Kota Srinivasa Rao (born 10 July 1947) is an Indian character actor known for his work primarily in Telugu cinema and Telugu theatre. He has also starred in a few films in Tamil, Hindi, Kannada and Malayalam. As a former politician, Rao has served as the MLA from Vijayawada East in Andhra Pradesh, India from 1999 to 2004. He made his debut with the Telugu film Pranam Khareedu in 1978. He starred in over 750 feature films. He has received nine state Nandi Awards in various categories of villain, character actor, and supporting actor. In 2012, he has garnered the SIIMA Award for his work in Krishnam Vande Jagadgurum. In 2015, he received India's fourth highest civilian honour Padma Shri for his contribution to Indian cinema.
Kota Srinivasa Rao
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Awards||Padma Shri (2015)|
|Member of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly|
|Preceded by||Vangaveeti Ratnakumari|
|Succeeded by||Vangaveeti Radha Krishna|
|Residence(s)||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
He received wide critical acclaim for his diverse roles in films such as S/O Satyamurthy (2015), Attarintiki Daredi (2013), Rakta Charitra (2010), Leader (2010), Ready (2008), Pellaina Kothalo (2006), Sarkar (2006), Bommarillu (2006), Chatrapathi (2005), Athadu (2005), Aa Naluguru (2004), Malliswari (2004), Idiot (2002), Prudhvi Narayana (2002), Chinna (2000), Ganesh (1998), Anaganaga Oka Roju (1997), Little Soldiers (1996), Aame (1994), Hello Brother (1994), Teerpu (1994), Govindha Govindha (1993), Gaayam (1993), Money (1993), Sathruvu (1990), Siva (1989), Aha Naa Pellanta (1987), Pratighatana (1986), and Repati Pourulu (1986). In 2003, he made his debut in the Tamil industry with Saamy as a suave villain.
Kota Srinivasa Rao was born on 10 July 1942 in the village of Kankipadu in present-day Andhra Pradesh. His father Seetha Rama Anjaneyulu was a doctor. Srinivasa initially aimed to become a doctor but eventually couldn't make it because of his love towards acting. He started his career on stage in plays during college. He has a Bachelor of Science degree and worked as a State Bank employee before entering the film industry.
He is married to Rukmini and has three children (2 daughters and a son). He lost his son Kota Venkata Anjaneya Prasad on 20 June 2010 in a road accident in Hyderabad. Prasad acted in J. D. Chakravarthy's flick Siddham and alongside his father in Gaayam 2 (2010). His acting was critically acclaimed.
Srinivasa's younger brother Kota Sankara Rao is also an actor. He works in a nationalised bank and acts in soap operas.
- Padma Shri (2015)
- Special Jury Award – Pratighatana (1985)
- Best Villain – Gaayam (1993)
- Best Villain – Teerpu (1994)
- Best Character Actor – Little Soldiers (1996)
- Best Villain – Ganesh (1998)
- Best Villain – Chinna (2000)
- Best Supporting Actor – Prudhvi Narayana (2002)
- Best Character Actor – Aa Naluguru (2004)
- Best Character Actor – Pellaina Kothalo (2006)
- Other honours
- Allu Ramalingaiah Puraskaram
|1979||Maa Voori Devatha||Seshayya|
|1987||Aha Naa Pellanta||Lakshmipathi|
|Attagaru Zindabad||Chintapikkala Chinna Rao|
|Sri Kanaka Maalakshmi Recording Dance Troop||Yella Papa Rao|
|Sahasam Cheyara Dimbhaka||Harmonium Hanumantha Rao|
|Choopulu Kalasina Subhavela||Gurnadham|
|Khaidi No. 786||Surya Chandra Rao|
|Pavan – Subblakshmi Preminchukunnarata|
|Kaliyuga Karnudu||Panganamala King George|
|Hai Hai Nayaka||Pedda Rayudu|
|Bava Bava Panneeru|
|Ajatha Satruvu||Papaala Parandhamaiah|
|Dorikithe Dongalu||Bhairava Murthy|
|Palnati Rudraiah||Sisupala Rayudu|
|1990||Chevilo Puvvu||Manager Venkateswara Rao|
|Jayammu Nischayammu Raa!||Patel|
|Bobbili Raja||Ahobala Rao|
|Raja Vikramarka||Raja Kotappa|
|1991||Seetharamayya Gari Manavaralu||Veerabhadraiah|
|Stoovertpuram Police Station|
|Prema Entha Madhuram||Narayan Rao|
|Rowdy Alludu||Venkat Ramudu|
|Chitram Bhalare Vichitram||G. Garudachalam|
|Chitemma Mogudu||Military Babai|
|President Gari Pellam||Nadamuni|
|Jamba Lakidi Pamba||Ramalakshmi’s father|
|Ish Gup Chup|
|Akka Pettanam Chelleli Kapuram|
|Evandi Aavida Vachindi|
|1994||Govinda Govinda||Satyananda Swamy|
|Hello Brother||Tadi Mattayya|
|Alibaba Aradajanu Dongalu|
|Alluda Majaka||Kota Pentaiah|
|Gharana Bullodu||Ammaji's husband|
|Maato Pettukoku||Mayor Geedapenta Basavaiah|
|Intlo Illalu Vantintlo Priyuralu||Sriram's father|
|Aayanaki Iddaru||Mysore Jackson|
|Little Soldiers||Major Harishchandra Prasad|
|Akkada Abbai Ikkada Ammayi||Suleiman|
|Oho Naa Pellanta||Vallabha Rao|
|Anaganaga Oka Roju|
|Maa Nannaki Pelli||Subba Raju|
|1998||Aavida Maa Aavide||Murari|
|Bavagaru Bagunnara?||Pedda Basavaraju|
|Ganesh||Health Minister Samba Sivudu|
|Samarasimha Reddy||Kanthamma's brother|
|Nuvvu Vastavani||Koteswara Rao|
|Vamsi||Ankineedu's gang member|
|Cheliya Cheliya Chirukopama|
|Sakumba Saparivara Sametamga|
|Thirupathi Ezhumalai Venkatesa||Kota|
|Student No. 1||Leakage Sambashiva Rao|
|Daddy||Shanti's paternal uncle|
|Maa Avida Meda Ottu|
|Maa Aayana Sundarayya|
|Prematho Raa||Chandu's grandfather|
|Family Circus||Lance Naik Bhaghat|
|Naa Manasista Raa|
|Thank You Subba Rao|
|Idem Oorura Babu|
|Darling Darling||a girl's father|
|Avunu Valliddaru Ishtapaddaru|
|Santosham||Himsaraju / Vikram|
|Tappu Chesi Pappu Koodu||Pedda Koteswara Rao|
|Idiot||Head Constable Venkata Swamy|
|Sandade Sandadi||Lakshmi Narayana / Lucky|
|Premalo Pavani Kalyan||Sitarama Raju|
|Donga Ramudu & Party|
|Pellamto Panenti||Kalyani's father|
|Allari Pidugu||Subbalakshmi's father|
|Athidi||MLA Maccha Srinu|
|Pellaindi Kaani||Rajeshwari's brother|
|Lakshyam||Chandu & Bose's father|
|Aadavari Matalaku Ardhalu Verule||Ganesh's father|
|2008||Krishna||K. Srinivasa Rao [Advocate]|
|Visakha Express||Mohan Rao|
|Idi Sangathi||Chief Minister|
|Nee Sukhame Ne Korukunna||Sarvabhouma Rao|
|Salute||Home Minister Kondal Rao|
|Kousalya Supraja Rama||Ranga Rao|
|Hare Ram||G. Siva Reddy (Health Minister)|
|Hero||Ram Mohan Rao|
|Rajavari Chepala Cheruvu|
|Sare Nee Istam|
|Kalyan Ram Kathi||Krishna Mohan's father|
|Gaayam 2||Guru Narayana|
|Rakta Charitra||Rajidi Nagamani Reddy|
|Rakta Charitra 2|
|Kathi Kantha Rao||Ringu Raja Rao|
|Dhammu||Raja of Veera Durgam Fort|
|Nenu Naa Rakshasi||Vishwanath|
|Gabbar Singh||Bhagyalakshmi's father|
|Poola Rangadu||Ranga's father|
|Denikaina Ready||Rudrama Naidu|
|Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu||Jawahar Naidu|
|Krishnam Vande Jagadgurum||Subrahmanyam|
|2013||Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu||Brahmananda Rao|
|Attarintiki Daredi||Siddhappa Naidu|
|Prathinidhi||Chief Minister Sambasiva Rao|
|Run Raja Run||Minister Govindharaju|
|Govindudu Andarivadele||Balaraju's brother|
|S/O Satyamurthy||Devaraj's Father|
|Subramanyam for Sale||Govind's father|
|2017||Gunturodu||MLA Koteswara Rao|
|2018||Achari America Yatra||Chakrapani|
|ABCD: American Born Confused Desi||Koteswara|
|Oorantha Anukuntunnaru||Oori Pedda|
|2021||Konda Polam||Grandfather of Ravi|
|2008||Sadhu Miranda||Venkata Sabhapathy|
|Sathyam||Home Minister Kondal Dhasan|
|2013||All in All Azhagu Raja||Chokkanathan|
|2014||Malini 22 Palayamkottai||Santhanam|
|2018||Saamy 2||Ilaiya Perumal (Perumal Pichai)|
|2006||Darwaza Bandh Rakho||Veterinary Doctor Umapathi|
|2009||Ek: The Power of One|
|2010||Rakta Charitra||Rajidi Nagamani Reddy|
|2010||Rakta Charitra 2|
|2011||The Train||Yogesh Thivari|
|2012||Gabbar Singh||Mandu Babulam|
As dubbing artistEdit
|2000||Kandukondain Kandukondain||Manivannan||Telugu Version|
|2007||Sivaji: The Boss||Manivannan||Telugu Version|
- ^ "Doubts over Vijayawada(East) seat for Kota Srinivasa Rao". The Hindu. 31 January 2004. Archived from the original on 15 July 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ^ a b IANS (25 January 2015). "Actor Kota Srinivasa Rao gets Padma Shri". business-standard.com. Archived from the original on 14 April 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- ^ "Srinivasa Rao Kota". IMDb. Archived from the original on 10 January 2015. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ^ "Welcome to Superhit". Thesuperhit.com. Archived from the original on 30 December 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ^ "Allu Ramalingaiah award is special: Kota Srinivasa Rao". Filmibeat.com. Archived from the original on 25 July 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ^ "myinfoindia.com". www.myinfoindia.com. Archived from the original on 12 April 2015. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- ^ PTI. "Advani, Bachchan, Dilip Kumar get Padma Vibhushan". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 20 January 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- ^ "వెండితెరపై చెరగని 'కోట'". Eenadu (in Telugu). Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- ^ "Kota Srinivasa Rao lashes out at directors". Super Good Movies. 17 January 2012. Archived from the original on 17 January 2012.
- ^ "Telugu film 'Masti' deals with realistic subject: Film's producer Ravi K Punnam". IBNLive. Archived from the original on 27 April 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ^ "Happy Birthday Kota: వారీ.. ఏం యాక్ట్ జేసినవ్వొయ్". Sakshi (in Telugu). 10 July 2021. Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- ^ Special Correspondent. "Actor Kota's son killed in accident". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 20 January 2016. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- ^ "Kota's son killed in bike-lorry collision". Deccan Chronicle. 22 June 2010. Archived from the original on 22 June 2010.
- ^ "Padma Awards 2015". Press Information Bureau. Archived from the original on 28 January 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- ^ "నంది అవార్డు విజేతల పరంపర (1964 - 2008)" [A series of Nandi Award Winners (1964 - 2008)] (PDF) (in Telugu). Information & Public Relations of Andhra Pradesh. 13 March 2010. p. 37. Retrieved 9 January 2021.
- ^ "Allu Ramalingaiah award is special: Kota Srinivasa Rao". www.filmibeat.com. Archived from the original on 25 July 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.