Elle is a worldwide lifestyle magazine of French origin that focuses on fashion, beauty, health, and entertainment. Elle is also the world's best-selling fashion magazine. It was founded by Pierre Lazareff and his wife Hélène Gordon in 1945. The title, in French, means "she" or "her".
Demi Lovato on the cover of Elle Canada
Anne-Marie Curtis (UK)
Gloria Lam (HK)
Justine Cullen (Australia)
Graciela Maya (Argentina)
Aishwarya Subramanyam (India)
Taru Marjamaa (Finland)
Xiao Xue (China)
Işın Görmüş (Turkey)
Sandra Gato (Portugal)
Noreen Flanagan (Canada)
Mélanie Frappa (Quebec)
Sharon Lim (Singapore)
Panu Sombatyanuchit (Thailand)
Cecilie Christiansen (Denmark)
Sonya Zabouga (Ukraine)
Barbara Sekirnik (Slovenia)
Adelina K. Nina (Indonesia)
Karina Iskakova (Kazakhstan)
Sonja Kovacs (Serbia)
Emilie Gambade (South Africa)
Thuy Linh Nguyen (Vietnam)
Roxana Voloseniuc (Romania)
Vladimira Mirkovic Blazevic (Croatia)
Benedetta Poletti (Spain)
Andrea Behounkova (Czech Republic)
Danda Santini (Italy)
Monika Stukonis (Poland)
Maria Georgieva (Bulgaria)
Susana Barbosa (Brazil)
Julia Juyeon Kang (Korea)
Kate Guest (Malaysia)
Sabine Nedelchev (Germany)
Kanako Sakai (Japan)
Flora Tzimaka (Greece)
Signy Fardal (Norway)
Florence Lu (Taiwan)
Maria Aziz (Middle East)
Mari Paz S. De Ocejo (Mexico)
Cia Jansson (Sweden)
Nica Broucke (Flanders, Belgium)
Béa Ercolini (Wallonia, Belgium)
Hilmar Mulder (Holland)
|Frequency||Weekly (France only)
Twice Monthly (China only)
|Publisher||Kevin O'Malley (also SenioChief Revenue Officer)|
|First issue||November 21, 1945
|Company||Hachette Filipacchi Media|
|Language||Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish,Brazilian Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovene, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese|
Elle was founded in France in 1945. In the 1960s, it was considered to "not so much reflect fashion as decree it", with 800,000 loyal readers and a then famous slogan: "Si elle lit, elle lit Elle (If she reads, she reads Elle)". In 1981, Daniel Filipacchi and Jean-Luc Lagardère purchased Hachette magazines, which included the then-struggling Elle. Elle was then launched in the U.S. (News Corporation owned a stake in the US edition until 1988, followed by 25 other foreign editions). The Chinese version of the magazine was published in 1988, and is the only edition which is published twice monthly.
In 2007 the website of Elle was launched.
Elle printed special collectors’ covers for their September 2016 issue, and one of them featured Hari Nef, which was the first time an openly transgender woman had been on the cover of a major commercial British magazine.
Elle is the world's largest fashion magazine, with 43 international editions in over 60 countries. Technologically speaking, the Elle brand is a global network encompassing over 33 websites. Subscriptions account for 73 percent of readers. There are 33 Elle websites globally, which collectively attract over 25 million unique visitors and 370 million page views per month. The magazine reaches over 69 million readers. The vast majority (82 percent) of Elle's audience are women between the ages of 18 and 49. Its readers have a median age of 34.7 years. Forty percent of the readers are single, and the median household income is $69,973. "Our readers are young enough to think about life as an adventure and old enough to have the means to live it", said Roberta Myers, editor in chief.
The first international edition of Elle was launched in Japan in 1969. Then, its U.S. and UK editions were launched in 1985. Next year, the magazine was first published in Spain. In 1987, Elle began to be published in Hong Kong and Italy. In 1988, the magazine was launched in six countries, namely Germany, Brazil, China, Sweden, Greece and Portugal. Next year it was first published in the Netherlands and Quebec. In 1990, the magazine was started in Australia and Taiwan. Its Russian edition, published monthly, was launched in 1996.
Elle is owned by the Lagardère Group of France. It is published in the U.S. and the UK by Hearst Magazines, in Canada by TVA Group, in Brazil by Grupo Editora Abril, in Mexico by Grupo Expansión, in Argentina by Grupo Clarín, in Singapore by Mediacorp, in Serbia/Croatia by Adria Media, in Turkey by Doğan Burda Magazine, in Germany by Hubert Burda Media, and in Romania by Ringier. In China, the publisher is Shanghai Translation Publishing House. and in India its owned and published by Ogaan Publications Pvt. Ltd As an international magazine, Elle has its headquarters in Paris as well as licensed publishers in New York City, London, Toronto, Mexico City, South Africa, Istanbul, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brussels, Tokyo, Warsaw, Belgrade, Oslo, Helsinki, Bucharest, Athens, Delhi, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Jakarta, Kiev, Kuala Lumpur, and other cities.
In December 2013, Elle hired Randy Minor as design director.
- Alexandra Steigrad (19 December 2013). "Elle Magazine Names Design Director". WWD. Archived from the original on 21 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Elle International Network". Elle. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "Top 10 Fashion Mazgines in the World". Blog. Rich Top 10 Lists. Archived from the original on 20 April 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- « Pierre et Hélène Lazareff, couple hors normes ! » Sophie Delassein, Jean-Pierre Thiollet, France-Soir, 12 May 2009, http://www.francesoir.fr/loisirs/litterature/“pierre-et-helene-lazareff-couple-hors-normes-”-sophie-delassein-38180.html.
- "Magazines: Si Elle Lit, Elle Lit Elle". Time. 22 May 1964. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2010.
- Yang Feng; Katherine Frith (Fall 2008). "The Growth of International Women’s Magazines in China and the Role of Transnational Advertising" (PDF). AEJMC Magazine. Archived (PDF) from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Fipp's top magazine innovations for 2011". Campaign. 22 March 2011. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Denis Boyles on EuroPress". National Review Online. 10 October 2013. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013.
- Sarah Hughes. "Meet Hari Nef: actor, model – and Elle’s first transgender cover girl in UK | Society". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-08-05.
- "Elle overview". Hachette Filipacchi. Archived from the original on 28 October 2007. Retrieved 11 November 2007.
- Media News - TV Ratings - Television Programming Media Week.
- "Elle reader demographics". Hachette Filipacchi. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 11 November 2007.
- Branding - Corporate Branding - Internet Brand Marketing Brand Week.
- Mariko Morimoto; Susan Chang (2009). "Western and Asian Models in Japanese Fashion Magazine Ads". Journal of International Consumer Marketing. 21 (3). doi:10.1080/08961530802202701. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- Helena Hafstrand (1995). "Consumer Magazines in Transition". The Journal of Media Economics. 8 (1). Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Ping Shaw (1999). "Internationalization of the women's magazine industry in Taiwan context, process and influence". Asian Journal of Communication. 9 (2). Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Di Hand; Steve Middleditch (10 July 2014). Design for Media: A Handbook for Students and Professionals in Journalism, PR, and Advertising. Routledge. p. 8. ISBN 978-1-317-86402-8. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Jukka Pietiläinen (2008). "Media Use in Putin's Russia". Journal of Communist Studies and Transition Politics. 24 (3). doi:10.1080/13523270802267906. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- Doğan Burda Magazine