Los Cabos International Airport
Los Cabos International Airport (IATA: SJD, ICAO: MMSD) is the sixth-busiest airport in Mexico and one of the Top 30 in Latin America, located at San José del Cabo in Los Cabos Municipality, Baja California Sur state, Mexico.
Los Cabos International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional de Los Cabos
|Operator||Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico|
|Location||San José del Cabo,|
Los Cabos Municipality,
Baja California Sur state,
|Elevation AMSL||374 ft / 114 m|
Source: Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico
The airport crossed the 5-million-traffic threshold in 2018, handling 5,249,000 passengers. It has become the most important airport in the state of Baja California Sur. Because of a dramatic increase in the number of holiday resorts and due to the region's fast population growth, the infrastructure of the airport is now insufficient compared to the increasing demand, causing a lack of available positions for aircraft during peak-hours, as in many other airports in Mexico.
On September 15, 2014, Los Cabos International Airport was badly damaged by Hurricane Odile. Planes were knocked against structures due to the winds from Odile. Many people went to the airport, demanding flights out of Cabo San Lucas. The Mexican government began airlifting the first of thousands of stranded tourists, free of charge, to airports in Tijuana, Mazatlan, Guadalajara and Mexico City to catch connecting flights and, in the case of foreigners, receive consular assistance.
In November 2019, British Carrier TUI Airways, will startup routes to and from London's Gatwick Airport, thus being the very first European carrier to fly in and out of the Los Cabos area. This flight will be flown on a Boeing 787.
The architect of Los Cabos International Airport's 1997 renovation and expansion was Mexican architect and great-grandson of Queen Isabella II of Spain, Manuel De Santiago-de Borbón González Bravo. He was a member of ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites), and his lifetime architectural legacy to Mexico adds to 11,000,000 square metres (120,000,000 sq ft) built nationwide, including famous buildings and national sites, as well as important national restorations like the Mexican Houses of Congress Palace (Palacio Legislativo de San Lázaro).
The airport has two terminals. Terminal 1 operates domestic flights, and Terminal 2 operates international flights.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|1||Mexico City, Mexico City||420,532||Aeroméxico, Aeroméxico Connect, Interjet, Magni, VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|2||Jalisco, Guadalajara||187,370||Calafia Airlines, Interjet, VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|3||Baja California, Tijuana||67,062||Calafia Airlines, VivaAerobús, Volaris|
|4||Nuevo León, Monterrey||58,195||Magni, VivaAerobus|
|5||Sinaloa, Culiacán||53,723||Aero Pacífico, VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|6||México (state), Toluca||33,283||Interjet|
|8||Guanajuato, León||10,032||Calafia Airlines, Volaris|
|10||Baja California, Mexicali||33|
|1||United States, Los Angeles||330,125||Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Interjet, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines|
|2||United States, Houston (airports George Bush & Hobby)[Note 1 1]||171,199||Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, United Airlines, United Express|
|3||United States, Dallas||152,623||American Airlines, Spirit Airlines|
|4||United States, San Diego||133,041||2||Alaska Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines|
|5||United States, Phoenix–Sky Harbor||132,553||1||American Airlines|
|6||United States, San Francisco||131,561||1||Alaska Airlines, United Airlines|
|7||United States, Denver||81,503||Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines|
|8||United States, Chicago (airports O'Hare & Midway)[Note 2 1]||77,509||American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines|
|9||United States, Orange County||67,121||Alaska Airlines, Southwest Airlines|
|10||Canada, Vancouver||53,194||1||Air Canada, Sunwing Airlines, WestJet|
|11||United States, San Jose||52,418||1||Alaska Airlines, Southwest Airlines|
|12||United States, Atlanta||46,457||1||Delta Air Lines|
|13||Canada, Calgary||45,376||1||Air Canada, Sunwing Airlines, WestJet|
|14||United States, Seattle||41,017||2||Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines|
|15||United States, Oakland||40,944||Southwest Airlines|
- Official statistics include airports George Bush and Hobby.
- Official statistics include airports O'Hare and Midway.
- The Trans-Peninsular Road has become a busy commercial and accommodation center which include the nearby establishments.
- Airport Parking:
- 1 hour: $28 pesos
- Maximum pay per day, rate until the fifth day: $305 pesos
- Maximum pay per day for the next days: $96 pesos
- 1 hour: $28 pesos
- "Traffic Report". Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico. January 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Hurricane Odile: Mexico begins airlifts of tourists stranded in Los Cabos". The Guardian. September 2014. Retrieved January 21, 2017.
- "Sun Country adds Portland OR – Los Cabos service from Dec 2019". RoutesOnline. August 2019. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- "Swoop releases its 2019 Winter schedule, adds Los Cabos to its network". PR Newswire. June 25, 2019. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "TUI announces flights between London and Los Cabos" (in Spanish). EnElAire. November 2018. Retrieved November 13, 2018.
- "Volaris will connect Monterrey with Oaxaca and Los Cabos" (in Spanish). A21. March 2019. Retrieved March 13, 2019.
- "WestJet launches direct Victoria to Cabo San Lucas flights". CTV News. June 25, 2019. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Traffic Statistics by Airline" (in Spanish). Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes. January 2019. Retrieved June 3, 2019.