Surinder Kapoor (23 December 1925 — 24 September 2011) was an Indian film producer. He produced Bollywood films and also served as President of the Film & Television Producers Guild of India from 1995 to 2001. He was born in Peshawar, British India (in present-day Pakistan). Surinder Kapoor belonged to a Punjabi Hindu family from Peshawar. He is a distant relative of the Kapoor family.
|Died||24 September 2011 (aged 85)|
|Children||Boney Kapoor (son)|
Anil Kapoor (son)
Sanjay Kapoor (son)
Reena Kapoor Marwah (daughter)
|Relatives||See Surinder Kapoor family and Kapoor family|
Prithviraj Kapoor, the Bollywood actor, is the one who invited Surinder Kapoor to Bombay to join the Hindi Film Industry. He started his film career as a secretary to Hindi film star of the 1950s Geeta Bali. The Dada Saheb Phalke Academy honoured him with the Shri L V Prasad Phalke award in 2009. When asked in an interview, how he established S.K.International Films, he quoted in an interview "Rajesh Khanna who played the title-role in Shehzada was truly of a princely disposition. He started shooting for me without ever discussing the price, saying that we could settle that once the film is made, he said and made banner S. K. International Films became an acknowledged company." His first successful film in Hindi as a producer was Shehzada directed by K. Shankar which was a remake of Tamil film Idhu Sathiyam (1963). However, Surinder's subsequent release Phool Khile Hain Gulshan Gulshan (film) and Bikash Rao were flops, due to which he went into huge debts. Later as a producer in the 1980s he made good money with his productions, which were remakes of Kannada, Tamil or Telugu films like Hum Paanch, Woh Saat Din, Loafer, Judaai, Sirf Tum, Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai, Pukar, No Entry - all of them starring his son Anil Kapoor in the lead.
His three sons, Boney, Anil and Sanjay, are also involved in the film industry. Anil Kapoor is a successful Bollywood actor. His daughter-in-law Sridevi married to his eldest son Boney was a famous Bollywood actress. His daughter, Reena, is married to Sandeep Marwah of Marwah Films and Video Studios. Boney is a well known and a famous Producer and Sanjay acted in several movies.
- Pukar, producer
- No Entry (2005), producer
- Bhooka Sher (2001), director and producer
- Zakhmi Sherni (2001) director and producer
- Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai (2000), producer
- Sirf Tum (1999), producer
- Judaai (1997), producer
- Loafer (1996), producer
- Thanedarni (1994), director
- Woh Saat Din (1983), producer
- Hum Paanch (1980), producer
- Phool Khile Hain Gulshan Gulshan (1978), producer
- Ponga Pandit (1975), Producer utv
- Milenge Milenge (2010), producer
- Bikash Rao
- Shehzada (1972)
- "Surinder Kapoor & Prithviraj Kapoor". Rediff.com. 4 May 2009. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- "Its all in the family". The Times of India. 2 October 2009. Archived from the original on 8 July 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Bollywood veteran Manoj Kumar felicitated with Phalke Ratna award". Zee news. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- http://syndication.screenindia.com/news/the-other-kapoor/511928/[permanent dead link]
- "Film producer Surinder Kapoor dies". Daily Bhaskar. 25 September 2011. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Pradhan, Bharathi (2 October 2011). "Separation pangs for Sri". The Telegraph. Retrieved 28 March 2012.