Dammu[a] (lit. 'Guts') is a 2012 Indian Telugu-language action film written and directed by Boyapati Srinu. Starring Jr. NTR, Trisha and Karthika Nair, the film follows an orphan who agrees to pose as the heir to a rich and powerful family, eventually becoming embroiled in a dispute with the rival family. The film co-stars Nassar, Sampath Raj, Rahul Dev, Kishore, Suman, Brahmanandam, Ali, Bhanupriya, Kota Srinivasa Rao and Venu Thottempudi.
|Directed by||Boyapati Srinu|
|Produced by||K. S. Rama Rao|
K. A. Vallabha
|Cinematography||Arthur A. Wilson|
|Music by||M. M. Keeravani|
|Distributed by||Sri Venkateswara Film Distributors (Nizam)|
Ficus Inc. (Overseas)
This film is a remake of Malayalam movie Aaraam Thampuran. The film was released theatrically on 27 April 2012, along with a Tamil dubbed version titled Singamagan. On 15 June 2012, the film completed a 50 days run at 25 centers despite mixed reception. The film was unofficially remade in Bengali (Bangladesh) as Rajababu - The Power starring Shakib Khan, Apu Biswas and Eamin Haque Bobby.
Rama Chandra is an orphan who leads a simple life along with his friend. He falls in love with Sathya, who is a very rich girl. Sathya imposes a condition that Rama Chandra's family history and pedigree are very important. At this very moment, Rama Chandra comes to know that a rich and powerful royal Suryavanshi family is on the lookout to adopt an heir, and he seizes the chance. Once he goes there, he realizes that things are not as simple as they seem. The family has a violent past and a bitter dispute with another rich and powerful royal Chandravanshi family headed by a Chandravanshi King. He also realizes that thousands of people in the area are now dependent on him for their very survival. He also discovers that he is the real heir to the family. Rama Chandra does not like violence and tries his best to solve the problems peacefully. But the rival gang does not give him a chance. Vexed with the violence, Rama Chandra nearly kills the Chandravanshi King's eldest son and kills King's youngest son. He opens the Chandravanshi King's eyes by placing a sword on his middle son. In the climax, the Chandravanshi King realizes that he was wrong and apologizes to all. Rama Chandra becomes the hero of the village.
- Jr. NTR as Rama Chandra / Raja Vasireddy Vijayadwaja Srisimha
- Trisha as Sathya
- Karthika Nair as Neelaveni
- Nassar as Chandravanshi King
- Brahmanandam as Jaanaki
- Bhanupriya as Rama Chandra's mother
- Venu Thottempudi as Rama Chandra's brother-in-law
- Abhinaya as Rama Chandra's Elder sister
- Hari Teja as Rama Chandra's Elder sister
- Chitralekha as Rama Chandra's Elder sister
- Suman as Suryavanshi King/Raja Surya Pratap Singh
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Raja of Veera Durgam Fort
- Ahuti Prasad as Neelaveni's father
- Ali as Rama Chandra's friend
- Rahul Dev as Police Officer
- Sampath Raj as Chandravanshi King's elder son
- Kishore as Chandravanshi King's second son
- Sridhar Rao as Chandravanshi King's third son
- Tanikella Bharani as Head Priest
- Chalapathi Rao as Krishnam Raju
- Subhalekha Sudhakar as Sathya's father
- Prabhakar as Chandravanshi King's henchmen
- Snigdha as Sathya's friend
- Kolla Ashok Kumar as Rama Chandra's servant
- Chatrapathi Sekhar
- Prasad Babu
- Rahul Mahajan (uncredited)
- Maryam Zakaria as item number
Dammu has music scored by M. M. Keeravani. Shruti Hassan, who was originally signed to play the female lead, walked out citing date issues. Later the producers approached Kajal Aggarwal who also couldn't accommodate bulk dates for the film. The producers finalised Trisha as the first female lead. According to reports, Bhanupriya, Kota Srinivasa Rao, Venu Thottempudi and Subhalekha Sudhakar play supporting roles.
The Telugu and Tamil versions released on 27 April 2012. Dammu released on approximately 2550 screens worldwide which was a record in Tollywood. It released in approx of 140+ theatres in Karnataka which is considered to be a record by out of state movie.
Deccan Chronicle wrote: "Dammu (Valour), as one of the Telugu films that made high on action and low on contents". Sify wrote: "Boyapati uses the same formula of Tollywood action movies with good dialogues, high voltage fight sequences and wraps ups with interesting twist and NTR's charged up performance". Rediff wrote: "Director Boyapati Seenu's new film Dammu has an outdated and clichéd storyline, regressive content, and mindless and excessive violence".
The film completed 50 days in 70 direct centres on 15 June 2012. but it managed to sustain for a long-run as expected. Even though film had the moderate talk. and collected a share of 29 crores worldwide. The film completed 100 days on 4 August 2012.
Dammu satellite rights were sold to Zee Telugu for ₹6.6 crore (US$880,000), the highest buy-over for any film in 2012. After selling distribution rights, Dammu earned pre-release revenue up to ₹45 crore (US$6.0 million).
The VCDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs of the film were released through Bhavani Company into the market on 10 August 2012, six days after completing 100 days of the film.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||29 March 2012|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
Sony Music Entertainment
|Producer||M. M. Keeravani|
|M. M. Keeravani chronology|
The soundtrack of the film was released on 29 March 2012 at Shilpakala Vedika in Hyderabad. M. M. Keeravani's music label, Vel Records, and Sony Music Entertainment secured the film's audio rights. The lyrics for all the songs were written by Chandrabose.
|1.||"Sound of Vel" (Instrumental)||00:46|
|2.||"O Lily"||Baba Sehgal||04:30|
|3.||"Ruler (Movie Version)"||Prudhvi Chandra, Revanth, Sahiti||04:55|
|4.||"Raja Vasi Reddy"||M. M. Keeravani, Krishna Chaithanya||04:44|
|5.||"Vaastu Bagunde"||Rahul Sipligunj, Sravana Bhargavi, Shivani||04:32|
|6.||"Dhammu"||Rahul Sipligunj, Sravana Bhargavi, Shivani||04:21|
|7.||"Ruler (CD Version)"||M. M. Keeravani, Geetha Madhuri||05:44|
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Bhanupriya||Nominated|
- Alternatively spelt Dhammu
- "Dil Raju releasing Dammu & Racha ~ Telugu Cinema News Updates". Zustcinema.com. Archived from the original on 15 February 2012. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "NTR's "Dammu" Overseas by Ficus". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Dammu Movie Release Date on April 27th". Archived from the original on 11 April 2012. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "DAMMU". British Board of Film Classification.
- "NTR's Dammu completes 50 days in 25 centers". The Times of India.
- "'Dammu' shooting to resume in Sept". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- Suresh Kavirayani (18 October 2011). "Shruti Haasan walks out of Dammu". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 19 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Kajal opposite NTR in Dammu!". Sify. Archived from the original on 23 October 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "Trisha salvages career". Deccan Chronile. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Venu to play NTR's bava in Dammu". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Dhammu Shows". Super Good Films. 27 April 2012. Archived from the original on 27 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Dammu release in Karnataka may pose threat to Kannada films". CNN-IBN. 27 April 2012. Archived from the original on 2 May 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- B.V.S. Prakash (28 April 2012). "Dammu review: Jr NTR still the angry young man". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Movie Review:Dammu review". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 21 April 2014. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Review: Dammu is strictly for NTR Jr fans – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "NTR's Dammu completes 50 days in 25 centers". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 21 May 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Dammu 50 Days collections". cinetara.com. Archived from the original on 28 June 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Dammu completed 100 days". facebook.com/NTRFans. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Dammu Satellite Rights 6.6 Crores Bagged by Zee TV – Timesofap. timesofap.com
- 'Dammu' Pre-Release Business Record. Cinejosh.com (3 March 2012). Retrieved on 2015-08-22.
- "DVD's & Bluray's releasing through Bhavani DVD on 10th August". facebook.com/NTRFans. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Dhammu (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - EP". Apple Music.