Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama
The Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama was first awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association as a separate category in 1951. Previously, there was a single award for "Best Actor in a Motion Picture" but the splitting allowed for recognition of it and the Best Actor – Musical or Comedy.
|Golden Globe for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama|
|Awarded for||Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Drama|
|Presented by||Hollywood Foreign Press Association|
|Currently held by||Gary Oldman for Darkest Hour (2017)|
The formal title has varied since its inception. In 2005, it was officially called: "Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama". As of 2013[update], the wording is "Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama".
- "†" indicates an Academy Award-winning performance.
- "‡" indicates an Academy Award-nominated performance that same year.
- "§" indicates a Golden Globe Award-winning performance that was not nominated for an Academy Award.
Winners and nomineesEdit
|1943||Paul Lukas †||Kurt Muller||Watch on the Rhine|
|1944||Alexander Knox ‡||Woodrow Wilson||Wilson|
|1945||Ray Milland †||Don Birnam||The Lost Weekend|
|1946||Gregory Peck ‡||Penny Baxter||The Yearling|
|1947||Ronald Colman †||Anthony John||A Double Life|
|1948||Laurence Olivier †||Hamlet, Prince of Denmark||Hamlet|
|1949||Broderick Crawford †||Willie Stark||All the King's Men|
|Richard Todd ‡||Cpl. Lachlan "Lachie" MacLachlan||The Hasty Heart|
- 3 wins
- Tom Hanks (2 consecutive)
- Jack Nicholson (2 consecutive)
- 2 wins
- Marlon Brando
- Daniel Day-Lewis
- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Dustin Hoffman
- Peter O'Toole
- Al Pacino
- Gregory Peck
- Jon Voight
- Academy Award for Best Actor
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Actor
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead
- BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role