Dune (2020 film)
Dune is an upcoming epic science fiction film directed by Denis Villeneuve and written by Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts and Villeneuve. It is based on the 1965 Frank Herbert novel of the same name. The film stars an ensemble cast consisting of Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Stephen Henderson, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem. Dune is expected to be split into two films, with the first covering approximately the first half of the novel and scheduled to be released in the United States in IMAX and 3D on November 20, 2020.
|Directed by||Denis Villeneuve|
by Frank Herbert
|Music by||Hans Zimmer|
|Edited by||Joe Walker|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
In the far future of humanity, Duke Leto Atreides accepts stewardship of the dangerous desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the most valuable substance in the universe, "the spice", a drug which extends human life and provides accelerated levels of thought. Though Leto knows the opportunity is an intricate trap set by his enemies, the Harkonnens, he takes his Bene Gesserit concubine Lady Jessica, young son and heir Paul, and most trusted advisers to Arrakis, also known as Dune. Leto takes control of the spice mining operation, which is made perilous by the presence of giant sandworms. A bitter betrayal leads Paul and Jessica to the Fremen, natives of Arrakis who live in the deep desert.
- Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides, the scion of House Atreides.
- Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, Paul's Bene Gesserit mother and concubine to Duke Leto.
- Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides, a nobleman newly bestowed with the stewardship of the dangerous planet Arrakis, source of the spice.
- Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck, weapons master of House Atreides and Paul's mentor.
- Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, sworn enemy to Leto.
- Dave Bautista as Glossu Rabban, the brutish nephew of Baron Harkonnen.
- Zendaya as Chani, Fremen daughter of Imperial Planetologist Liet-Kynes and Paul’s love interest.
- David Dastmalchian as Piter De Vries, a twisted Mentat loyal to the Baron.
- Stephen Henderson
- Charlotte Rampling as Gaius Helen Mohiam, a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother and the Emperor's Truthsayer.
- Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, swordmaster of House Atreides.
- Javier Bardem as Stilgar, leader of the Fremen tribe at Sietch Tabr.
- Chang Chen as Dr. Wellington Yueh, a Suk doctor in the employ of the Atreides family.
In 2008, Paramount Pictures announced that they had a new feature film adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune in development with Peter Berg set to direct. Berg left the project in October 2009, with director Pierre Morel brought on to direct in January 2010 before Paramount dropped the project in March 2011.
On November 21, 2016, it was announced that Legendary Pictures had acquired the film and TV rights for Dune. In December 2016, Variety reported that director Denis Villeneuve was in talks with the studio to direct the film. In September 2015, Villeneuve expressed his interest in the project, saying that "a longstanding dream of mine is to adapt Dune, but it's a long process to get the rights, and I don't think I will succeed." On February 1, 2017, Villeneuve was confirmed to be directing the project by Brian Herbert, son of Frank. In March 2018, Villeneuve stated that his goal was to adapt the novel into a two-part film series. Eric Roth was hired to co-write the screenplay in April, and Jon Spaihts was later confirmed to be co-writing the script alongside Roth and Villeneuve. Villeneuve said in May 2018 that the first draft of the script had been finished. Villeneuve said, "Most of the main ideas of Star Wars are coming from Dune so it's going to be a challenge to [tackle] this. The ambition is to do the Star Wars movie I never saw. In a way, it's Star Wars for adults." In July 2018, Brian Herbert confirmed that the latest draft of the screenplay covered "approximately half of the novel Dune." Legendary CEO Joshua Grode confirmed in April 2019 that they plan to make a sequel, adding that "there's a logical place to stop the [first] movie before the book is over."
John Nelson was hired as the visual effects supervisor for the film in July 2018. It was announced in December 2018 that cinematographer Roger Deakins, who was anticipated to reunite with Villeneuve on the film, was not working on Dune and that Greig Fraser was coming onto the project as director of photography. In January 2019, Joe Walker was confirmed to be serving as the film's editor. Other crew include: Brad Riker as supervising art director; Patrice Vermette as production designer; Richard R. Hoover and Paul Lambert as visual effects supervisors; Gerd Hefzer as special effects supervisor; and Thomas Struthers as stunt coordinator. Dune will be produced by Villeneuve, Mary Parent, and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, Thomas Tull, and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers. Game of Thrones language creator David Peterson was confirmed to be developing languages for the film in April 2019.
In July 2018, it was reported that Timothée Chalamet had entered the final negotiations to play the lead in the film, Paul Atreides. In September 2018, Rebecca Ferguson entered negotiations to join the film to play Atreides' mother, Lady Jessica. She confirmed her casting in January 2019.
In January 2019, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Oscar Isaac, and Zendaya joined the cast. In February 2019, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, and David Dastmalchian were cast. Stephen Henderson joined in March, with Chang Chen entering negotiations.
- "Cameras Roll on Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Entertainment's Epic Adaptation of Dune". Business Wire. March 18, 2019. Retrieved March 18, 2019.
- Siegel, Tatiana (March 18, 2008). "Berg to direct Dune for Paramount". Variety. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Roush, George (December 1, 2009). "Special Preview: El Guapo Spends A Day On A Navy Destroyer For Peter Berg's Battleship!". Retrieved December 22, 2016 – via LatinoReview.com.
- Sperling, Nicole (January 4, 2010). "Dune remake back on track with director Pierre Morel". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Reynolds, Simon (March 23, 2011). "Dune remake dropped by Paramount". Digital Spy. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (March 22, 2011). "Paramount ends 4 year attempt to turn Frank Herbert's Dune into film franchise". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Busch, Anita (November 21, 2016). "Legendary Acquires Frank Herbert's Classic Sci-Fi Novel Dune For Film And TV". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (November 21, 2016). "Legendary Lands Rights to Classic Sci-Fi Novel Dune". Variety. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (December 21, 2016). "Blade Runner 2049 Helmer Denis Villeneuve Eyed to Direct Dune Reboot". Variety. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Vivarelli, Nick (September 10, 2016). "Denis Villeneuve on Making Arrival, Blade Runner Sequel His Way Within Studio System". Variety. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Vilkomerson, Sara (February 1, 2017). "Denis Villeneuve officially set to direct Dune reboot". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Bui, Hoai-Tran (March 9, 2018). "At Least Two Dune Films Are Being Planned by Denis Villeneuve". /Film. Retrieved May 21, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (April 5, 2017). "Forrest Gump Writer Eric Roth to Pen Denis Villeneuve's Dune Reboot". Variety. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (September 5, 2018). "Rebecca Ferguson in Talks to Star in Denis Villeneuve's Dune". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- Bui, Hoai-Tran (May 3, 2018). "The First Draft of Denis Villeneuve's Dune is Done, Pre-Production Begins 'Soon'". /Film. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Lussier, Marc-Andre (May 9, 2018). "Denis Villeneuve: 'I'm relaxed, but I take my role seriously!'". La Presse (in French). Retrieved July 16, 2018.
The director of Blade Runner 2049 has also revealed that a first version of the screenplay of Dune ... is now ready.
- Taylor-Foster, Kim (January 16, 2018). "Dune Adaptation Will Be 'Star Wars for Adults' Says Director". Fandom. Wikia, Inc. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Elderkin, Beth (July 25, 2018). "Denis Villeneuve's Dune Will Only Dive Into Half of the First Book". io9. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- Siegel, Tatiana (April 25, 2019). "Legendary CEO Joshua Grode on Pitting Pikachu Against Marvel, Warner Bros. Upheaval". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 26, 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (July 16, 2018). "Oscar-Winning Blade Runner 2049 VFX Supervisor John Nelson Joins Villeneuve's Dune". Geeks WorldWide. Retrieved July 18, 2018 – via thegww.com.
- Barfield, Charles (December 5, 2018). "Academy Award-Winning DP Roger Deakins Will Not Team With Denis Villeneuve On Dune". The Playlist. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Desowitz, Bill (January 9, 2019). "Denis Villeneuve's Dune Gets Editor Joe Walker". IndieWire. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Campbell, Maude (February 15, 2019). "Everything We Know So Far About Denis Villeneuve's Dune". Popular Mechanics. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 16, 2019). "Warner Bros. Dates Dune For November 2020 & More". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 16, 2019.
- Elderkin, Beth (April 9, 2019). "Game of Thrones Language Builder David Peterson Is Working on Denis Villeneuve's Dune". io9. Retrieved April 14, 2019.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (July 17, 2018). "Timothée Chalamet In Talks To Star In Dune For Denis Villeneuve And Legendary". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- Davids, Brian (January 25, 2019). "Rebecca Ferguson on Prepping for Dune and Her Mission: Impossible Future". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Kroll, Justin (January 7, 2019). "Dave Bautista Joins Legendary's Dune Reboot". Variety. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (January 9, 2019). "Stellan Skarsgard to Play Villain in Dune Movie". Variety. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (January 15, 2019). "Charlotte Rampling Joins Timothee Chalamet in Dune". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Kit, Borys; Couch, Aaron (January 29, 2019). "Oscar Isaac Joining Denis Villeneuve's Dune". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Galuppo, Mia (January 30, 2019). "Zendaya Circling Denis Villeneuve's Dune". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Kroll, Justin (February 1, 2019). "Javier Bardem Joins Timothee Chalamet in Dune Reboot". Variety. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- Kroll, Justin (February 13, 2019). "Josh Brolin Joins Timothee Chalamet in Star-Studded Dune Reboot". Variety. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 14, 2019). "Aquaman's Jason Momoa Joins Killer Cast of Denis Villenueve's Dune". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 14, 2019.}
- N'Duka, Amanda (February 19, 2019). "Legendary's Dune Film Adds Ant-Man and the Wasp Actor David Dastmalchian". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- Couch, Aaron (March 17, 2019). "Chang Chen Joining Denis Villeneuve's Dune". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (July 12, 2018). "Denis Villeneuve Eyeing A Return To Budapest For Dune's Production Start In February". Geeks WorldWide. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (February 1, 2019). "Javier Bardem in Talks to Join Timothee Chalamet in All-Star Dune". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 15, 2019.