Shepherd's Bush railway station
Shepherd's Bush station is a railway station located in the district of Shepherd's Bush in Greater London, England, UK. It opened in 2008 on the West London Line and Route and is served by London Overground and Southern rail services. It lies within Travelcard Zone 2.
|Local authority||London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|OSI||Shepherd's Bush LU|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Original company||Network Rail|
|29 September 2008||Opened|
|London transport portal|
A number of stations in the area both past and present have borne the name Shepherd's Bush; today the National Rail station shares its name with the adjacent Central line Shepherd's Bush, with which it shares a surface-level interchange.
An entirely separate London Underground station, Shepherd's Bush Market on the Circle line and Hammersmith & City line located approximately 500 meters (0.3 miles) away was called Shepherd's Bush. This station was renamed on 12 October 2008 to Shepherd's Bush Market to avoid confusion.
Previously a station existed almost on the same site as the present Shepherd's Bush station. Uxbridge Road station was opened in 1869 by London & North Western Railway and the Great Western Railway on the Middle Circle route. In 1905 the line became branch of the Metropolitan Railway, and later London Underground's Metropolitan line. Uxbridge Road was closed in 1940 after the line was bombed several times during the Blitz.
In 2005, construction began on a major redevelopment project in the White City area, including the large-scale Westfield Shopping Centre, developed by the Westfield Group. Shepherd's Bush station was designed and funded by the Westfield Group as part of a Section 106 redevelopment contribution, and construction was project-managed by Capita Symonds; this project also included the provision of an integrated bus interchange and the reconstruction of the London Underground Central line station.
Building work on the West London Line station began in early 2006 and it was due to open in summer 2007. Although largely completed on time, the station was unable to open due to the northbound platform being 460 millimetres (18 in) too narrow to comply with railway safety regulations, based on the anticipated number of passengers using the station. Following remedial reconstruction work on the platform, the station opened on 29 September 2008.
With a 2007 opening date in mind, the station was to have been served by Silverlink trains, and it was fitted out with Silverlink-branded signage. By the time the station actually opened to passenger service, the rail franchise had passed to London Overground, and the station signage was rebranded.
In April 2015 the station platforms were extended to accommodate longer, 8-car Southern trains, and a footbridge and a new entrance were constructed at the northern end of the station to ease passenger flows. The £1.35m station upgrade work was supported with £3.9 million from the Westfield Shopping Centre and the platform lengthening was part of a nine-month, £25 million project funded by Network Rail to extend platforms along the West London Line.
London Overground services at this station in trains per hour are:
Southern services at this station in trains per hour are:
- 1tph northbound to Milton Keynes Central via Watford Junction
- 1tph southbound to East Croydon via Clapham Junction. 
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|West London Line||
towards Clapham Junction
West London Route
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
Transfer at: Shepherd's Bush
- Standard Tube Map (PDF) (Map). Not to scale. Transport for London. May 2019. Archived (PDF) from the original on 1 June 2019.
- National Rail Enquiries: Station facilities for Shepherd's Bush (SPB) Accessed 23 July 2010]
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- "Shepherd's Bush Overground Station Welcomes Passengers". Transport for London. 29 September 2008. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "Wood Lane and Shepherd's Bush Market to join Tube map" (Press release). Transport for London. 6 November 2006. Retrieved 28 October 2007.
- "Westfield London". Structural Systems. Archived from the original on 22 June 2008. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "White City Development" (pdf) (Press release). Transport for London. 1 August 2007. Retrieved 28 October 2007.
- Barney, Katharine. "New railway station over budget...and undersized". Evening Standard. Archived from the original on 21 December 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2007.
- "New railway station set to open" (Press release). BBC. 16 September 2008. Retrieved 16 September 2008.
- Silverlink. "Current Timetables: Sunday 20 May to 8 December 2007". Retrieved 28 October 2007.
- "New London Overground entrance at Shepherd's Bush". Transport for London. 27 April 2015. Archived from the original on 3 October 2015. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- "Westfield extension plans approved". London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham. 17 February 2012. Archived from the original on 9 May 2015. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- Table 59 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Table 66 & 176 National Rail timetable, May 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shepherd's Bush railway station.|
- Map of London Overground
- Some details on the transport aspects of the new development, including this station