2019 Copa América
The 2019 Copa América will be the 46th edition of the Copa América, the quadrennial international men's association football championship organized by South America's football ruling body CONMEBOL. It will be held in Brazil. Chile are the two-time defending champions, having won the 2015 and 2016 editions of the tournament.
|CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019|
|Dates||14 June – 7 July|
|Teams||12 (from 2 confederations)|
|Venue(s)||6 (in 5 host cities)|
Originally, the 2019 Copa América was to be hosted by Chile, while Brazil was due to host the 2015 Copa América, due to CONMEBOL's rotation policy of tournaments being held in alphabetical order. However, due to the organization of the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics in that country, Brazil decided against also hosting the 2015 Copa América. Brazil and Chile's Football Federations discussed the idea of swapping around the order of being hosts of the 2015 and 2019 championships. This agreement was approved by CONMEBOL in 2012.
The 2019 Copa America will be the final edition played on odd years and with 12 teams. Starting in 2020, the tournament will be held in the same year as similar tournaments such as the UEFA European Championship and will have 16 teams.
On 14 June 2018, CBF Vice President Fernando Sarney announced that five cities will host the tournament: Salvador, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre. The list of stadia was decided on 17 September 2018. The opening match will be held at the Estádio do Morumbi in São Paulo, the semi-finals will be held at the Arena do Grêmio in Porto Alegre and Estádio Mineirão in Belo Horizonte, and the final will be held at the Estádio do Maracanã in Rio de Janeiro. On 23 November 2018, CONMEBOL announced that the second São Paulo venue would be changed from the Allianz Parque to Arena Corinthians.
|Rio de Janeiro||São Paulo|
|Estádio do Maracanã||Estádio do Morumbi||Arena Corinthians|
|Capacity: 74,738||Capacity: 67,428||Capacity: 49,205|
|Belo Horizonte||Porto Alegre||Salvador|
|Estádio Mineirão||Arena do Grêmio||Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova|
|Capacity: 58,170||Capacity: 55,662||Capacity: 51,900|
Apart from all ten CONMEBOL national teams which are eligible to enter. CONMEBOL initially planned to hold a 16-team tournament by inviting six teams from outside CONMEBOL. On 16 March 2018, CONMEBOL announced three teams from CONCACAF and three teams from Asian Football Confederation (AFC) would be invited to participate in the 2019 Copa América. On 12 April 2018, it was announced that Qatar, the host of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, accepted the invitation to participate in the tournament. On 4 May 2018, CONMEBOL announced that the tournament would instead be played with 12 teams, the same number as previous editions since 1993 (apart from the Copa América Centenario held in 2016), with the two guest teams being Qatar and Japan from the AFC. Both teams managed to reach the final of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup held in the UAE, which was won by Qatar.
Qatar will be making their debut appearance in the Copa América becoming the first Arab nation to play in the tournament, while Japan will be making their second appearance, their first since 1999. This will also be the first Copa América to not feature any team from CONCACAF since teams have been invited; in particular, Mexico, which have competed in all ten editions since 1993 as an invited team, will not participate in this tournament. United States have competed in four tournaments, including the 2016 event as host.
The draw of the tournament took place on 24 January 2019, 20:30 BRST (UTC−2), at the Cidade das Artes in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The 12 teams were drawn into three groups of four, by selecting one team from each of the 4 ranked pots.
At the CONMEBOL Council meeting held on 23 November 2018, it was decided that FIFA Ranking would be the basis to determine the seeds and the distribution of the rest of teams in the pots of the draw. This decision will also be valid for future editions of the Copa America.
For the draw, the teams were allocated to four pots based on the FIFA World Ranking of December 2018 (shown in brackets). Pot 1 contained the hosts Brazil (who were automatically assigned to position A1) and the best two teams, pot 2 contained the next best three teams, and so on for pots 3 and 4. The teams from Pot 1 would be assigned to position 1 in their group, while the teams from Pots 2, 3 and 4 would be drawn to one of the positions 2, 3 or 4 in their group. The two guest teams, Japan and Qatar, which were seeded in different pots, could not be drawn in the same group.
|Pot 1||Pot 2||Pot 3||Pot 4|
|Hernan Maidana |
Juan Pablo Belatti
|Bolivia||Gery Vargas||José Antelo |
|Rodrigo Correa |
Marcelo Van Gasse
|Christian Schiemann |
|Alexander Guzmán |
John Alexander Leon
|Christian Lescano |
|Paraguay||Mario Díaz de Vivar
|Eduardo Cardozo |
|Johnny Bossio |
|Nicolás Taran |
|Carlos López |
The match schedule was announced on 18 December 2018. The winners and runners-up of each group and the two best third-placed teams among all groups advance to the quarter-finals.
|1||Brazil (H)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Advance to knockout stage|
|3||Venezuela||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Possible knockout stage based on ranking|
|1||Argentina||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Advance to knockout stage|
|3||Paraguay||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Possible knockout stage based on ranking|
|1||Uruguay||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Advance to knockout stage|
|3||Japan||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Possible knockout stage based on ranking|
Ranking of third-placed teamsEdit
|1||A||Third place Group A||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Advance to knockout stage|
|2||B||Third place Group B||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|3||C||Third place Group C||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Goal difference; 3) Goals scored; 4) Drawing of lots.
|27 June – Porto Alegre|
|Winner Group A|
|2 July – Belo Horizonte|
|3rd Group B/C|
|Winner Match 19|
|28 June – Rio de Janeiro|
|Winner Match 21|
|Runner-up Group A|
|7 July – Rio de Janeiro|
|Runner-up Group B|
|Winner Match 23|
|28 June – São Paulo (Corinthians)|
|Winner Match 24|
|Winner Group B|
|3 July – Porto Alegre|
|Runner-up Group C|
|Winner Match 20|
|29 June – Salvador|
|Winner Match 22||Third place play-off|
|Winner Group C|
|6 July – São Paulo (Corinthians)|
|3rd Group A/B|
|Loser Match 23|
|Loser Match 24|
Third place play-offEdit
|Brazil (host)||Rede Globo||TBA|||
|SporTV||All 26 matches live|||
|DirecTV Sports||All 26 matches live|
|TyC Sports||All 26 matches live|
|Tigo Sports||All 26 matches live|
|Tenfield||All 26 matches live|
|El Salvador||Canal 4|
|United States||ESPN||All 26 matches live in English on ESPN+|||
|Telemundo (Spanish)||All 26 matches live in Spanish on Telemundo Deportes website and Telemundo Now. Selected matches live on Telemundo|||
|Albania||DigitAlb||All 26 matches live on SuperSport.|||
|France||beIN Sports||All 26 matches live.|||
|Japan (invited team)||TBA|
|TBA (Pay TV)|
|MENA (including Qatar as the invited team)||beIN SPORTS||All 26 matches live.|||
|NENT||All 26 matches live on Viasport and Viaplay.|||
|Romania||Eurosport||All 26 matches live.|||
|Uzbekistan||NTRCU||Selected matches live on Sport channel.|||
- Iannaca, Márcio (22 February 2011). "Copa América será no Brasil em 2015, confirma CBF em seminário" [The Copa América will be in Brazil in 2015, the CBF confirms in a meeting]. O Globo (in Portuguese).
- "La Copa América da otro paso hacia Chile" [The Copa América takes another step towards Chile]. La Nación (in Spanish). 8 August 2009.
- Oficial: la Copa América 2015 en Chile Archived 13 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "USA, Mexico and two Euro giants could play in 2019 Copa America in Brazil". CBS Sports. 10 May 2017.
- "FIFA Council makes key decisions for the future of football development". FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- "Morumbi fará abertura da Copa América. Allianz recebe os outros jogos em SP" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "Comité Organizador Local confirma estadios de apertura, final y semifinales de la CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019". CONMEBOL.com. 18 September 2018.
- "Arena Corinthians entra na vaga do Allianz Parque para a Copa América" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Sem europeus, Brasil busca alternativas para ter 16 times na Copa América de 2019" [Without european teams, Brazil is looking for alternatives to having 16 teams in 2019 Copa América] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 16 March 2018.
- "Surprise Nation to Be Included in Copa America 2019 to Be Held in Brazil". Sports Illustrated. 5 April 2018. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Jaafar, Karim (12 April 2018). "Qatar say yes to playing in 2019 Copa America". AFP.com. Agence France-Presse. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Copa América BRASIL 2019 se disputará con 12 selecciones". Conmebol (in Spanish). 4 May 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Mexico, United States not included as CONMEBOL announces 12-team 2019 Copa America". Goal.com. 4 May 2018.
- "El 24 de enero en Río de Janeiro se celebrará el sorteo de la Copa América Brasil 2019 | CONMEBOL". www.conmebol.com (in Spanish). 19 October 2018. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "Comienza a vibrar el continente: Definidos los grupos de la CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019". CONMEBOL.com. 24 January 2019.
- "CONMEBOL y Comité Organizador Local definen calendario de la CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019" [CONMEBOL and Local Organizing Committee define the calendar of the CONMEBOL Copa América Brazil 2019] (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. 18 December 2018. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking: Men's Ranking (20 December 2018)". FIFA. 20 December 2018. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "Mecánica del sorteo de grupos de la CONMEBOL Copa América - Brasil 2019" (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. 18 January 2018.
- "Árbitros convocados para la CONMEBOL Copa América - Brasil 2019". CONMEBOL.com. 21 March 2019.
- "Nos complace informarles que la Comisión de Árbitros ha designado a los árbitros y árbitros asistentes de sus respectivas asociaciones para participar de la CONMEBOL COPA AMÉRICA BRASIL 2019" (PDF). CONMEBOL.com.
- "Match Schedule" (PDF). CONMEBOL.com.
- "Globo paga por Copa América no Brasil um terço do Paulista: R$ 51 mi - Esporte - UOL Esporte". UOL Esporte (in Portuguese). Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Lucas, Naian (23 November 2018). "Band não vai exibir jogos da Copa América do Brasil 2019". O CANAL (in Portuguese). Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- admin. "Copa America 2019 Broadcasting Rights In Brazil". Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Copa América 'Brasil 2019': América TV será el canal oficial en Perú". americadeportes (in Spanish). Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Teletica to Broadcast Copa America 2019 Live in Costa Rica". Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Copa America 2019 Schedule,Teams,Live, News and Updates". Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- Harris, Christopher (20 March 2019). "ESPN+ acquires Copa América rights in English and Portuguese for US market". World Soccer Talk. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "Telemundo Scores 2019 Copa America TV Rights". Multichannel. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Telemundo Deportes broadcast Copa America 2019 live in Spanish". Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "DigitAlb". ms-my.facebook.com (in Malay). Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "CAN, Copa, Euro Espoirs : Votre été sera chaud sur beIN SPORTS". beIN SPORTS France (in French). Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- Απρ. 2019 20:48, Επιμέλεια: Νίκος Συριώδης Δημοσίευση: 12. "Το Copa America στην ΕΡΤ". www.sport24.gr. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- Ismail, Sulaiman (3 April 2019). "RTM Berjaya Dapat Hak Penyiaran Copa America 2019". Semuanya BOLA. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "All you need to know about the 2019 Copa America Draw". beIN SPORTS. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "NENT snap up Nordic Bundesliga rights in big soccer land grab - SportsPro Media". www.sportspromedia.com. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "Eurosport Romania scores exclusive rights to 2019 Copa America". Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "Sport-TV telekanali Amerika Kubogi—2019 musobaqasi translyatsiya huquqini qo'lga kiritdi". Daryo (in Uzbek). Retrieved 14 April 2019.