Roberto Andrés Tobar Vargas (born 13 April 1978) is a Chilean association football referee, who has been a FIFA international referee since 2011. He has officiated at the Copa Sudamericana, South American U-17 Championship, FIFA U-17 World Cup, Copa Libertadores, and the Recopa Sudamericana.
|Full name||Roberto Andrés Tobar Vargas|
|Born||13 April 1978|
|Chilean Primera División||Referee|
Aged 33, Tobar became a FIFA international referee in 2011. In 2012, the Football Federation of Chile suspended Tobar for eight months as part of the "Poker Club" corruption scandal. The scandal, led by Mario Sánchez Yantén, involved referees playing poker games, and the loser had to referee a regional football match. After the suspension, Tobar returned to officiating, and was named Chile's best referee in 2013 and 2014.
The first non-domestic match that Tobar officiated was a 2014 Copa Sudamericana match between Atlético Mineiro and Zamora. In 2015, Tobar officiated at the South American U-17 Championship and FIFA U-17 World Cup. In a 2016 Copa Libertadores match between The Strongest and São Paulo FC, Tobar was accused of promoting fighting.
In 2017, Tobar officiated the second leg of the Recopa Sudamerica between Atlético Nacional and Chapecoense. He also officiated in at the South American U-17 Championship. During a 2017 Copa Libertadores match between River Plate and C.D. Jorge Wilstermann, Tobar had to stop officiating due to a muscle injury. In the same year, he officiated the Segunda División final between Deportes Vallenar and Deportes Melipilla. After the match went to a penalty shootout, Vallenar did not turn up for the shootout, and the match was therefore awarded to Melipilla, who were promoted to Primera B as a result.
In 2018, Tobar refereed a 2018 Chilean football derby match between Colo-Colo and Club Universidad de Chile, during which he sent off Jean Beausejour, Óscar Opazo, and Lorenzo Reyes. In the same year, Tobar officiated multiple matches of the Copa Libertadores. He officiated the second leg of the quarter-final between Grêmio and Atlético Tucumán, as well as the first leg of the semi-final between Boca Juniors and Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras. He later officiated the first leg of the final between Boca Juniors and River Plate. The match was Tobar's first Libertadores final. An hour before the scheduled kickoff, Tobar had to postpone the match for a day due to a waterlogged pitch. He was also selected to officiate the second leg of the 2018 Copa Sudamericana Finals between Junior and Athletico Paranaense.
Aside from football, Tobar works as a judge.
- "Cartas, alcohol y corrupción: el pasado oscuro de Roberto Tobar, el árbitro que dirigirá en la Bombonera". Infobae (in Spanish). 10 November 2018. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- Resta, Lucia. "Superclasico Boca-River: Tobar è l'arbitro della finale di Libertadores". Fox Sports Italy (in Italian). Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Tobar, el árbitro de la final Boca-River, y la suspensión del pasado por "el Club de Póker"". Mundod Lavoz (in Spanish). 8 November 2018. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "The referee of Boca – Palmeiras: Who is Roberto Tobar?". News Beezer. 25 April 2018. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Quem é Roberto Tobar, o polêmico árbitro de Boca x Palmeiras". Goal.com.br (in Portuguese). 23 October 2018. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Roberto Tobar, el árbitro de las tarjetas que preocupa a Boca y River antes de la primera final". Toda Pacion (in Spanish). 6 November 2018. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Roberto Tobar tras polémico ascenso de Melipilla a Primera B: "Es atípico todo"". Teletrece (in Spanish). 27 December 2017. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Discusión entre Pinilla y Beausejour no fue informada por Roberto Tobar". ADN Radio Chile (in Spanish). 16 April 2018. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Conmebol oficializó árbitros para la revancha entre Palmeiras y Colo Colo". 24 Horas (in Spanish). 29 September 2018. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Roberto Tobar fue designado para la semifinal de Copa Libertadores entre Boca y Palmeiras". AlAireLibre.cl (in Spanish). 18 October 2018. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Boca-River Libertadores clash suspended after torrential rain". Buenos Aires Times. 10 November 2018. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- Martínez, Gustavo (12 December 2018). "Roberto Tobar, el árbitro de la final". BolaVIP (in Spanish). Retrieved 19 December 2018.