Rakul Preet Singh
|Rakul Preet Singh|
Rakul Preet Singh at Baqar's spinnathon in January 2014 during the promotions of Yaariyan.
10 October 1990 |
New Delhi, India
|Residence||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Alma mater||Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi|
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
Rakul started a modelling career while in college, during which she also made her acting debut in the Kannada film Gilli (2009). In 2011, she participated in the Femina Miss India pageant in which she was placed fifth and won five pageant titles, including 'Miss India People’s Choice'. She subsequently opted to become a full-time actress, making her Telugu debut in Keratam the same year and her Tamil debut in Thadaiyara Thaakka, the following year. In 2014 she also made her Bollywood debut in Yaariyan in which her performance was better received.
Singh was part of the commercially successful Telugu films like Venkatadri Express (2013), Current Theega (2014) and Loukyam (2014), leading her to land in bigger projects in the industry like Kick 2 (2015), Bruce Lee (2015), Nannaku Prematho (2016), Sarrainodu (2016) and Dhruva (2016). In a short span of two years she established herself as one of the leading actresses in Telugu Cinema.
Born in a Punjabi family in New Delhi, Rakul did her schooling from Army Public School, Dhaula Kuan and later studied Mathematics at Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi. She has been an active golf player and played at national level.
Debut and struggles (2009–14)Edit
Rakul, who said that she had always dreamt of being an actress, began her career in modelling at age 18 while she was still in college. In 2009 she made her acting debut in the Kannada film, Gilli, a remake of Selvaraghavan's 7G Rainbow Colony. She stated that she signed up the film "with the aim to earn a little extra pocket money" and that she was unaware "how big south Indian films were". She won critical acclaim for her role in the film before returning to complete her degree and compete in the 2011 Femina Miss India pageant. Apart from the Miss India Poll, Rakul won four subtitles at the pageant including Pantaloons Femina Miss Fresh Face, Femina Miss Talented, Femina Miss Beautiful Smile and Femina Miss Beautiful Eyes.
She returned to films in 2011, featuring opposite Siddharth Rajkumar in [[Keratam, though critics noted that she "got very little screen time". The film was also made in Tamil simultaneously with the same cast but a different director as Yuvan, though the film is yet to release. In 2012, she appeared in a supporting role in the Tamil film Thadaiyara Thaakka. 2013 she was seen in two films, Puthagam in Tamil and Venkatadri Express in Telugu, the latter becoming a commercial success and earning her first ever Best Actress nomination at the 61st Filmfare Awards South.
In 2014, Rakul debuted in a starring role in Bollywood with Divya Kumar's directorial debut Yaariyan, after which her third Tamil film Yennamo Yedho released. By mid-2014, she was working on four Telugu films simultaneously, which were directed by Sriwaas, G. Nageswara Reddy, Srinivas Reddy and Gopichand Malineni, respectively. Sriwaas' Loukyam and G. Nageswara Reddy's Current Theega were her next releases. She received positive reviews for her performances in both films, with 123telugu.com going on to claim that she was "slowly becoming a star actress".. She received her second Best Actress nomination at 62nd Filmfare Awards South.Her next released film was Pandaga Chesko.Rakul Preet was recently awarded Jio SIIMA 2017 Best Actress award for her performance in Nannaku Prematho.
Public recognition and success (2015–present)Edit
Rakul was then selected as the female lead in half-a-dozen, four of which are high-profile Telugu films: Surender Reddy's Kick 2 opposite Ravi Teja, Srinu Vaitla's Bruce Lee opposite Ram Charan, Sukumar's Nannaku Prematho opposite Jr. Ntr and Boyapati Srinu's Sarrainodu opposite Allu Arjun. She also has a Hindi film, Ramesh Sippy's Shimla Mirchi, coming up.
In January 2016 she signed a film under the direction of Boyapati Srinu opposite Bellamkonda Sreenivas for which she charged ₹1.5 crore (US$230,000). In February 2016 she signed Surender Reddy's Dhruva starring opposite Ram Charan for the second time.
In early March 2016 she signed Gopichand Malineni's untitled film starring opposite Sai Dharam Tej for the first time. In early July 2016, she signed AR Murugadoss bilingual film opposite Mahesh Babu, which is titled as SPYDER. In September 2016 she signed another Telugu film directed by Kalyan Krishna starring opposite Naga Chaitanya.. The movie was released on 26th May which was a huge blockbuster. In Dec 2016, she has signed her next film titled Theeran Athikaram Ondru to pair against Karthi..Her next Telugu movie Jaya Janaki Nayaka is under the process of filming, in which she has paired against Bellamkonda Sreenivas and directed by Boyapati Srinu.
Appreciation for her workEdit
Rakul Preet was greatly praised as she dubbed for herself in the movie Nannaku Prematho. She later has received a lot of applause for her look and character as Bramaramba in Rarandoy Veduka Chuddam, starring against Naga Chaitanya.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2012||Thadaiyara Thaakka||Gayathri Ramakrishnan||Tamil||Tamil debut|
|Venkatadri Express||Prarthana||Telugu||Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu|
|Loukyam||Chandrakala||Telugu||Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu|
|Bruce Lee - The Fighter||Riya||Telugu|
|2016||Nannaku Prematho||Divyanka||Telugu||Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu|
|Ra Randoi Veduka Chudham||Bhramarambha||Telugu|
|Jaya Janaki Nayaka||TBA||Telugu||Filming|
|Theeran Athikaram Ondru||TBA||Tamil||Filming|
- "Rakul Preet turns 24". Rediff. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Rakul Preet turns 25, T-Town celebs party in Hyderabad". The Times of India. TNN. 12 October 2015. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Rakul spends Rs 3 crore to buy a house". Thehansindia.com (5 March 2016). Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- "Rakul Preet Singh – Femina Miss India 2011 Contestants". Indiatimes.com. Archived from the original on 1 December 2013.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (25 January 2016). "Rakul Preet Singh interview: In the big league and loving it". The Hindu. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- Nimisha Tiwari & Deepali Dhingra. "Miss India 2011: The big night". Times of India. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- Nijher, Jaspreet (7 February 2013). "The kudis of Punjab flock South". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- The kudis of Punjab flock South – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (7 February 2013). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- "India voted for me: Rakul Preet Singh". The Times of India. 18 April 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Logesh Balachandran (5 November 2013). "Rakul Preet Singh's success story". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Sangeetha Devi Dundoo (23 September 2014). "Swamped with work". The Hindu.
- "Gilli – Well done Gururaj!". Indiaglitz.com. 19 October 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Keratam Movie Review". Supergoodmovies.com. 29 August 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Yuvan producer sidelining Aishwarya". The Times of India. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "Rakul's tryst with K'wood". The Times of India. 24 June 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- ‘Venkatadri Express’ continues good run. 123telugu.com. Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- 'Venkatadri Express' hit, Chota K. Naidu calls it team effort – IBNLive. Ibnlive.in.com (2 December 2013). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- 61st Filmfare Awards (South) Nominations: 'Attarintiki Daredi' Leads; Complete List of Nominees. Ibtimes.co.in (2 July 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- "South Indian cinema is the place to be: Rakul Preet". The Times of India. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Sashidhar AS (4 May 2014). "Rakul Preet replaces Hansika in Ram's film". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Gopichand-Sriwaas’ new film launched". The Times of India. 11 April 2014. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Rakul Preet joins the sets of Manchu Manoj's next". The Times of India. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Rakul bags Nithiin's next". The Times of India. 5 March 2014. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Movie review ‘Loukyam’: It’s a routine comedy one. Deccanchronicle.com (26 September 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- Loukyam Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (26 September 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- Current Theega Telugu Movie Review. 123telugu.com (31 October 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- "SIIMA 2017 Day 1: Shivarajkumar, Jr NTR, Rakul Preet win big. Here are all the winners. See photos, videos".
- "Surender Reddy confirms the heroine in Kick 2". IndiaGlitz (11 September 2014). Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "Rakul with Ram Charan". The Times of India (18 February 205). Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "NTR to romance Rakul Preet". The Times of India (5 January 2015). Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "Rakul Preet Singh pairs up with Allu Arjun". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Shimla Mirchi: Sunday workshops for Rakul Preet and Rajkummar Rao". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (12 August 2014). Retrieved on 10 October 2015.
- "Rakul Preet hikes fee, charges Rs 1.5 crore". Deccanchronicle.com (17 January 2016). Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- "Rakul Preet Singh in Telugu remake of ‘Thani Oruvan’". Indianexpress.com (7 February 2016). Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- Jonnalagedda, Pranita (12 March 2016). "Rakul Preet to romance Sai Dharam Tej". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- "Murugadoss flags off Gopichand Malineni’s film". Thehansindia.com (29 February 2016). Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- "Not Parineeti Chopra, but Rakul Preet Singh in AR Murugadoss’ next"
- "Rakul Preet Singh replaces Parineeti Chopra in Mahesh Babu’s next". Indianexpress.com (8 July 2016). Retrieved on 2017-02-20.
- "Rakul Preet steps in as Parineeti exits Mahesh Babu’s next". Hindustantimes.com (updated 7 July 2016). Retrieved on 20 February 2017.
- "Rakul Preet to romance Chay". Thehansindia.com (9 September 2016). Retrieved on 2017-02-20.
- "Rarandoi Veduka Chudham box office: Naga Chaitanya, Nagarjuna declare the film a success.".
- "Karthi’s next titled Dheeran Adhigaram Ondru". Deccan Chronicle. 22 December 2016. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Jaya Janaki Nayaka is the title of Boyapati’s next".
- "No Telugu, no work".
- "Rarandoi Veduka Chuddam: Been there, seen that".
- Kha, Neha (16 February 2016) "Rakul Preet Singh turns entrepreneur". Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved on 4 June 2016.
- "Spyder Teaser". Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "Romantic scenes of Mahesh-Rakul being shot". Deccanchronicle.com (23 August 2016). Retrieved on 20 February 2017.