Clapham North tube station
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Clapham North is an Underground station in Clapham, London. It is on the Northern line between Clapham Common and Stockwell. The station is located in Travelcard Zone 2, at the northern end of Clapham High Street, and a short walk away from Clapham High Street railway station. Although there is no direct interchange between the two, it is counted as an Out of Station Interchange using Oyster, so journeys involving a change between the two are charged as through journeys and not two separate journeys.
The station entrance
|Local authority||London Borough of Lambeth|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|OSI||Clapham High Street |
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Original company||City and South London Railway|
|3 June 1900||Opened as Clapham Road|
|29 November 1923||closed for rebuilding|
|1 December 1924||reopened|
|13 September 1926||Renamed Clapham North|
|London transport portal|
The station opened as Clapham Road on 3 June 1900 as part of an extension of the City and South London Railway to Clapham Common, one stop to the south. The station, designed by T. P. Figgis, is one of two remaining stations that has an island platform in the station tunnel, serving both the northbound and southbound lines; the other being Clapham Common. The original station building was replaced in 1924, when the line was modernised and the original building was remodelled by Charles Holden. The ticket hall was rebuilt after the installation of escalators and Figgis's station facade was replaced with biscuit-cream faience slabs and black coping tiles to the parapet walls. In turn, the station's corner entrance block was reclad in post-modern style tiles in c1996, the lower side wings retain their 1920s elevations. The station's name was changed to Clapham North on 13 September 1926 after the line was extended to Morden that year.
Clapham North is one of eight London Underground stations which has a deep-level air-raid shelter beneath it.
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (XLS). Transport for London. 19 February 2019.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures (2007-2017)" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Station Usage Data" (CSV). Usage Statistics for London Stations, 2018. Transport for London. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
- Chronology of London Railways by H.V.Borley page 51
- "Out of Station Interchange (OSI)". Oyster and National Rail (independent guide). 26 May 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- Rose, Douglas (December 2007) . The London Underground: A Diagrammatic History (8th ed.). Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. ISBN 978-1-85414-315-0.
- "Clapham High Street – History". claphamhighstreet.co.uk. Archived from the original on 15 August 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clapham North tube station.|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|