2019 Copa América
This article documents a current sporting event. Information may change rapidly as the event progresses. Initial news reports, scores, or statistics may be unreliable. The last updates to this article may not reflect the most current information. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 2019 Copa América is the 46th edition of the Copa América, the quadrennial international men's association football championship organized by South America's football ruling body CONMEBOL. It is held in Brazil. Chile are the two-time defending champions, having won the 2015 and 2016 editions of the tournament.
|CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019|
Vibra o Continente
(Vibra el Continente)
|Dates||14 June – 7 July|
|Teams||12 (from 2 confederations)|
|Venue(s)||6 (in 5 host cities)|
|Goals scored||5 (1.67 per match)|
|Attendance||60,630 (20,210 per match)|
|Top scorer(s)||Philippe Coutinho (2 goals)|
Originally, the 2019 Copa América was to be hosted by Chile, while Brazil was due to host the 2015 Copa América, due to CONMEBOL's rotation policy of tournaments being held in alphabetical order. However, due to the organization of the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, 2014 FIFA World Cup, and the 2016 Summer Olympics in that country, Brazil decided against also hosting the 2015 Copa América. Brazil and Chile's football federations agreed to swap the order of being hosts of the 2015 and 2019 championships. This agreement was approved by CONMEBOL in 2012.
The 2019 Copa America is the final edition played on odd years and with 12 teams. Starting in 2020, the tournament will be held in the same year as similar tournaments such as the UEFA European Championship.
On 14 June 2018, CBF Vice President Fernando Sarney announced that five cities will host the tournament: Salvador, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre. The list of stadia was decided on 17 September 2018. The opening match will be held at the Estádio do Morumbi in São Paulo, the semi-finals will be held at the Arena do Grêmio in Porto Alegre and Estádio Mineirão in Belo Horizonte, and the final will be held at the Estádio do Maracanã in Rio de Janeiro. On 23 November 2018, CONMEBOL announced that the second São Paulo venue would be changed from the Allianz Parque to Arena Corinthians.
|Rio de Janeiro||São Paulo|
|Estádio do Maracanã||Estádio do Morumbi||Arena Corinthians|
|Capacity: 74,738||Capacity: 67,428||Capacity: 49,205|
|Belo Horizonte||Porto Alegre||Salvador|
|Estádio Mineirão||Arena do Grêmio||Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova|
|Capacity: 58,170||Capacity: 55,662||Capacity: 51,900|
Apart from all ten CONMEBOL national teams which are eligible to enter, CONMEBOL initially planned to hold a 16-team tournament by inviting six teams from outside CONMEBOL. On 16 March 2018, CONMEBOL announced three teams from CONCACAF and three teams from Asian Football Confederation (AFC) would be invited to participate in the 2019 Copa América. On 12 April 2018, it was announced that Qatar, the host of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, accepted the invitation to participate in the tournament. On 4 May 2018, CONMEBOL announced that the tournament would instead be played with 12 teams, the same number as previous editions since 1993 (apart from the Copa América Centenario held in 2016), with the two guest teams being Qatar and Japan from the AFC. Both teams managed to reach the final of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup held in the UAE, which was won by Qatar.
Qatar will be making their debut appearance in the Copa América becoming the first Arab nation to play in the tournament, while Japan will be making their second appearance, their first since 1999. This will also be the first Copa América to not feature any team from CONCACAF since teams have been invited; in particular, Mexico, which have competed in all ten editions since 1993 as an invited team, will not participate in this tournament. United States have competed in four tournaments, including the 2016 event as host.
The draw of the tournament took place on 24 January 2019, 20:30 BRST (UTC−2), at the Cidade das Artes in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The 12 teams were drawn into three groups of four, by selecting one team from each of the 4 ranked pots.
At the CONMEBOL Council meeting held on 23 November 2018, it was decided that FIFA Ranking would be the basis to determine the seeds and the distribution of the rest of teams in the pots of the draw. This decision will also be valid for future editions of the Copa America.
For the draw, the teams were allocated to four pots based on the FIFA World Ranking of December 2018 (shown in brackets). Pot 1 contained the hosts Brazil (who were automatically assigned to position A1) and the best two teams, pot 2 contained the next best three teams, and so on for pots 3 and 4. The teams from Pot 1 would be assigned to position 1 in their group, while the teams from Pots 2, 3 and 4 would be drawn to one of the positions 2, 3 or 4 in their group. The two guest teams, Japan and Qatar, which were seeded in different pots, could not be drawn in the same group.
|Pot 1||Pot 2||Pot 3||Pot 4|
Juan Pablo Belatti
|Bolivia||Gery Vargas||José Antelo|
Marcelo Van Gasse
John Alexander León
|Paraguay||Mario Díaz de Vivar
Each team has to submit a list of 23 players (3 must be goalkeepers).
|Matchday 1||14–17 June 2019||1 v 2, 3 v 4|
|Matchday 2||18–21 June 2019||1 v 3, 2 v 4|
|Matchday 3||22–24 June 2019||4 v 1, 2 v 3|
The ranking of teams in the group stage is determined as follows:
- Points obtained in all group matches (three points for a win, one for a draw, none for a defeat);
- Goal difference in all group matches;
- Number of goals scored in all group matches;
- Points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
- Goal difference in the matches played between the teams in question;
- Number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
- Fair play points in all group matches (only one deduction could be applied to a player in a single match):
- Yellow card: −1 points;
- Indirect red card (second yellow card): −3 points;
- Direct red card: −4 points;
- Yellow card and direct red card: −5 points;
- Drawing of lots.
|1||Brazil (H)||1||1||0||0||3||0||+3||3||Advance to knockout stage|
|3||Venezuela||1||0||1||0||0||0||0||1[a]||Possible knockout stage based on ranking|
- Fair play points: Peru −2, Venezuela −4.
|1||Colombia||1||1||0||0||2||0||+2||3||Advance to knockout stage|
|2||Qatar||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Possible knockout stage based on ranking|
|1||Uruguay||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Advance to knockout stage|
|1||Japan||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||Possible knockout stage based on ranking|
Ranking of third-placed teamsEdit
|1||A||Venezuela||1||0||1||0||0||0||0||1||Advance to knockout stage|
|2||B||Third place of Group B||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2||C||Third place of Group C||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Goal difference; 3) Goals scored; 4) Drawing of lots.
In the knockout stage, if a match is tied after 90 minutes:
- In the quarter-finals, extra time is not played, and the match is decided by a penalty shoot-out.
- In the semi-finals, third place play-off and final, extra time is played, where a fourth substitute will be allowed for each team. If still tied after extra time, the match is decided by a penalty shoot-out.
|27 June – Porto Alegre|
|Winner Group A|
|2 July – Belo Horizonte|
|3rd Group B/C|
|Winner Match 19|
|28 June – Rio de Janeiro|
|Winner Match 21|
|Runner-up Group A|
|7 July – Rio de Janeiro|
|Runner-up Group B|
|Winner Match 23|
|28 June – São Paulo (Corinthians)|
|Winner Match 24|
|Winner Group B|
|3 July – Porto Alegre|
|Runner-up Group C|
|Winner Match 20|
|29 June – Salvador|
|Winner Match 22||Third place play-off|
|Winner Group C|
|6 July – São Paulo (Corinthians)|
|3rd Group A/B|
|Loser Match 23|
|Loser Match 24|
Third place play-offEdit
There have been 5 goals scored in 3 matches, for an average of 1.67 goals per match.
The mascot of the tournament is Zizito, a capybara whose name pays homage to Zizinho, the Brazilian footballer who shares the all-time goal-scoring record in the Copa América (17 goals with Argentine Norberto Doroteo Méndez).
The slogan of the 2019 Copa América is "Vibra el Continente/Vibra o Continente" (Rocking the Continent).
|Brazil (host)||Rede Globo||Selected matches live (including all Brazil matches and final)|||
|SporTV||All 26 matches live|||
|DirecTV Sports||All 26 matches live|
|Argentina||Televisión Pública Argentina||Selected matches (including one opening group and all Argentina matches)|||
|TyC Sports||All 26 matches live|
|Bolivia||Bolivia TV||Selected matches live (including all Bolivia matches)|
|Tigo Sports||All 26 matches live|
|Chile||Canal 13||Selected matches live (including opening group matches, all Chile matches, and final)|||
|Colombia||Caracol Televisión||Selected matches live (including opening group matches, all Colombia matches, and final)|
|Ecuador||Teleamazonas||All 26 matches live|||
|Peru||América Televisión||Selected matches live (including opening group matches, all Peru matches, and final)|||
|Uruguay||Teledoce||Selected matches live (including opening group matches, all Uruguay matches)|
|Tenfield||All 26 matches live|
|Canada||TSN (English)||All 26 Matches Live|
|Caribbean||Digicel||All 26 matches live on SportsMax|||
|All 26 matches live respectively|
|TV Azteca||Selected matches live (including opening group match and final)|
|Costa Rica||Repretel||All 26 matches live on channel 6 and 11|||
|El Salvador||TCS||All 26 matches live|
|Honduras||Canal 6||Selected matches live (including opening group match and final)|
|Tigo Sports||All 26 matches live|
|Panama||RPC-TV||Selected matches live respectively|||
|United States||ESPN||All 26 matches live in English and Portuguese on ESPN+|||
|Telemundo||All 26 matches live in Spanish on Telemundo, Universo, Telemundo Deportes website, Telemundo Now, and Universo Now respectively.|||
|Austria||DAZN||All 26 matches live|
|Japan (invited team)|
|Australia||beIN Sports||All 26 matches live|||
|MENA (including an invited team)|||
|Albania||DigitAlb||All 26 matches live on SuperSport|||
|Arena Sport||All 26 matches live|
|Belgium||Telenet||All 26 matches live on Play Sports|||
|Cambodia||CBS||All 26 matches live on CTN, CNC, and MyTV|||
|China||CCTV||All 26 matches live on cctv.com and APP.|
|Czech Republic||O2||All 26 matches live on both Football and Sport channels|||
|Galicia ( Spain)||tvG2||Only selected 10 matches.|
|Greece||ERT||Selected matches live on Sports channel|||
|Hong Kong||Now TV||All 26 matches live.|
|Hungary||Sport TV||All 26 matches live.|||
|Iceland||365||All 26 matches live on Stöð 2 Sport 1 and 2|||
|Indonesia||Kompas Gramedia||All 26 matches live on K-Vision, highlights also available on Kompas TV|||
|Iran||IRIB||Selected matches live on TV3 and Varzesh|
|Ireland||Eir Sport||All 26 matches live on 1 and 2|
|Premier Sports||All 26 matches live|||
|Israel||Charlton||All 26 matches live on Sport 1 and Sport 2|
|Kazakhstan||Setanta Sports||All 26 matches live.|||
|Malaysia||RTM||20 of 26 matches (17 live and 3 delayed) on TV1, TV2, and Sport channel|||
|Netherlands||Fox Sports||All 26 matches live on three International channels|||
|NENT||All 26 matches live on Viasport and Viaplay.|||
|Poland||Polsat||All 26 matches live on Sport and Extra.|||
|Portugal||Sport TV||All 26 matches live.|||
|Romania||Eurosport||All 26 matches live.|||
|Russia||Match TV||All 26 matches live.|
|Singapore||StarHub||All 26 matches live on Hub Sports|||
|Slovakia||Orange||All 26 matches live.|||
|South Korea||JTBC3 Fox Sports||All 26 matches live.|
|Sub-Saharan Africa||StarTimes||All 26 matches live.|||
|Taiwan||ELTA||All 26 matches live|
|Tajikistan||Televizioni Tojikiston||Selected matches live on Varzish and Futbol.|
|Thailand||PPTV||All 26 matches live|||
|Turkey||TRT||Selected matches live on Sport channel.|||
|Uzbekistan||NTRCU||Selected matches live on Sport channel.|||
|Vietnam||FPT Group||All 26 matches live|||
- Iannaca, Márcio (22 February 2011). "Copa América será no Brasil em 2015, confirma CBF em seminário" [The Copa América will be in Brazil in 2015, the CBF confirms in a meeting]. O Globo (in Portuguese).
- "La Copa América da otro paso hacia Chile" [The Copa América takes another step towards Chile]. La Nación (in Spanish). 8 August 2009.
- Oficial: la Copa América 2015 en Chile Archived 13 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "USA, Mexico and two Euro giants could play in 2019 Copa America in Brazil". CBS Sports. 10 May 2017.
- "FIFA Council makes key decisions for the future of football development". FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- "Morumbi fará abertura da Copa América. Allianz recebe os outros jogos em SP" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "Comité Organizador Local confirma estadios de apertura, final y semifinales de la CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019". CONMEBOL.com. 18 September 2018.
- "Arena Corinthians entra na vaga do Allianz Parque para a Copa América" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Sem europeus, Brasil busca alternativas para ter 16 times na Copa América de 2019" [Without european teams, Brazil is looking for alternatives to having 16 teams in 2019 Copa América] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 16 March 2018.
- "Surprise Nation to Be Included in Copa America 2019 to Be Held in Brazil". Sports Illustrated. 5 April 2018. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Jaafar, Karim (12 April 2018). "Qatar say yes to playing in 2019 Copa America". AFP.com. Agence France-Presse. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Copa América BRASIL 2019 se disputará con 12 selecciones". Conmebol (in Spanish). 4 May 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Mexico, United States not included as CONMEBOL announces 12-team 2019 Copa America". Goal.com. 4 May 2018.
- "El 24 de enero en Río de Janeiro se celebrará el sorteo de la Copa América Brasil 2019 | CONMEBOL". www.conmebol.com (in Spanish). 19 October 2018. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "Comienza a vibrar el continente: Definidos los grupos de la CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019". CONMEBOL.com. 24 January 2019.
- "CONMEBOL y Comité Organizador Local definen calendario de la CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019" [CONMEBOL and Local Organizing Committee define the calendar of the CONMEBOL Copa América Brazil 2019] (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. 18 December 2018. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking: Men's Ranking (20 December 2018)". FIFA. 20 December 2018. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "Mecánica del sorteo de grupos de la CONMEBOL Copa América - Brasil 2019" (in Spanish). CONMEBOL.com. 18 January 2018.
- "Árbitros convocados para la CONMEBOL Copa América - Brasil 2019". CONMEBOL.com. 21 March 2019.
- "Nos complace informarles que la Comisión de Árbitros ha designado a los árbitros y árbitros asistentes de sus respectivas asociaciones para participar de la CONMEBOL COPA AMÉRICA BRASIL 2019" (PDF). CONMEBOL.com.
- "CONMEBOL Copa América Brasil 2019: Reglamento" [CONMEBOL Copa América Brazil 2019: Regulations] (PDF) (in Spanish). CONMEBOL. 26 April 2019. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2 May 2019. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- "Match Schedule" (PDF). CONMEBOL.com.
- "Brazil vs. Bolivia". ESPN. 14 June 2019. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "Venezuela vs. Peru". ESPN. 15 June 2019. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "Zizito es escogido como nombre de la mascota de la CONMEBOL Copa América - Brasil 2019". CONMEBOL.com. 12 April 2019.
- "Globo paga por Copa América no Brasil um terço do Paulista: R$ 51 mi - Esporte - UOL Esporte". UOL Esporte (in Portuguese). Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Lucas, Naian (23 November 2018). "Band não vai exibir jogos da Copa América do Brasil 2019". O CANAL (in Portuguese). Retrieved 25 December 2018.
- admin. "Copa America 2019 Broadcasting Rights In Brazil". Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- Clarín Group. "La TV Pública transmitirá la Copa América de Brasil 2019". Clarín Group (in Spanish). Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Canal 13 y TVN transmitirán la Copa América 2019 en conjunto". adnradio.cl (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "La Copa América Brasil-2019 se transmitirá en Ecuador por Teleamazonas". El Universo (in Spanish). 29 March 2019. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Copa América 'Brasil 2019': América TV será el canal oficial en Perú". americadeportes (in Spanish). Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Tous les matchs de la COPA AMERICA en exclusivité sur RDS DIRECT du 14 juin au 7 juillet – Bell Media" (in French). Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "SportsMax TV on Instagram: "Who's ready for the Copa America this summer? Football has no days off! Catch the Copa America on the Home Of Champions June 14 to July 7.…"". Instagram. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Bertran, Agustin (17 April 2019). "Repretel transmitirá la Copa América en exclusiva en Costa Rica". NexTV News Latin America (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- RPC (16 April 2019), La Copa América la vivís por la RPC, retrieved 14 June 2019
- "TVMAX Panamá". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- Harris, Christopher (20 March 2019). "ESPN+ acquires Copa América rights in English and Portuguese for US market". World Soccer Talk. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "Telemundo Scores 2019 Copa America TV Rights". Multichannel. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Telemundo Deportes broadcast Copa America 2019 live in Spanish". Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "DAZN überträgt Copa America und Gold Cup". Focus.de (in German). Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "Oficial: DAZN dará la Copa América". as.com (in Spanish). 13 June 2019. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "BeIN adds Australia, New Zealand to Copa América coverage". Sportbusiness.com. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "CAN, Copa, Euro Espoirs : Votre été sera chaud sur beIN SPORTS". beIN SPORTS France (in French). Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "All you need to know about the 2019 Copa America Draw". beIN SPORTS. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "DigitAlb". ms-my.facebook.com (in Malay). Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "Copa America: vanaf 14 juni live op Play Sports!". Play Sports (in Dutch). Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "ផ្លូវការ! CBS ទទួលបានសិទ្ធផ្សាយបន្តផ្ទាល់ពានរង្វាន់ Copa America 2019 ពីប្រទេសប្រេស៊ីល". MSR Sport (in Khmer). Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "Turnaj Copa América prinesie slovenským divákom Orange Sport, českým O2 TV Sport". SatelitnaTV (in Slovak). Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- Απρ. 2019 20:48, Επιμέλεια: Νίκος Συριώδης Δημοσίευση: 12. "Το Copa America στην ΕΡΤ". www.sport24.gr. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "A Copa América és az Afrikai Nemzetek Kupája is a Sport TV-re költözik". www.sport1tv.hu (in Hungarian). Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- Copa America, retrieved 15 June 2019
- "Official Account K-Vision TV on Instagram: "KABAR GEMBIRA UNTUK SELURUH PELANGGAN K-VISION!! 🎉 . COPA AMERICA 2019 SEGERA TAYANG EKSKLUSIF DI K-VISION! . Aktifkan Paket Juara (J01)…"". Instagram. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Premier Sports secures Copa América rights in the UK this summer". Premier Sports. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "Setanta Qazaqstan футбол жанкүйерлерін қуантуға асығады! Телеарна 14 маусым мен 7 шілде аралығында Бразилияда өтетін Copa America 2019 турнирінің матчтарын көрсету құқығын иеленді". Setanta Qazaqstan (in Kazakh). Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Ismail, Sulaiman (3 April 2019). "RTM Berjaya Dapat Hak Penyiaran Copa America 2019". Semuanya BOLA (in Malay). Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "Copa America in juni live op FOX Sports". Fox Sports NL (in Dutch). Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "NENT snap up Nordic Bundesliga rights in big soccer land grab - SportsPro Media". www.sportspromedia.com. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "Copa America 2019 w Polsacie Sport!". Polsat Sport (in Polish). Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- "Portugals Sport TV channel has officially won the Copa America 2019 Brazil Spotlight". Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- "Eurosport Romania scores exclusive rights to 2019 Copa America". Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- Copa America and Concacaf Gold Cup comes to Hub Sports!, retrieved 13 June 2019
- "Turnaj Copa América prinesie slovenským divákom Orange Sport, českým O2 TV Sport". SatelitnaTV (in Slovak). Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- "StarTimes picks up Copa América rights in sub-Saharan Africa". SportBusiness. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "PPTV HD 36". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "Copa America maçları TRT Spor'dan canlı yayınlanacak". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Sport-TV telekanali Amerika Kubogi—2019 musobaqasi translyatsiya huquqini qo'lga kiritdi". Daryo (in Uzbek). Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- "FPT Play sở hữu bản quyền của Copa America 2019". laodong.vn (in vn). Retrieved 1 June 2019.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)