Barking Riverside railway station
Barking Riverside is a planned railway station in Barking in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, east London, that will serve the Barking Riverside regeneration area including housing, leisure and shopping facilities. It is planned as part of an extension of the Gospel Oak to Barking Line on the London Overground network.
|Local authority||London Borough of Barking and Dagenham|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London transport portal|
The extension will run partly over the existing London, Tilbury and Southend Railway line from Barking, operated by c2c, and over 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) of new track to be laid to the new station. It is expected that Barking Riverside station will open in 2021.
There have also been calls to extend the line further south across the river to Thamesmead and Abbey Wood. In August 2017, the Government granted permission for the extension and a provision for a stop at Renwick Road (if needed) and states that a further extension across the Thames should be provisioned.
Renwick Road station proposalsEdit
As part of the preferred route known as 'Alignment B' it has provision a stop at Renwick Road on the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway if it is needed in the future. This would allow an interchange between the London Overground and c2c services..
Planning and constructionEdit
The Transport and Works Act Order for the station was submitted in March 2016. As part of this process, a Public Inquiry was held from 18 to 21 October 2016 by Peter Robottom. In December 2016 Balfour Beatty, Carillion and a VolkerFitzpatrick/Morgan Sindall joint venture were shortlisted to bid for the contract. The Order was approved on 4 August 2017 with preliminary works expected to start by the end of 2017 and completion expected in 2021.
- "Have your say on route options for the proposed Barking Riverside Extension to the London Overground - Transport for London - Citizen Space". Consultations.tfl.gov.uk. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 October 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Anglia Route Study" (PDF). Networkrail.co.uk. March 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- Shortlist of bidders to build Barking Riverside Extension Transport for London 14 December 2016
- "Thamesmead & Abbey Wood Extension". Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Barking Riverside extension - Transport for London". Tfl.gov.uk. 31 March 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- Peter Robottom (4 August 2017), Report to the Secretary of State for Transport (PDF)
- Shortlist revealed for £263m TfL rail extension New Civil Engineer 14 December 2016
- Secretary of State for Transport (4 August 2017), London Overground Barking riverside extension order: decision
- "Go-ahead for London Overground Barking Riverside extension".
- Official project page: "Barking Riverside extension". Transport for London. Archived from the original on 11 August 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- Map of the extension (TfL)
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
towards Gospel Oak
|Gospel Oak to Barking Line||Terminus|