Rohit Shetty (born 14 March 1973) is an Indian film director and producer. His work as a filmmaker includes the films Golmaal, Golmaal Returns, Golmaal 3, Singham, Bol Bachchan, Singham Returns, Dilwale and Chennai Express, for which he was nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Director.
14 March 1973 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Film director, producer, presenter|
|Spouse(s)||Maya Rohit Shetty (m. 2005)|
|Parent(s)||M. B. Shetty
He started his career at the age of 17 as an assistant director with Kuku Kohli during Phool Aur Kaante (Ajay Devgn's debut film that costarred Madhoo). Then he assisted him in Ek Aur Kohinoor, which was never released. He also worked with him on Suhaag (starring Ajay Devgn, Akshay Kumar, Karisma Kapoor), Haqeeqat (starring Ajay Devgn, Tabu) and Zulmi (starring Akshay Kumar, Twinkle Khanna).
Shetty directed his debut feature film, Zameen, as an independent director with Devgn in 2003 at the age of 30. Zameen did average business at the boxoffice. He rose to fame after he directed the 2006 comedy film, Golmaal: Fun Unlimited starring Ajay Devgan, Arshad Warsi, Tusshar Kapoor and Sharman Joshi.
In 2008, he directed his third film, Sunday, starring Devgn, Warsi and Ayesha Takia. Sunday was a comic-thriller. Shetty's second 2008 project, was the sequel to Golmaal, titled Golmaal Returns. The sequel featured most of the original cast, except Sharman Joshi, who was replaced by Shreyas Talpade, and starred Kareena Kapoor. Golmaal Returns. In 2009, he released All the Best: Fun Begins. In 2010, Shetty directed Golmaal 3. Shetty's 2011 Singham also featured Devgn in the title role, as a Police Inspector fighting against corruption. Singham was praised for the action sequences and direction, and Devgn's performance. His next release, Bol Bachchan, is a comedy-drama starring Devgn and Abhishek Bachchan. Bol Bachchan was a commercial success in India.
Shetty's Chennai Express, starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone, was released on 9 August 2013. Chennai Express became the highest-grossing Bollywood film in the domestic market. The film earned over US$17.4 million to become the third-highest-grossing Bollywood film overseas. The film also set a number of box office records, for the highest opening-day gross, highest paid preview, highest single-day gross, biggest opening weekend, highest opening week and the fastest film to reach ₹100 crore and ₹2 billion in the domestic market.
In 2014, Shetty directed Singham Returns with Ajay Devgn, a sequel to his 2011 film Singham. He was also a part of the 5th season of television stunt game show Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi in 2014 as the host taking over from the previous host Akshay Kumar. In 2014, he turned into a producer with Singham Returns, co-producing the film under his banner Rohit Shetty Productions. He reprised his part as host of the 6th season of Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi.
Shetty directed Golmaal Again, the fourth film of the Golmaal series. The film, starring Ajay Devgn and Parineeti Chopra in lead, released in October 2017 to mixed reviews but became the highest grossing Hindi film of 2017, becoming the first Hindi blockbuster of the year. also becoming the highest grossing diwali release of all time.
|2006||Golmaal: Fun Unlimited||Yes|
|2009||All The Best: Fun Begins||Yes|
|2016||Ranveer Ching Returns||Yes||Yes|
|2014||Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi Darr Ka Blockbuster||Host|
|2015||Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi Darr Ka Blockbuster Returns||Host|
|2017||Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi Pain in Spain||Host|
|2018||India's Next Superstars||Judge|
Frequent actor collaborationsEdit
- "Rohit Shetty opts for working birthday". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Chennai Express collections: Blockbuster man Rohit Shetty". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "18th from the left in the seventh row". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "I can't act: Rohit Shetty". Mid-Day. 13 November 2009. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "In my family, we are all ready to uproot handpumps: Rohit Shetty". Hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Pereira, Priyanka (22 June 2011). "Action Reloaded". The Indian Express. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Rohit Shetty Filmography". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- Adarsh, Taran (2 October 2003). "Box Office Business Talks: 'Zameen' Did The Navratri Festival Affect Its Business?". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Singham". bollywoodhungama. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Bol Bachchan makes big noise at box-office". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "SRK-Rohit film sold for 105 crore - The Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Rohit Shetty open to Bol Bachchan sequel". Hindustantimes.com. 10 July 2012.
- "Bollywood's 100 Crore Club | 100 Crore Movies | Bollywood's Fastest 100 Crores". Koimoi.com. 2015-01-09. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Chennai Express Has Extraordinary Weekend Overseas Archived 17 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "'Chennai Express' breaks multiple records - The Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Kotwani, Hiren. "'I slash points for double meaning statements'". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Ajay Devgn, Rohit Shetty team up for Singham 2 | Bollywood News | Hindi Movies News | News". BollywoodHungama.com. 2013-06-08. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "'Khatron Ke Khiladi 5' is mix of stunts and entertainment: Rohit Shetty". DNA. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Sara Ali Khan confirmed as the female lead in Ranveer Singh's Simmba". The Indian Express. March 20, 2018.
- Harshikaa Udasi (2011-12-22). "Mentoring the penniless Richie Rich". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Meet the contestants of Fear Factor-Khatron Ke Khiladi 5 - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Rohit Shetty reveals his 13 contestants of Khatron Ke Khiladi - Darr Ka Blockbuster Returns". February 4, 2015. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- "Khatron Ke Khiladi season 8: Rohit Shetty's entry with a Tiger to Nia Sharma and Lopamudra Raut raising temperatures. Here's what first look of the show was like". Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Rohit Shetty makes his acting debut with India's Next Superstars finale". Retrieved March 27, 2018.
- "Discovery, Reliance Animation to produce new kids' series". Retrieved January 23, 2018.