The Tribune (Chandigarh)
The Tribune is an Indian English-language daily newspaper published from Amritsar, Bathinda, Chandigarh, New Delhi, Jalandhar and Ludhiana. It was founded on 2 February 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan), by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising five persons as trustees. It is a major Indian newspaper with a worldwide circulation. In India, it is among the leading English daily for Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, and the Union Territory of Chandigarh.
Front page of a historic 1931 edition
|Editor-in-chief||post is vacant|
|Founded||2 February 1881|
|Headquarters||Chandigarh, India (previously Ambala)|
The Tribune has two sister publications: Dainik Tribune (in Hindi) and Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi). R. K. Singh is the Editor of Dainik Tribune and Sahitya Akademi Award winner and prominent Punjabi playwright Swaraj Bir Singh is the Editor of the Punjabi Tribune. The Internet Edition of The Tribune was launched in July 1998, and the Internet editions of the Punjabi Tribune and Dainik Tribune were launched on 16 August 2010.
All three newspapers are published by the Tribune Trust. Mr Narinder Nath Vohra is the President of the Tribune Trust, which comprises Justice S. S. Sodhi, Lt. Gen S. S. Mehta (retd.), Mr Naresh Mohan, and Mr. Gurbachan Jagat as trustees.
The Tribune has had Kali Nath Roy, Prem Bhatia, Hari Jai Singh, H.K. Dua, and Raj Chengappa among others, as its editors-in-chief in the past.
Similar to most Indian Newspapers, The Tribune receives the majority of its revenue from advertisements over subscriptions.
- "Chandigarh Tribune - daily newspaper in Chandigarh, India with local news and events". Mondo Times. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- Chhina, Rajinder Mohan S. (2 February 2016). "The Tribune Founder's Day: Visionary who helped shape modern Punjab". The Tribune. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "India national news media". Mondo Times. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "India Tribune available". Amazon.com. Archived from the original on 15 December 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- Katoch, Avnish (15 March 2007). "Himachal Tribune launched". Himachal.us. Archived from the original on 9 February 2008. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- Bains, Satinder (18 November 2007). "Tribune Trust Chairman Justice R.S. Pathak passes away". Punjab Newsline. Archived from the original on 19 November 2007. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "The Tribune Trust places another order with QI Press Controls". Indian Printer and Publisher. 8 February 2010. Archived from the original on 27 December 2010. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- "Harish Khare is new Editor-in-Chief". The Tribune. 1 May 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- Guruswamy, Mohan (18 March 2018). "Harish Khare Forced Out Again: Exit Casts Shadow Over The Tribune's Independence". The Citizen. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- Dua, Rohan (13 August 1978). "Varinder Walia made Editor of Punjabi Tribune". Exchange4media.com. Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Newspapers in India: Will subscription revenue overtake ad revenue?". Campaign India. Retrieved 2018-11-19.