Gabriela Szabo (Romanian pronunciation: [ɡabriˈela ˈsabo], Hungarian: Szabó Gabriella; born 14 November 1975) is a retired Romanian runner. She competed in the 1500 m and 5000 m events at the 1996 and 2000 Olympics and won a gold, a silver and a bronze medal.
|Born||14 November 1975 (age 46)|
|Height||1.52 m (5 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||42 kg (93 lb)|
Szabo is a three-time world champion. Throughout her entire career she was coached by Zsolt Gyöngyössy, whom she eventually married. In May 2005 she retired from competitions due to exhaustion. She remains the European record holder in the 3000 m.
As of 19 August 2013 she held the honorific title of Romanian Tourism Ambassador, together with 7 other cultural and sport personalities of Romania.
1500 metres - 3:56.97 (1998)
One mile - 4:19.30 (1998)
3000 metres - 8:21.42 (2002)
5000 metres - 14:31.48 (1998)
1500 metres - 4:03.23 (1999)
One mile - 4:23.19 (2001)
2000 metres - 5:30.53 (1998)
3000 metres - 8:32.88 (2001)
5000 metres - 14:47.35 (1999)
Szabo is remembered for a collision with Ghanaian long-jumper Kofi Amoah Prah during an indoor meeting at Stuttgart in 2001. Szabo was leaving the track after her competition had finished while Amoah was running for his attempt. Szabo walked into Amoah's path and they collided heavily.
- Tóth Gödri, Iringó (6 May 2021). "Gabriela Szabo sajnálja, hogy nem tanult meg magyarul" [Gabriela Szabo regrets that she did not learn Hungarian]. kronikaonline.ro (in Hungarian). Krónika. Retrieved 9 August 2021.
ahogy a sportrajongók ismerik, Gabi Szabo[as sports fans know her, Gabi Szabo]
- Ághassi, Attila (23 November 2005). "'Bánt, hogy már nem tudok magyarul'" ['I'm sorry I can't speak Hungarian anymore']. index.hu (in Hungarian). Index. Retrieved 9 August 2021.
Nem véletlen, hogy eszembe sem volt a nevem megváltoztatása[It's no coincidence that I didn't even think of changing my name.]
- "Gabriela Szabo Biography and Olympic Results". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 13 September 2011. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- Mallows, Lucy (2008). Transylvania. Guilford, Connecticut: The Globe Pequot Press Inc. p. 106. ISBN 978-1-84162-230-9.
- Gabi Szabo: „La Chimie, toceam toate formulele. Dar şi astăzi ştiu tabelul lui Mendeleev!“. adevarul.ro (9 March 2013). Retrieved on 11 August 2014.
- Romanian Tourism Ambassadors post by DrumLiber.ro, 21 August 2013, drumliber.ro, accessed on 21 August 2013
- "Ethiopians sweep medals in 3 000m". news24.com. 4 February 2001. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- on YouTube
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gabriela Szabo.|