Arjun Kapoor and Parineeti Chopra's next film with Dibakar Banerjee gets a title". Bollywood Hungama. 3 July 2017. Retrieved 14 Oct 2017.
- com/news/bollywood/arjun-kapoor-sanjay-dutt-kriti-sanon-set-ashutosh-gowarikers-18th-century-battle-film-panipat/ "Arjun Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt and Kriti Sanon all set for Ashutosh Gowariker's 18th century battle film – Panipat" Check
|url=value (help). Bollywood Hungama. 14 Mar 2018. Retrieved 14 Mar 2018.
- "FC Pune City - About The Team". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Brand Ambassador Arjun Kapoor Continues To Support Earth Hour 2015". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Arjun Kapoor to spread awareness for WWF - India". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Arjun Kapoor to represent India at a global concert". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Arjun Kapoor becomes the face of the Girl Rising Campaign for gender equality". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- Bureau, Our. "Arjun Kapoor is Philips India brand ambassador". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Royal Stag ropes in Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Arjun Kapoor is the New Brand Ambassador for Flying Machine". businesswireindia.com. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "IIFA 2015: Aamir, Shahid, 'Bombay Velvet' – Hosts Ranveer, Arjun didn't spare anybody". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Hero Cycles ropes in Arjun Kapoor as brand ambassador". Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "'Khatron Ke Khiladi 7': Arjun Kapoor is the new host". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Arjun Kapoor announced as ambassador of Smith & Jones ketchup". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Admiral India - #LiveTheMoment feat. Arjun Kapoor". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Actor Arjun Kapoor is endorsing Admiral England sports shoes". Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Sandeep Aur Pinky Faraar (2018)".
- "Newcomers Nominations: Fresh Entry of the Year". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Kumar, Ravi. "People's Choice Awards 2012 Nominees". Archived from the original on 30 November 2012. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations".
- "Filmfare Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "ETC Bollywood Business Awards 2012 / 2013 – Nominations". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Stardust Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Trivedi, Dhiren. "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?".
- "TOIFA Awards 2013 Nominations".
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2014". Bollywood Hungama. 8 December 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Big Star Entertainment Awards Nominations List 2014". Reliance Broadcast Network. Archived from the original on 16 December 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Bollywood's youth brigade rock the Big Star Entertainment Awards". Daily Mail. 19 December 2014. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Nominations for 10th Renault Star Guild Awards". Bollywood Hungama. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Crowd Favourites". The Indian Express. 3 January 2015. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "'2 States', 'Haider' lead IIFA 2015 nominations, Aamir and SRK pitted for best actor". Daily News and Analysis. 14 April 2015. Retrieved 15 April 2015.