Jon Spaihts is an American screenwriter and author.
|Other names||Jonathan Spaihts|
Early life and educationEdit
His science fiction romance Passengers was included on the 2007 Black List of unproduced high-value screenplays. Keanu Reeves and Stephen Hamel had hired Spaihts to write the film after originally becoming attached to Spaihts' abandoned science fiction script Shadow 19. After Reeves agreed to produce with Hamel and star in Passengers, Spaihts was commissioned by Scott Free to write the next installments in the Alien saga, two prequel films to be directed by Ridley Scott, which eventually turned into the more autonomous story Prometheus, ultimately revised by Damon Lindelof. For New Regency Spaihts also wrote the screenplay to the alien invasion thriller The Darkest Hour, based on a story by Leslie Bohem and M.T. Ahern.
Spaihts has worked on a film version of St. George and the Dragon for Sony Pictures, and originated a Disney film project called Children of Mars. In 2012 he entered a two-picture deal at Jerry Bruckheimer Films to adapt Ashley Wood's graphic novel World War Robot and write a space adventure film based on his own original pitch.
In 2013, Spaihts began work on the story for the Black Hole remake by Walt Disney Studios. The rights to his early science fiction screenplay had originally been sold to the Weinstein Company, with Keanu Reeves and Reese Witherspoon set to star, and Game of Thrones director Brian Kirk at the helm. The project was later made into the 2016 film Passengers by Sony Pictures, produced by Original Film and Company Films, directed by Morten Tyldum, and starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt.
He has written several books for The Princeton Review. Spaihts lives and works in Venice, California,[unreliable source?] and is married to actress Johanna Watts.[unreliable source?] He is also a photographer.
|2011||The Darkest Hour||Yes||No||Chris Gorak|
|2016||Doctor Strange||Yes||No||Scott Derrickson|
|2017||The Mummy||Yes||No||Alex Kurtzman|
- Jonathan Spaihts. Linked Authority File. OCLC/Library of Congress.
- Olson, Pamry (May 1, 2012), "Prometheus Screenwriter: Humans Will Never Reach Another Star, And Other Sobering Views On The Future", Forbes, p. 2, archived from the original on May 2, 2012, retrieved May 2, 2012.
- Cf. Spaihts' profile on Facebook.
- Leonard F (ed.). 2007. 2007 Black List, s.v. "Passengers by Jon Spaihts". 5. Cf. Halbfinger DM. 2007. "Tomorrow’s Oscar Hopefuls Today". The New York Times (December 8, 2007).
- Fleming M. 2009. "Alien prequel takes off". Variety (July 30, 2009).
- Sciretta P. 2007. "The Hottest Unproduced Screenplays of 2007". Slashfilm (December 9, 2007).
- Aspin, M. 2012. "Read The Original Alien-Style Prometheus Script". Archived October 6, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. What Culture (November 13, 2012).
- Siegel T. 2010. "Hirsch signs on for The Darkest Hour". Variety (April 10, 2010).
- Radish, Christina (April 9, 2012), "Screenwriter Jon Spaihts Talks Prometheus, World War Robot, Children of Mars, George and the Dragon, and More", Collider, archived from the original on April 10, 2012, retrieved April 10, 2012.
- Chitwoold, Adam (February 11, 2012), "Jerry Bruckheimer to Produce Space Adventure Film", Collider, archived from the original on May 2, 2012, retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Fleming, Jr, Mike (June 18, 2014). "Marvel Setting Jon Spaihts To Script 'Doctor Strange'". Deadline. Archived from the original on June 22, 2014. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- Goldberg, Matt (April 4, 2012), "Prometheus Co-Writer Jon Spaihts to Reboot The Mummy Franchise", Collider, archived from the original on May 2, 2012, retrieved April 10, 2012; Universal Studios press release in: (May 1, 2012), "Universal Signs Kurtzman and Orci; Pair Takes On The Mummy and Van Helsing", Deadline, archived from the original on May 2, 2012, retrieved May 1, 2012CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link).
- Baxter, Joseph (April 5, 2013). "The Black Hole Remake Lands Prometheus Writer". TheFeed.
- Brzeski, Patrick (May 21, 2013), "Cannes: Weinstein Co. Picks Up Reeves-Witherspoon Space Romance Passengers", The Hollywood Reporter, archived from the original on June 23, 2013, retrieved June 23, 2013.
- Donnelly, Matt (June 16, 2015), "Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence Sci-Fi Romance "Passengers" Greenlit at Sony Pictures", TheWrap, archived from the original on June 17, 2015, retrieved June 17, 2015.
- E.g. Spaihts J. 1997. Student advantage guide to the best graduate programs: humanities and social sciences. New York: Random House (The Princeton Review Series). ISBN 978-0-679-76911-8; cf. also WorldCat entries of Spaihts' publications below.
- Cf. Watts' profile on Facebook; see also Johanna Watts on IMDb.
- McNary, Dave (February 15, 2019). "Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune' Gets November 2020 Release Date". Variety. Retrieved March 5, 2019.
- "The Minecraft movie is just around the corner!". Mojang AB. April 16, 2019. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (April 30, 2015). "Lionsgate to Remake Cult Sci-Fi Hit 'Cube'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Lesnick, Silas (April 30, 2015). "Lionsgate Plans Cube Remake, Cubed". Comingsoon.net.