Football at the 2020 Summer Olympics
|Dates||22 July – 8 August 2020|
|Teams||16 (men) + 12 (women) (from 6 confederations)|
|Venue(s)||7 (in 6 host cities)|
Associations affiliated with FIFA may send teams to participate in the tournament. Men's teams are restricted to under-23 players (born on or after 1 January 1997) with a maximum of three overage players allowed, while there are no age restrictions on women's teams.
|GS||Group stage||QF||Quarterfinals||SF||Semifinals||B||3rd place play-off||F||Final|
|Wed 22||Thu 23||Fri 24||Sat 25||Sun 26||Mon 27||Tue 28||Wed 29||Thu 30||Fri 31||Sat 1||Sun 2||Mon 3||Tue 4||Wed 5||Thu 6||Fri 7||Sat 8|
A total of seven venues will be used:
|Shinjuku, Tokyo||Chofu, Tokyo||Saitama, Saitama||Yokohama, Kanagawa|
|National Stadium||Tokyo Stadium||Saitama Stadium||Int. Stadium Yokohama|
|Ibaraki Kashima Stadium|
(Sendai metropolitan area)
The Organising Committee for FIFA Competitions ratified the distribution of spots at their meeting on 14 September 2017.
In addition to host nation Japan, 15 men's national teams will qualify from six separate continental confederations.
|Means of qualification||Ref.||Dates1||Venue1||Berths||Qualified|
|Host country||7 September 2013||N/A||1||Japan|
|2019 UEFA European Under-21 Championship||||16–30 June 2019|| Italy
|2019 OFC Men's Olympic Qualifying Tournament||21 September – 5 October 2019||Fiji||1||TBD|
|2019 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Championship||||20 March - 1 April 2020||Mexico||2||TBD|
|2019 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations||||8–22 November 2019||Egypt||3||TBD|
|2020 AFC U-23 Championship||||8–26 January 2020||Thailand||3||TBD|
|2020 CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament||||15 January – 2 February 2020||Colombia||2||TBD|
- ^1 Dates and venues are those of final tournaments (or final round of qualification tournaments), various qualification stages may precede matches at these specific venues.
In addition to host nation Japan, 11 women's national teams will qualify from six separate continental confederations.
For the first time, as per an agreement between the four British football associations (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales), Great Britain qualified for the Olympics through England's performance in the World Cup (a procedure already successfully employed by Team GB in field hockey and rugby sevens). Scotland also participated in the World Cup but, under the agreement whereby the highest ranked home nation is nominated to compete for the purposes of Olympic qualification, their performance was not taken into account.
|Means of qualification||Ref.||Dates2||Venue2||Berths||Qualified|
|Host country||7 September 2013||N/A||1||Japan|
|2018 Copa América||||4–22 April 2018||Chile||1||Brazil|
|2018 OFC Nations Cup||||18 November – 1 December 2018||New Caledonia||1||New Zealand|
|2019 FIFA Women's World Cup
(As UEFA qualifying)
|7 June – 7 July 2019||France||3|| Great Britain|
|2020 CAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament||||13 January – 9 February 2020||Various||1||TBD|
|2020 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Championship||February 2020||TBD||2||TBD|
|2020 AFC Olympic Qualifying Tournament||||2–11 March 2020||Various||2||TBD|
|CAF–CONMEBOL play-off||2020 (TBD)||TBD||1||TBD|
- ^2 Dates and venues are those of final tournaments (or final round of qualification tournaments), various qualification stages may precede matches at these specific venues.
- "Olympic sport football". tokyo2020.jp. 21 November 2016. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Regulations for the Olympic Football Tournaments Tokyo 2020" (PDF). FIFA.com.
- "Olympic Sports : Football". The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "OC for FIFA Competitions approves procedures for the Final Draw of the 2018 FIFA World Cup". FIFA.com. 14 September 2017.
- "Under-21 EURO 2019: all you need to know". uefa.com. 16 October 2018.
- "Concacaf Announces Details for the Preliminary Rounds of the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifiers". CONCACAF. 16 April 2019. Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- "CAF confirms 2019 Total U-23 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt will be played in November". Ghana Soccernet. 29 September 2018.
- "Competition Regulations AFC U-23 Championship 2020". AFC.
- "Colombia será sede del Campeonato Sudamericano Preolímpico Sub-23 del 2020". conmebol.com. 14 August 2018.
- "Organising Committee takes important decisions on FIFA Women's World Cup". FIFA.com. 1 October 2018.
- "Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Home nations agree to GB women's football team". BBC Sport. 1 October 2018. Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "La Copa América Femenina se celebrará del 4 al 22 de abril". CONMEBOL.com. 21 July 2017.
- "OFC Women's Nations Cup confirmed". Oceania Football Confederation. 12 March 2018.
- "Tokyo 2020: Sierra Leone disqualified, Angola withdraws". CAF. 5 March 2019.
- "Asia's elite set to vie for two Tokyo 2020 tickets". Asian Football Confederation. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 16 August 2018.