Golmaal is an Indian comedy film series directed by Rohit Shetty, with four installments to date, the first three produced by Dhilin Mehta and the fourth by Shetty and Sangeeta Ahir. The first film Golmaal: Fun Unlimited released in 2006 and was followed by 3 direct sequels:Golmaal Returns (2008), Golmaal 3 (2010) and Golmaal Again (2017). All four films starred Ajay Devgn, Arshad Warsi, Tusshar Kapoor, Sanjay Mishra, Vrajesh Hirjee and Mukesh Tiwari, with Shreyas Talpade, Ashwini Kalsekar and Murali Sharma appearing in three and Kareena Kapoor and Kunal Khemu appearing in two.
|Golmaal Film Series|
|Created by||Rohit Shetty|
|Original work||Golmaal (2006)|
|Films and television|
|Film(s)||List of films|
Golmaal is now the ninth-highest-grossing film series in Bollywood. The film series has been described as a screwball comedy franchise. This is the fifth Indian film franchise to have four installments after CID 999 Franchise, CBI, Major Mahadevan Franchise and Raaz Series.
An animated version of the film series named Golmaal Jr. was released for with three central characters: Madhav, Gopal and Lucky.
Golmaal: Fun Unlimited (2006)Edit
Friends Gopal, Lucky, Madhav and Laxman often dupe gullible people out of their money. Hilarity ensues when they target an elderly couple and simultaneously try wooing their beautiful neighbour.
Golmaal Returns (2008)Edit
Gopal, who lives with his wife, Ekta, gets stuck in a yacht for a night after he saves an attractive young woman. Ekta suspects him of having an affair and decides to uncover the truth.
Golmaal 3 (2010)Edit
Cupid strikes when Pritam, a single father, comes across his college sweetheart, Geeta, in Goa. However, when their respective children go at war with each other, the two find it difficult to reunite.
Golmaal Again!!! (2017)Edit
Five orphan men return to the orphanage they grew up in to attend their mentor's funeral. However, they encounter the ghost of their childhood friend, Khushi, and help her attain salvation.
|Golmaal: Fun Unlimited||14 July 2006||Rohit Shetty||Neeraj Vora||Ghar Ghar by Harsh Shivsharan||Dhilin Mehta, Parag Sanghvi|
|Golmaal Returns||29 October 2008||Yunus Sajawal||Pheka Pheki by Bipin Varti||Dhilin Mehta|
|Golmaal 3||5 November 2010||Yours, Mine and Ours by Melville Shavelson|
|Golmaal Again!!!||20 October 2017||Rohit Shetty||Sangeeta Sachin Ahir, Rohit Shetty, Shivashish Sarkar|
|Phir Golmaal||December 2023||Neeraj Vora||Rohit Shetty|
Phir Golmaal (2023)Edit
After the release of the fourth installment, director Shetty is interested in the fifth part of the franchise. He said, after getting a right script there will definitely be another installment. Actor Ajay Devgn also shows interest to return to next part. It is also reported that Kareena Kapoor might return for the next installment. After the release of the "Aankh Marey" music video from Ranveer Singh and Sara Ali Khan's Simmba, speculations of a fifth installment of the Golmaal franchise further strengthened. In the video, the four main actors, including Arshad Warsi and Tusshar Kapoor, are seen at the end of the holding up their hands to denote the number "5." Finally, on November 7, 2021, Rohit announced that the fifth film of Golmaal series will be called Phir Golmaal. He also announced on that same day that it will be about Gopal, Madhav, Laxman, Lucky, and their new friend, who is named Vicky solving a case of them being accused of a murder as they keep on getting into trouble while solving it.
Cast and CharactersEdit
This table lists the main characters who appear in the Golmaal Franchise.
- A dark grey cell indicates the character was not in the film.
|Ajay Devgn||Gopal Kumar Santoshi|
|Tusshar Kapoor||Lucky Gill||Lucky Singh Ghai||Lucky Gill|
|Arshad Warsi||Madhav Singh Ghai|
|Sharman Joshi||Laxman Prasad||Laxman Prasad|
|Shreyas Talpade||Laxman Prasad Apte||Laxman Prasad Santoshi|
|Kunal Khemu||Laxman Singh Ghai||Laxman Sharma|
|Sanjay Mishra||Babli||Subodh Mehra||Dagga||Babli|
|Vrajesh Hirjee||Pandurang||Anthony Gonsalves||Teja||Pandu (Nagbaba)||Pandu Baba|
|Murali Sharma||M.D. Sawant||Inspector Dhande|
|Johnny Lever||Puppy Boss|
|Siddarth Jadhav||Sattu Supari||Sattu Supari|
|Manoj Joshi||Harishchandra 'HaRaMi' Ramchandra Mirchandani|
|Kareena Kapoor||Ekta Gill Santoshi||Divya "Dabbo" Kalamkar|
|Amrita Arora||Esha Santoshi|
|Celina Jaitley||Meera Mena|
|Anjana Sukhani||Daisy Paschisia|
|Vijay Patkar||Constable Gandhari|
|Mithun Chakraborty||Pritam "Pappu" Singh Ghai||Pappu Pandey|
|Ratna Pathak Shah||Geeta "Guddi" Patnaik|
|Parineeti Chopra||Khushi Bansal|
|Neil Nitin Mukesh||Nikhil|
|Tabu||Anna Mathew||Deepa Santoshi|
|Prakash Raj||Vasu Reddy|
|Sachin Khedekar||Colonel Chouhan|
|Uday Tikekar||Jamnadas Bansal|
Additional crew and production detailsEdit
|Golmaal Again |
|Producer(s)||Dhillin Mehta||Rohit Shetty |
|Screenplay||Neeraj Vora||Yunus Sajawal|
Lijo George-DJ Chetas
|Background Score||Sanjoy Chowdhury||Amar Mohile|
|Director of photography||Aseem Bajaj||Natarajan Subramaniam||Dudley||Jomon T. John|
|Editor(s)||Steven H. Bernard||Bunty Nagi|
|Production Companies||Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd
K Sera Sera Private Limited
|Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd||Rohit Shetty Pictures, Mangal Murti Films, Reliance Entertainment|
|Distributing Companies||Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd
|Shemaroo Entertainment||Eros International||Reliance Entertainment|
|Running Time||150 minutes||135 minutes||140 minutes||152 minutes|
Release and revenueEdit
|Golmaal: Fun Unlimited
|Golmaal Again |
|Total gross||₹467,260,000 (US$10.31 million)||₹800,080,000 (US$18.39 million)||₹1,695,635,000 (US$37.08 million)||₹3,110,450,000 (US$47.76 million)|
|Franchise gross||₹6,07,34,25,000 ($113,540,000)|
- Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network (23 November 2010). "Golmaal 3 Adds 4.50 Crore in Third Weekend". BoxOffice India.com. Archived from the original on 24 November 2010. Retrieved 24 November 2010.
- "Rohit Shetty's Singham 2, Golmaal 4 To Go on Floors This Year". Koimoi. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "No idea about female lead in Golmaal 4: Ajay Devgn". 7 August 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Golmaal Again Movie Review Meena Iyer". The Times of India.
- "blends perfectly with the screwball flavour of Golmaal".
- "Feluda To Sethurama Iyer: India's Best Detectives In Film & Fiction". 7 April 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Ajay Devgn – Rohit Shetty's Golmaal to be ANIMATED for kids' channel (details inside)". Bollywood Hungama. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Rohit Shetty to come up with Golmaal part 5". 28 September 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- ""We'll definitely make Golmaal 5" – Rohit Shetty". 23 October 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Rohit Shetty Announces Golmaal 5 Already!". 28 September 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Here's What Ajay Devgn Said When a Fan Asked Him About Golmaal 5". Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- 'गोलमाल 5' में करीना वापस आ जाएंगी: अजय देवगन-Navbharat Times. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Golmaal - Fun Unlimited - Movie - Box Office India".
- "Golmaal Returns - Movie - Box Office India".
- "Golmaal 3 - Movie - Box Office India".
- "Golmaal Again - Movie - Box Office India".
- "I feel privileged when kids like my films and shows: Rohit Shetty". Mumbai Live.
- "Viacom18 aims to scale Sonic's position with new show Golmaal Jr". www.bestmediaifo.com. 13 May 2019.