Rakul Preet Singh
Rakul Preet Singh (born 10 October 1990) is an Indian South Indian film actress and model who predominantly works in the Telugu film industry. She has also appeared in a number of Tamil, Hindi and Kannada movies.
|Rakul Preet Singh|
Rakul Preet at Femina Miss India 2018
10 October 1990 |
New Delhi, India
|Education||Bachelor of Science Honours in Mathematics|
|Alma mater||Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (173 cm)|
She started career as a model while in college, during which she also made her acting debut in the Kannada film Gilli (2009). In 2011 she participated in the Femina Miss India pageant in which she was placed fifth and won five pageant titles including People's Choice Miss Indiatimes, Pantaloons Femina Miss Fresh Face, Femina Miss Talented, Femina Miss Beautiful Smile and Femina Miss Beautiful Eyes.
She subsequently opted to become a full-time actress, making her Telugu debut in Keratam the same year and her Tamil debut in Thadaiyara Thaakka, the following year. In 2014 she also made her Bollywood debut in Yaariyan in which her performance was better received.
She was part of the commercially successful films like Venkatadri Express (2013), Current Theega (2014), Loukyam (2014), Kick 2 (2015), Bruce Lee - The Fighter (2015), Nannaku Prematho (2016), Sarrainodu (2016), Dhruva (2016), Rarandoi Veduka Chudham (2017), Spyder (2017) and Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru (2017) and established herself as one of the leading actresses in Telugu Cinema.
Born in a Punjabi family in New Delhi, Rakul did her schooling from Army Public School, Dhaula Kuan and later studied Mathematics at Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi. She has been an active golf player and played at national level.
Debut and struggles (2009–14)Edit
Rakul Preet Singh, who said that she had always dreamt of being an actress, began her career in modelling at age 18 while she was still in college. In 2009 she made her acting debut in the Kannada film, Gilli, a remake of Selvaraghavan's 7G Rainbow Colony. She stated that she signed up the film "with the aim to earn a little extra pocket money" and that she was unaware "how big south Indian films were". She won critical acclaim for her role in the film before returning to complete her degree and compete in the 2011 Femina Miss India pageant. Apart from the People's Choice Miss Indiatimes, she won four subtitles at the pageant including Pantaloons Femina Miss Fresh Face, Femina Miss Talented, Femina Miss Beautiful Smile and Femina Miss Beautiful Eyes. 
She returned to films in 2011, featuring opposite Siddharth Rajkumar in Keratam which was released both in Telugu and Malayalam languages, though critics noted that "she got very little screen time". The film was also made in Tamil simultaneously titled as "Yuvan" with the same cast but different director. In 2012, she appeared in a supporting role in the Tamil film Thadaiyara Thaakka.
In Jan 2013 she appeared in a Tamil film titled Puthagam. In Nov 2013 she was seen in Venkatadri Express in Telugu, the latter becoming a commercial success and earning her first ever Best Actress nomination at the 61st Filmfare Awards South.
In 2014, she debuted in a starring role in Bollywood with Divya Kumar's directorial debut Yaariyan, after which her third Tamil film Yennamo Yedho released. By mid-2014, she was working on three Telugu films simultaneously, which were directed by Sriwass, G. Nageswara Reddy, and Gopichand Malineni. Sriwass's Loukyam and G. Nageswara Reddy's Current Theega were her next releases. She received positive reviews for her performances in both films, with 123telugu.com going on to claim that she was "slowly becoming a star actress". She received her second Best Actress nomination at 62nd Filmfare Awards South. Her next released film was Pandaga Chesko in which she was starred opposite Ram Pothineni and directed by Gopichand Malineni.
Public recognition and success (2015–present)Edit
Rakul Preet Singh was then selected as the female lead in half-a-dozen, four of which are high-profile Telugu films: Surender Reddy's Kick 2 opposite Ravi Teja, Srinu Vaitla's Bruce Lee opposite Ram Charan, Sukumar's Nannaku Prematho opposite Jr. Ntr and Boyapati Srinu's Sarrainodu opposite Allu Arjun. She was greatly praised for her movie Nannaku Prematho as she dubbed first time ever for herself in this film and earning her first ever Best Actress award at Jio SIIMA 2017. In January 2016 she signed the film Jaya Janaki Nayaka under the direction of Boyapati Srinu opposite Bellamkonda Sreenivas for which she charged ₹1.5 crore (US$220,000). In February 2016 she signed Surender Reddy's Dhruva starring opposite Ram Charan for the second time.
In early March 2016 she signed Gopichand Malineni's film Winner starring with Sai Dharam Tej for the first time. In early July 2016, she signed to AR Murugadoss' bilingual film opposite to Mahesh Babu, titled Spyder. In September 2016 she signed another Telugu film titled Rarandoi Veduka Chudham directed by Kalyan Krishna starring opposite Naga Chaitanya. The movie was released on 26 May which was a huge blockbuster. She later has received a lot of applause for her look and character as Bramaramba in Rarandoi Veduka Chudham.
In early January 2018, she signed her next Tamil film opposite to Suriya under Selvaraghavan direction. In 2018, Rakul Preet Singh to star with Ajay Devgn and Tabu in Luv Ranjan's next Bollywood film romcom. 
She has an active franchise of three functional training gyms named Functional 45. Two of them are in Hyderabad located in Gachibowli and Kokapet and one in Visakhapatnam. She also bought a new apartment in Hyderabad of worth ₹3 crore (US$450,000) to stay with her family. She has an official app called the Rakul Preet Official app
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2012||Gayathri Ramakrishnan||Magizh Thirumeni||Tamil|
|2013||Prarthana||Merlapaka Gandhi||Telugu||Nominated- Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Telugu|
|2014||Saloni||Divya Khosla Kumar||Hindi|
|2014||Nandu||C. H. Subba Reddy||Telugu|
|2014||Chandrakala "Chandu"||Sriwass||Telugu||Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Telugu
Nominated - SIIMA Awards for Best Actress
|2014||Current Theega||Kavita||G. Nageswara Reddy||Telugu|
|2015||Riya Bharadwaj||Srinu Vaitla||Telugu|
|2016||Divyanka / Divya||Sukumar||Telugu||Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Telugu
SIIMA Awards for Best Actress
|2016||Jaanu / Mahalakshmi||Boyapati Srinu||Telugu|
|2017||Bhramarambha||Kalyan Krishna Kurasala||Telugu|
|2017||Janaki / Sweety||Boyapati Srinu||Telugu|
|2017||Charlie||AR Murugadoss||Telugu / Tamil||Bilingual film|
|2017||Priya Theeran||H. Vinoth||Tamil|
|2018||Sonia Gupta||Neeraj Pandey||Hindi|
Awards and NominationsEdit
|2014||61st Filmfare Awards South||Best Actress – Telugu||Venkatadri Express||Nominated|
|2015||CineMAA Awards||Best Actress (Jury)||Loukyam||Won|
|62nd Filmfare Awards South||Best Actress – Telugu||Nominated|
|4th South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actress – Telugu||Nominated|
|2016||Zee Telugu Apsara Awards||Most Popular Heroine of the Year||Pandaga Chesko,
Bruce Lee - The Fighter
|Sakshi Excellence Awards||Most Popular Actor (Female)||Pandaga Chesko,
Bruce Lee - The Fighter
|2017||Zee Cinemalu Awards||Golden star of the year||Dhruva,
|Fittest star of the year||-||Won|
|Zee Telugu Apsara Awards||Style Icon of the Year||-||Won|
|64th Filmfare Awards South||Best Actress – Telugu||Nannaku Prematho||Nominated|
|6th South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actress – Telugu||Won|
|South Indian Fashion Awards||Fashion Icon (Female)||-||Won|
|Radio City Cine Awards||Best Actress||Dhruva,
Rarandoi Veduka Chudham,
Jaya Janaki Nayaka,
|Zee Golden Awards||Favorite Heroine of the Year||Rarandoi Veduka Chudham||Nominated|
- "Rakul Preet turns 24". Rediff. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Rakul Preet turns 25, T-Town celebs party in Hyderabad". The Times of India. TNN. 12 October 2015. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Rakul Preet Ayyer Educational qualification, Family, Biography & More". starsunfolded.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (25 January 2016). "Rakul Preet Ayyer interview: In the big league and loving it". The Hindu. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- "Rakul Preet Singh announced as the ambassador of Telangana's Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao programme - Times of India". indiatimes.com.
- "Miss India Winners 2011 - Beauty Pageants - Indiatimes". indiatimes.com.
- Nimisha Tiwari; Deepali Dhingra. "Miss India 2011: The big night". Times of India. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Rakul Preet Singh - Femina Miss India". indiatimes.com.
- Nijher, Jaspreet (7 February 2013). "The kudis of Punjab flock South". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- The kudis of Punjab flock South – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (7 February 2013). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- "India voted for me: Rakul Preet Singh". The Times of India. 18 April 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Logesh Balachandran (5 November 2013). "Rakul Preet Singh's success story". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Sangeetha Devi Dundoo (23 September 2014). "Swamped with work". The Hindu.
- "Gilli – Well done Gururaj!". Indiaglitz.com. 19 October 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Siddharth Rajkumar's movie titled 'Keratam' - Malayalam Movie News - IndiaGlitz.com". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 2018-05-27.
- "Yuvan producer sidelining Aishwarya". The Times of India. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Rakul's tryst with K'wood". The Times of India. 24 June 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Rakul Preet Singh (Tamil Actress). Article from Tamil Actress Diary (Feb 27, 2018)
- ‘Venkatadri Express’ continues good run. 123telugu.com. Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- 'Venkatadri Express' hit, Chota K. Naidu calls it team effort – IBNLive. Ibnlive.in.com (2 December 2013). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- 61st Filmfare Awards (South) Nominations: 'Attarintiki Daredi' Leads; Complete List of Nominees. Ibtimes.co.in (2 July 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- "South Indian cinema is the place to be: Rakul Preet". The Times of India. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Sashidhar AS (4 May 2014). "Rakul Preet replaces Hansika in Ram's film". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Gopichand-Sriwaas' new film launched". The Times of India. 11 April 2014. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Rakul Preet joins the sets of Manchu Manoj's next". The Times of India. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Movie review ‘Loukyam’: It’s a routine comedy one. Deccanchronicle.com (26 September 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- Loukyam Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (26 September 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- Current Theega Telugu Movie Review. 123telugu.com (31 October 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- "Surender Reddy confirms the heroine in Kick 2". IndiaGlitz (11 September 2014). Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "Rakul with Ram Charan". The Times of India (18 February 205). Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "NTR to romance Rakul Preet". The Times of India (5 January 2015). Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Rakul Preet Singh pairs up with Allu Arjun". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "No Telugu, no work".
- "Rakul Preet hikes fee, charges Rs 1.5 crore". Deccanchronicle.com (17 January 2016). Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- "Rakul Preet Singh in Telugu remake of ‘Thani Oruvan’". Indianexpress.com (7 February 2016). Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- Jonnalagedda, Pranita (12 March 2016). "Rakul Preet to romance Sai Dharam Tej". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- "Murugadoss flags off Gopichand Malineni’s film". Thehansindia.com (29 February 2016). Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- "Not Parineeti Chopra, but Rakul Preet Singh in AR Murugadoss' next - Times of India". indiatimes.com.
- "Rakul Preet Singh replaces Parineeti Chopra in Mahesh Babu’s next". Indianexpress.com (8 July 2016). Retrieved on 20 February 2017.
- "Rakul Preet steps in as Parineeti exits Mahesh Babu’s next". Hindustantimes.com (updated 7 July 2016). Retrieved on 20 February 2017.
- "Rakul Preet to romance Chay". Thehansindia.com (9 September 2016). Retrieved on 20 February 2017.
- "Rarandoi Veduka Chudham box office: Naga Chaitanya, Nagarjuna declare the film a success".
- "Rarandoi Veduka Chuddam: Been there, seen that".
- "Karthi's next titled Dheeran Adhigaram Ondru". Deccan Chronicle. 22 December 2016. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Neeraj Pandey's 'Aiyaary' to release on February 9 - Times of India". indiatimes.com.
- "Rakul "Preet Singh, Sai Pallavi in Suriya's next!"". indiatimes.com.
- "Rakul Preet to star alongside Ajay Devgn and Tabu in this rom-com". Bollywood Hungama. 16 Jan 2018. Retrieved 17 Jan 2018.
- "Karthi "to romance Rakul again, Harris on board!"". sify.com.
- "Karthi-Rakul "Preet's film to be shot in chennai, hyderabad, mumbai and himalayan regions."". onlykollywood.com.
- "Rakul spends Rs 6 crore to buy a house". Thehansindia.com (5 March 2016). Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- Kha, Neha (16 February 2016) "Rakul Preet Singh turns entrepreneur". Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 4 June 2016.