Tara Sutaria (born 19 November 1995) is an Indian actress. She started her television career as a child artist in 2010 with Disney India's Big Bada Boom and went on to star in the channel's sitcoms The Suite Life of Karan & Kabir (2012) and Oye Jassie (2013). In 2019, Sutaria ventured into films by playing a college student in the teen drama Student of the Year 2 and a mute girl in the action film Marjaavaan.
Sutaria in 2019
|Born||19 November 1995|
|Alma mater||St. Andrew’s College|
Sutaria was born on 19 November 1995 to a Zoroastrian Parsi family. She has a twin sister named Pia. Both trained in classical ballet, modern dance and Latin American dances at the School of Classical Ballet and Western Dance, Royal Academy of Dance, United Kingdom and the Imperial Society for Teachers of Dancing, United Kingdom. She has been a professional singer since she was seven years old, having sung in operas and competitions since then. She received a bachelor's degree in Mass Media from St. Andrew’s College of Arts, Science and Commerce.
Sutaria started her association with Disney Channel India as a video jockey and continued to be associated with them, having two successful sitcoms to her credit. She has also been recording music in India and abroad for films, advertisements, and her own original work. Her song "Slippin' Through My Fingers" is part of the Ashwin Gidwani Production of Bharat Dhabholkar's Blame It On Yashraj. She has also played the lead role of Sandy in Raell Padamsee's production of the musical Grease. She has recorded and performed solo concerts in London, Tokyo, Lavasa and Mumbai. She has performed with Louiz Banks, Mikey McCleary and has also been a soloist for the Stop-Gaps Choral Ensemble, singing at the NCPA for over a decade. She was one of the top seven finalists of the 2008 "Pogo Amazing Kids Awards" in the singer category. She received recognition for her roles of Vinnie in The Suite Life of Karan & Kabir and Jassie in Oye Jassie.
Sutaria was among two actresses selected for the part of Princess Jasmine in the American fantasy film Aladdin (2019), but lost the role to Naomi Scott. She made her film debut later that year with Punit Malhotra's coming-of-age teen film Student of the Year 2 alongside Tiger Shroff and Ananya Panday. Produced by Karan Johar, it served as a standalone sequel to Student of the Year (2012) and narrates the story of a college student (portrayed by Shroff) who competes to win an annual school championship. Reviewing the film for The Indian Express, Shubhra Gupta wrote, "Tara Sutaria is perfectly put together and yet looks assembly-line produced". She received a nomination for the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut. The film underperformed at the box office.
Later in 2019, Sutaria played the role of Zoya, a mute music teacher, alongside Sidharth Malhotra, Riteish Deshmukh and Rakul Preet Singh, in Milap Zaveri's action film Marjaavaan. In preparation, she learnt sign language. In a scathing review for The Hindu, Namrata Joshi found the film to be "loud, overcooked and overdone" and wrote that Sutaria was reduced to "smiling and weeping alternately".
Sutaria will next feature in Milan Luthria's romantic thriller Tadap, opposite newcomer Ahan Shetty, and in a sequel to the 2014 thriller Ek Villain, co-starring Aditya Roy Kapur, John Abraham and Disha Patani.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2019||Student of the Year 2||Mridula "Mia" Chawla||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut|
Zee Cine Award for Best Female Debut
|2010||Big Bada Boom||Herself|
|2011||Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega||Herself|
|2012||Best of Luck Nikki||Nina/Tina||Cameo|
|2012||The Suite Life of Karan & Kabir||Vinita "Vinnie" Mishra|
|2013||Oye Jassie||Jaspreet "Jassie" Singh|
|2013||Shake It Up||Herself||Cameo|
- Kriti Sonali (19 November 2018). "Inside photos from SOTY 2 star Tara Sutaria's birthday bash". Indian Express. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Joginder Tuteja (6 May 2019). ""Tiger Shroff is an incredible dance partner" – Tara Sutaria on her Student of the Year 2 co-star"". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- Pratibha Devasenapathy (24 May 2018). "Here are some facts about 'Student of the Year 4' debutante Tara Sutaria". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Who is Tara Sutaria?". The Indian Express. 11 April 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Chatterjee, Arundhati (8 September 2013). "The balancing act". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "The brat pack - Indian Express". archive.indianexpress.com.
- "Disney Channel launches all new family sitcom: 'The Suite Life of Karan and Kabir' on April 8". Business Standard India. 5 April 2012 – via Business Standard.
- Ford, Rebecca; Galuppo, Mia (11 July 2017). "'Aladdin': Disney Struggles to Find Stars for Its Live-Action Movie". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 July 2017.
- Gupta, Shubhra (10 May 2019). "Student of the Year 2 review: Everything is dispiritedly familiar". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 10 May 2019. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Nominations for Filmfare Awards 2020". Filmfare. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "Student Of The Year 2 Drops In Week Two". Box Office India. 24 May 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Marjavaan: Tara Sutaria to romance Sidharth Malhotra in Milap Zaveri's next". India Today. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Hungama, Bollywood (28 September 2019). "SCOOP! Tara Sutaria plays a mute in Sidharth Malhotra starrer Marjaavaan :Bollywood Film News - Bollywood Hungama". Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- Joshi, Namrata (15 November 2019). "'Marjaavaan' movie review: Death by masala film". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2019.
- "RX100 Hindi remake: Ahan Shetty and Tara Sutaria's Tadap goes on floors". India Today. 6 August 2019.
- Mankad, Himesh (11 March 2020). "Tara Sutaria joins Aditya Roy Kapur in Ek Villain sequel". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 11 March 2020.
- "Filming begins... Glimpses from mahurat ceremony... Ahan Shetty - son of Suniel Shetty - begins his journey in #Hindi films with the #Hindi adaptation of #Telugu film #RX100... Costars Tara Sutaria... Directed by Milan Luthria... Produced by Sajid Nadiadwala". Retrieved 6 August 2019.
- "Disney to launch "Big Bada Boom" (PDF). Retrieved 21 December 2019.
- Srivastava, Shruti (11 April 2018). "'SOTY 2' actress Tara Sutaria in her teens did four TV shows including 'Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega'". news.abplive.com. Retrieved 20 February 2020.
- "Masakali 2.0 teaser out: Sidharth Malhotra romancing Tara Sutaria is Marjaavaan 2.0". India Today. 7 April 2020. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tara Sutaria.|