Chang Chen at the Cannes Film Festival, 2018.
Chuang Wen-ju (m. 2013)
Chang started his film career at a very young age. He was then selected by a Taiwanese film director Edward Yang to be the protagonist of a four-hour-long critically acclaimed film A Brighter Summer Day, which won the Special Jury Prize at the Tokyo International Film Festival.
One of the earliest films Chang acted in was Wong Kar-wai's Happy Together (1997). He rose to fame for his role as "Dark Cloud" in the 2000 film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon directed by Ang Lee. He also featured in Wong Kar-wai's 2046 (2004).
Chang then co-starred with Shu Qi in Hou Hsiao-hsien's Three Times (2005), which was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival and won Golden Horse accolades for Best Taiwanese film, among other awards. For his performance in that film, Chang was also nominated for a Best Actor award at the 2005 Golden Horse Awards.
In 2006, Chang was nominated for the Golden Horse Award for Best Actor for his role in The Go Master, a dramatisation of the life of the Go master Wu Qingyuan. The following year, Chang made his Korean debut in Kim Ki-duk's Breath, which was nominated for the Palme d'Or award at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival,
Chang then starred in the historical war epic Red Cliff (2008-2009), portraying the warlord Sun Quan. He was nominated at the Hong Kong Film Awards for Best Supporting Actor. He next starred in the 2012 historical epic The Last Supper directed by Lu Chuan and the 2013 kungfu epic The Grandmaster by Wong Kar-wai.
|Year||English title||Original title||Role||Notes|
|1986||Dark Night||暗夜||Huang Cheng-te|
|1991||A Brighter Summer Day||牯嶺街少年殺人事件||Chang Chen (Xiao Si'r)|
|2000||Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon||臥虎藏龍||Lo Xiaohu|
|2002||Chinese Odyssey 2002||天下無雙||Emperor Zhengde|
|2003||Sound of Colors||地下鐵||Chung Cheng|
|2003||Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas||N/A||Sinbad||Taiwanese version, voice|
|2004||Eros||愛神||Zhang||segment "The Hand"|
|2005||Three Times||最好的時光||Chen / Mr. Chang / Zhen|
|2006||The Go Master||吳清源||Wu Qingyuan|
|2007||My Blueberry Nights||N/A||Jeremy||Taiwanese version, voice|
|2007||Into the Faraway Sky||遠くの空に消えた||Smith||Cameo|
|2008||Red Cliff||赤壁||Sun Quan|
|2008||Missing||深海尋人 / 謎屍||Simon|
|2008||Parking||停車 / 車位||Chen Mo|
|2009||Red Cliff: Part 2||赤壁:決戰天下||Sun Quan|
|2010||Here Comes Fortune||財緣萬歲||Cheng Yu|
|2011||The Blue Cornflower||藍色矢車菊||William|
|2011||The Founding of a Party||建黨偉業||Chiang Kai-shek|
|2012||The Last Supper||王的盛宴||Han Xin|
|2012||Passion Island||熱愛島||Chuell Kim|
|2012||When Yesterday Comes||昨日的記憶||Chen Sheng||segment "Healing"|
|2013||The Grandmaster||一代宗師||Yi Xian Tian / Razor|
|2014||Brotherhood of Blades||繡春刀||Shen Lian|
|2015||The Assassin||聶隱娘 / 刺客聶隱娘||Tian Ji'an|
|2015||Monk Comes Down the Mountain||道士下山||Boss Zha|
|2016||The Secret Life of Pets||N/A||Snowball||Taiwanese version, voice|
|2017||Mr. Long||ミスター・ロン/ 龍先生||Long|
|2017||Brotherhood of Blades 2||繡春刀·修羅戰場||Shen Lian|
|2018||Forever Young||無問西東||Zhang Guoguo|
|2019||Love and Destiny||三生三世宸汐缘||Jiu Chen||First television series|
|2019||Stay Away From Me|
|2020||Dune||N/A||Dr. Wellington Yueh||Post-production|
|Year||English title||Original title||Notes|
|2014||Three Charmed Lives||三生||segment "Inchworm"|
Music video appearancesEdit
|2001||Brown Eyes||"Already One Year"|
|2001||Brown Eyes||"Bit By Bit"|
|2002||DJ Shadow||"Six Days"|
|Year||English title||Mandarin title|
|1986||The Adventures of Pinocchio||木偶奇遇記|
|Title||Album details||Track listing|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|1991||28th Golden Horse Awards||Best Leading Actor||A Brighter Summer Day||Nominated|
|1998||17th Hong Kong Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Happy Together||Nominated|
|2001||20th Hong Kong Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon||Nominated|
|2005||42nd Golden Horse Awards||Best Leading Actor||Three Times||Nominated|
|2007||1st Asian Film Awards||Best Actor||The Go Master||Nominated|
|2008||Osaka Asian Film Festival||Best Actor||Won|
|2010||29th Hong Kong Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Red Cliff: Part 2||Nominated|
|2014||51st Golden Horse Awards||Best Leading Actor||Brotherhood of Blades||Nominated|
|2018||25th Beijing College Student Film Festival||Best Actor||Brotherhood of Blades 2||Won|
|2019||26th Huading Awards||Best Actor (Historical drama)||Love and Destiny||Nominated|
|Golden Bud - The Fourth Network Film And Television Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|
- "Chang Chen". chinesemov.com. Retrieved February 3, 2010.
- "Int'l Star You Should Know: Chang Chen". Variety. January 17, 2004.
- "Report: Taiwan's Chang Chen eyes Hollywood". The Star Online. May 4, 2005. Archived from the original on June 28, 2011. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "Artist Spotlight: Chang Chen". The Harvard Crimson. September 8, 2015.
- "Festival de Cannes: Breath". festival-cannes.com. Archived from the original on October 12, 2012. Retrieved December 18, 2009.
- "Cannes sees Korean debut for Taiwan's Chang Chen". Reuters. May 20, 2007. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "Editors' Choice for 29th Hong Kong Film Awards". Travel CNN. April 15, 2010.
- "Historical drama "The last supper" to hit screen". CCTV.com. October 22, 2012. Archived from the original on December 7, 2017. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- "Brotherhood of Blades review: Ming Dynasty musketeers on a mission". The Sydney Morning Herald. November 4, 2014.
- "Berlin Film Review: 'Mr. Long'". Variety. February 13, 2017.
- "'Brotherhood of Blades 2' confident in quality". China.org.cn. July 20, 2017.
- "张震倪妮主演犯罪片《雪暴》定档4.26". Mtime (in Chinese). March 5, 2019.
- "张震首次出演电视剧，搭档倪妮演绎《三生三世宸汐缘》". Sina (in Chinese). April 9, 2019.
- "Chang Chen Joining Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune' (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. March 17, 2019.
- "Student film festival draws down the curtain". China Daily. May 7, 2018.
- "第26届华鼎奖提名名单：李现肖战获新锐演员提名". Sina (in Chinese). November 8, 2019.
- "金骨朵网络影视盛典提名揭晓 王一博肖战杨紫等入围". Ynet (in Chinese). November 25, 2019.