Shadwell railway station
Shadwell is a London Overground station in Shadwell in East London, it was formerly a London Underground station on the East London line until 2007. The station is between Whitechapel to the north and Wapping to the south. It is located near to Shadwell DLR station. The station is in Travelcard Zone 2.
|Local authority||London Borough of Tower Hamlets|
|Managed by||Arriva Rail London|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|27 April 2010||Reopened|
|London transport portal|
The Overground station is underground (the DLR station is on a viaduct).
The Overground platforms are decorated with enamel panels designed by Sarah McMenemy in 1995.
The original station was one of the oldest on the network, and was built over a spring. First opened by the East London Railway on 10 April 1876, it was first served by the District Railway and Metropolitan Railway on 1 October 1884. It was renamed Shadwell & St. George-in-the-East on 1 July 1900, but reverted to its original name in 1918. A new ticket hall was built on Cable Street in 1983, replacing the original building in Watney Street, which was demolished in May 2010. Access to the station platforms was through lifts or stairs. The station was closed between 1995 and 1998, owing to repair work on the East London line's Thames Tunnel. The typical off-peak East London line service from the station was:
The station closed on 22 December 2007; it reopened on 27 April 2010 for a preview service to New Cross and New Cross Gate, and from 23 May 2010, the latter service was extended to West Croydon / Crystal Palace, operated within the London Overground network. A new gated northern access fronting Cornwall Street has been added, easing interchange with Shadwell DLR station, while the rest of the station has been heavily refurbished.
All times below are correct as of the December 2012 timetables.
East London LineEdit
There is a service every 3–5 minutes throughout the day. Current hourly off-peak frequency is:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shadwell railway station.|
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (XLS). Transport for London. 19 February 2019.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- BBC London:The new East London Line opens to the public Accessed 27 April 2010
- "Illustrator". Sarah McMenemy. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "East London Line reopening dubbed 'political stunt'". BBC News. 14 April 2010. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- "London Reconnections: ELL In Pictures: Shadwell, Shoreditch, Hoxton, Haggerston and Dalston Junction". Londonreconnections.blogspot.com. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
-  Archived 8 April 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Shadwell (Zone 2)". TfL. Retrieved 17 May 2020.
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|East London Line|
|Out of system interchange|
|Preceding station||DLR||Following station|
|Docklands Light Railway|
Transfer at: Shadwell
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards New Cross Gate
|East London line|