Canal 13 (Chile)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Channel 13 is a Chilean free-to-air television channel. It was launched on 21 August 1959, on VHF channel 2 of Santiago, in a broadcast led by a group of engineers from the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile. Subsequently, the TV station moved its frequency to VHF channel 13, which gave rise to its current name. In its beginnings, one of its most important milestones was the broadcast of the 1962 FIFA World Cup, held in Chile.
|Launched||21 August 1959|
|Owned by||Canal 13 S.A. |
Luksic Group (Through TV Medios Investments Ltd.)
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 480i for the SDTV feed)
|Slogan||Estamos aquí para compartir |
(We're here to share)
|Formerly called||Canal 2 UC (1959-1961) |
Canal 13 UC (1961-1970)
Corporación de Televisión de la Universidad Católica de Chile (1970-1982)
Universidad Católica de Chile Televisión (1982-1999)
Corporación de Televisión de la Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (secondary, 2000–2002)
|Sister channel(s)||Canal 13 HD |
Canal 13 Internacional
|Digital terrestrial television||Santiago:|
Channel 13 (HD)
|DirecTV||Channel 152 (SD)|
Channel 1152 (HD)
|Claro TV||Channel 56 (SD)|
Channel 556 (HD)
|VTR||Channel 713 (HD)|
Owned by the Luksic Group, Channel 13 is the second oldest television station in Chile. It was named Corporación de Televisión de la Pontificia Universidad de Chile (Television Corporation of the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile) until 2010. However, the station is known in Chile as El 13 (the thirteenth) since its inception.
Its central studios are located in the Eleodoro Rodríguez Matte Television Centre, which houses the channel's production and broadcast facilities since the 1980s. The complex is located in Providencia, Metropolitan Region of Santiago and has 5 hectares of infrastructure. Since 1998, these dependencies have been named after the station's deceased executive director, Eleodoro Rodríguez Matte, who was one of the longest-serving men in this position.
The TV station also controls 5 sister networks in Chile, such as:
- 13C: formerly called "Canal 13 Cable". Its programming is focused towards cultural-themed series.
- Canal 13 HD: it was the first HD channel in the country and one of the first of its kind in Latin America. It was launched in 2009 and it is currently treated as Channel 13's main feed, airing most of its content in high-definition.
- Canal 13 Valparaíso: Channel 13's television affiliate from the Valparaíso Region. It broadcasts local news.
- Canal 13 Concepción: Channel 13's television affiliate from the Bío Bío Region. It broadcasts local news
The network owns four radio stations, most of them of local-wide availability.
- Horizonte.cl is a radio station that focuses on Indie and alternative rock that was purchased in 2012 by Channel 13. It is only available online.
- Oasis FM: radio station purchased by Channel 13, only available in Santiago and the southern half of the country.
- Play FM: radio station airing English-language mainstream pop music. It also airs Spanish-language music but not as frequently. Its broadcasts on the 100.9 FM band in Santiago.
- Sonar FM: local radio station that broadcasts Rock and Hard rock music. It is only available in Santiago
- Tele13 Radio: local news radio station which is part of the News Department of the channel.
- Eventos 13 is the event-focused division of the station, which offers special events services.
Digital terrestrial televisionEdit
|24.1||4:3 or 16:9||Canal 13|
|1959–1961||Transmite, Canal 2 de la Universidad Católica de Chile (Channel 2 broadcasting from the Catholic University of Chile)|
|1961–1963||Transmite, Canal 13 de la Universidad Católica de Chile (Broadcasting, Channel 13 from the Catholic University of Chile)|
|1968–1973||Por la patria, dios y la Universidad (For the country, God and the university)|
|1978||Bienvenido al mundo del color (Welcome to the world of color!)|
|1979-1982||Universidad Católica de Chile Televisión|
|1980||¡El canal con todo! (The channel with all!)|
|1984–1997||Esta es Universidad Católica de Chile Television (This is the Catholic University of Chile Television.)|
|1988–1992||En sus hogares, Universidad Católica de Chile Television (In your homes, the Catholic University of Chile Television.)|
|1992–1999||Transmite Universidad Católica de Chile Television (Catholic University of Chile Television is on the air.)|
|1996–1999||Su canal de Siempre (Your channel, always)|
|1999–2000||Siga la señal del 13 (Follow the signal from 13)|
|2000–2002||Transmite, Corporación de Televisión de la Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Canal 13. (The Television Corporation of the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, Channel 13 is on the air)|
|2002–2005||Está bueno el 13 (13 is good)|
|2005–2009||Nos vemos en el 13 (We are in the 13)|
|2009–2010||Todo lo bueno suma 13 (Everything good sums up 13)|
|2010||El 13 en tu vida siempre (The 13 in your life forever)|
|2010||Ahora es Cuando (Now is When)|
|2011||Prendete con el 13 (Turn yourself on with 13)|
|2012-present||Por el 13 (On 13)|
|2018-present||Estamos aquí para compartir (We're here to share)|
|En su propia trampa||investigative journalism||2011–||7|
|Acoso Textual||Dating Show||2004–2010||2|
|El Mundo del Profesor Rossa||Children's television series, )||1984–2001||17|
|El Rival Más Débil||Quiz show||2003-2004||2 |
|Gigantes con Vivi||variety show||2003–2009||7|
|¿Quien quiere ser Millonario?: Alta Tensión||Quiz show||2011–2012||4|
|Trato Hecho||Quiz show||2004||1|
|Video Loco||Viewer-submitted videos||1991–2002||12|
|Viva el Lunes||Variety show||1995–2001||7|
|Sábado Gigante||variety show||1962–2015||50|
|Alfombra Roja||Entertainment newsmagazine||2006–2013||11|
|Mi Nombre Es...||talent show||2010–2015||4|
|AR Prime||variety show||2013||1|
- (in Spanish) Official Site
- "Canal 13 details". Amarillas.com Mercantil.com chilnet.cl. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- http://www.horizonte.cl/area-comercial/[permanent dead link]
- Grupo Copesa (September 28, 2012). "Tribunal de Defensa de la Libre Competencia autoriza a Canal 13 para comprar radios Horizonte y Oasis". latercera.com.
- "Canal 13 Corporativo "Our History"". 13.cl. Archived from the original on January 15, 2013. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Catalina Pulido: "Me gusta ser cruel"". estrellavalpo.cl.