IAAF Golden League
The IAAF Golden League was an annual series of track and field meetings organised by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). The 2009 Golden League was the last under the Golden League format and it was replaced by a new annual series known as the IAAF Diamond League.
The series was formed to increase the profile of the leading athletics competitions and it was part of the World Athletics Tour. Athletes (in selected events) who win their event at all six meetings take a share of a USD$ 1 million jackpot. In addition, events at Golden League meetings scored more Grand Prix points than other Grand Prix meetings.
In 2003, the 50 kg of gold bars was reverted to USD 1 million and Monaco was dropped from the league after it was awarded the IAAF World Athletics Final.
For the 2006 Golden League, the total prize pool remained at USD 1 million, but the award structure had been changed:
- Athletes who won any five of the six events would share in a purse of USD 250,000.
- The remaining USD 750,000 would be divided among athletes who won all six meetings.
In 2007, the Jackpot of USD 1 million were only to be shared amongst those athletes who won at all six meetings. In case no athlete had managed to win all six meetings, USD 500,000 would have been shared amongst those who won at five of the six meetings.
Various rules changed through the years of competition. The list of events which qualify for the jackpot was different each year, but there were usually six men's events and six (four for 2008) women's. For the year 2008, the disciplines were:
- Men: 100 m, 400 m, 1500 m, 400 m Hurdles, Long Jump, Javelin Throw.
- Women: 200 m, 800 m, 100 m Hurdles, High Jump.
For 2009, the disciplines were:
- Men: 100 m, 400 m, 3000/5000 m, 110 m Hurdles, Javelin Throw.
- Women: 100 m, 400 m, 100 m Hurdles, High Jump, Pole Vault.
- Meetings and dates for the final series in 2009:
|14 June||Internationales Stadionfest||Olympiastadion||Berlin||Germany|
|3 July||Bislett Games||Bislett Stadion||Oslo||Norway|
|10 July||Golden Gala||Stadio Olimpico||Rome||Italy|
|17 July||Meeting Areva||Stade de France||Saint-Denis||France|
|28 August||Weltklasse Zürich||Letzigrund||Zurich||Switzerland|
|4 September||Memorial van Damme||King Baudouin Stadium||Brussels||Belgium|
- "IAAF to launch global Diamond League of 1 Day Meetings". IAAF. 2009-03-02. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- Twelve years of the IAAF Golden League. IAAF (2009-09-09). Retrieved on 2009-09-09.