Singham Returns is a 2014 Indian action film directed by Rohit Shetty and produced by Ajay Devgn FFilms. A sequel to the 2011 film Singham, actor Ajay Devgan reprises his role from the previous film, as well as co-producing the project, while Kareena Kapoor Khan plays the female lead thus replacing Kajal Aggarwal. The film was also simultaneously made in Marathi. The film was released worldwide on 15 August 2014.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rohit Shetty|
|Screenplay by||Yunus Sajawal|
|Story by||Rohit Shetty|
|Edited by||Steven Bernard|
|Distributed by||Reliance Entertainment|
|Box office||₹2.15 billion|
Bajirao Singham (Ajay Devgan) gets transferred to Mumbai and he discovers that one of his team members (Mahesh) is found dead inside an ambulance with massive bags of money. Bajirao decides to unearth the truth behind it and in this process, he collides with a powerful and fraudulent religious leader, Satyaraj Chandar a.k.a. Babaji (Amole Gupte), who has high-profile connections with corrupt politicians.
During this period, Guruji (Anupam Kher), is killed by Babaji, even though Singham was present at the scene. He vows revenge. Because of this, he has to pretend that he has resigned in front of his family. Due to this his father asks him and his childhood friend, Avni (Kareena Kapoor Khan), to come to their home town, Shivgarh. After some comic scenes, Singham and Avni, fall in love with each other. However, it is then revealed that Singham hasn't resigned and came to Shivgargh on a mission to get some evidences against Babaji.
When they get back to Mumbai, Babaji starts threatening Singham's family. He also harms all of Guruji's candidates, including Avni, because her brother is one of the candidates. Singham manages to save everyone but before they resign, one of Babaji's henchmen, Altaf (Pankaj Tripathi), wakes up from coma and testifies against him. Singham arrests Babaji and his left hand, Prakash Rao. However, some party workers execute an attack outside the court, killing the witnesses. This causes Babaji and Prakash Rao to receive bail. But after Babaji gets released, Singham goes to his house without wearing his police uniform and shoots at their buttocks to coerce them and the wounded Prakash Rao and Baba tell the truth.
A few weeks later, Guruji's party wins the elections. While being transported to jail, Prakash Rao and Baba once again threaten Singham. Suddenly, the van in which Prakash Rao and Baba are being transported in suddenly stops and the driver walks away. A water tanker crashes into the van and both of them are killed. Inspector Phadnis (Vineet Sharma) tells media that there was a brake failure, and the incident is deemed an accident.
- Ajay Devgan as Deputy Commissioner of Police Bajirao Singham
- Kareena Kapoor Khan as Avni Kamat
- Amole Gupte as Satyaraj Chandra Baba
- Anupam Kher as Gurukant "Guruji" Acharya
- Dayanand Shetty as Senior-Inspector Daya
- Vineet Sharma as Sub-Inspector Phadnis
- Zakir Hussain as Prakash Rao
- Mahesh Manjrekar as Chief Minister Vikram Adhikari
- Sonalee Kulkarni as Maneka
- Jitendra Joshi as Ashish (Maneka's boyfriend)
- Sameer Dharmadhikari as Kishore Kamat
- Deepraj Rana as Sunil Prabhat
- Sharat Saxena as Commissioner Rathore
- Ashwini Kalsekar as Meera Shorri
- Govind Namdev as Manikrao Singham
- Pankaj Tripathi as Altaf
- Sachin Nayak as Bhola
- Shriswara as Neeta Parmar
Director Rohit Shetty announced his thoughts on making a sequel to one of his finest movies Singham (2011). After filming Chennai Express with Shahrukh Khan, Shetty reportedly has begun filming for Singham 2 with the lead star Ajay Devgn. Filming was expected to go on floors by December 2013 after Shetty's last directorial venture, Chennai Express (2013) released with Shetty starting the work of Singham 2's pre-production along with that of his another film which incidentally is a sequel too, Golmaal 4. However Ajay Devgn the lead of the film canned 20 days of photography for his another film Action Jackson, directed by Prabhudeva and start another leg of the shoot from 10 November 2013. After several delays owing to Devgn's shooting his other film Action Jackson concurrently the principal photography for a 15-day schedule of the film started from 15 May 2014 in Goa. The shoot was held in few places like streets of Siolim, a village at located at a distance of about 25 Kilometres from Panaji. The ones which were held in Panaji were mostly indoor ones.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||5 August 2014|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Jeet Gannguli chronology|
|Meet Bros Anjjan chronology|
|Ankit Tiwari chronology|
|Yo Yo Honey Singh chronology|
|Singles from Singham Returns|
The soundtrack for the film was composed by Jeet Gannguli, Meet Bros Anjjan, Ankit Tiwari and Yo Yo Honey Singh. All the composers composed one song each. The soundtrack album contains four songs and one remix.
Another single "Aata Majhi Satakli" sung and composed by Yo Yo Honey Singh was released on 1 August 2014.
|1.||"Sun Le Zara"||Sandeep Nath||Jeet Gannguli||Arijit Singh||04:51|
|2.||"Singham Returns Theme"||Shabbir Ahmed||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros Anjjan, Mika Singh||04:38|
|3.||"Kuch Toh Hua Hai"||Sandeep Nath, Abhendra Kumar Upadhyay||Ankit Tiwari||Ankit Tiwari, Tulsi Kumar||05:07|
|4.||"Singham Returns Remix (MBA Swag)"||Shabbir Ahmed||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros Anjjan, Mika Singh||02:49|
|5.||"Aata Majhi Satakli"||Yo Yo Honey Singh||Yo Yo Honey Singh||Yo Yo Honey Singh, Mamta Sharma, Nitu Choudhry||03:14|
Prior to its release on the eve of Independence Day on 15 August, a right-wing Hindu organisation, HJS wrote to the CBFC asking that the film be banned on grounds of depiction of Hindu saints in a bad light thereby hurting the religious sentiments. Shetty denied the allegation stating that he has never made anything controversial in his career.
Singham Returns received mixed reviews from Indian critics. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave it 4 stars and said "The film is a complete mass entertainer with power-packed drama, hi-intensity dialogue and towering performances as its aces. The brand value attached to it coupled with a long weekend will help the film reap a harvest and rule the box office in days to come." Rohit Khilnani of India Today gave 3 stars and said "Singham Returns is strictly for fans". Shweta Kaushal of Hindustan Times gave two stars and said "Watch Singham Returns for the action, not comedy". Mohar Basu of Koimoi gave 2.5 stars and said "Ajay Devgan and the thrills his punches manage to evoke but the wafer thin plotline, hammy acting, predictable narrative and the lack of fun and excitement that drives a Rohit Shetty film". Shubra Gupta of the Indian Express gave 1.5 stars and said "The sequel to 'Singham' is chock full of the usual car on jeep action. Explosions go off at regular intervals. Shootouts – one really well shot – occur frequently." Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN gave 2.5 stars and said "The predictable story tires you out eventually".
Singham Returns nett. Collection over ₹32.09 crore (US$5.0 million) on the first day of its release in India. Domestic nett of Singham Returns are ₹140.62 crore (US$22 million). The film earned a final worldwide gross collection of ₹215.57 crore (US$34 million).
- Singham Returns 2014 Movie News, Wallpapers, Songs & Videos. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 12 August 2015.
- Marathi actors rule Singham Returns. Times of India. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Box Office India. "Singham Returns Movie Budget Info". Archived from the original on 19 September 2015.
- Top Worldwide Grossers All Time. Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved on 12 August 2015.
- "Kareena Kapoor transforms into Maharashtrian mulgi". indianexpress.com. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Singham Returns. Boxofficeindia.com (15 August 2014). Retrieved on 2015-04-21.
- "Hurry up with Singham 2". Deccan Chronicle. 15 October 2013. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Ajay's Singham 2 To Go On Floors In December". Koimoi.com. 12 June 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Rohit Shetty's Singham 2, Golmaal 4 To Go On Floors This Year". Koimoi. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Ajay Devgn, Prabhu Dheva to resume Action Jackson shoot next week | the trailer set be release on 11th july. Latest Movie Features". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Ajay Devgn's 'Singham 2′ to return to Goa". PTI. Indian Express. 5 May 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "First Singles of Singham Returns". MixRadio. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Second Single of Singham Returns". MixRadio. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "'Singham Returns' in controversy". Patrika Group (28 July 2014). Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Singham Returns controversy: Rohit says there`s nothing controversial in the film". Patrika Group. 31 July 2014. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "'Singham Returns' Movie Reviews: Typical Rohit Shetty's Film". 15 August 2014. International Business Times.
- Adarsh, Taran (15 August 2014). "Singham Returns". Bollywood Hungamam. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Rohit, Khilnani (15 August 2014). "Singham returns". India today. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Shweta, Kaushal (15 August 2014). "Singham returns". Hindustan times. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Mohar, Basu (15 August 2014). "Singham returns". koimoi. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "shubra" (15 August 2014). "Singham returns". Indian express. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Rajeev, Masand (15 August 2014). "Singham returns". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Singham Returns (2014) | Box Office Earnings. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved on 12 August 2015.