Grupo Aereo Monterrey S.A. de C.V., known under the commercial name Magnicharters, is an airline with its headquarters in Colonia Juárez, Cuauhtémoc, Mexico City, operating domestic holiday flights out of Mexico City International Airport.
|Operating bases||Mexico City International Airport|
Monterrey International Airport
|Company slogan||La aerolínea turística de México|
|Headquarters||Mexico City, Mexico|
The travel agency Magnitur was created in 1984. Magnicharters was established in 1994 by the Bojórquez family to fly the clients of Magnitur. It started operations in January 1995. Focusing on the domestic tourism market, it mainly serves the major beach resorts of the country.
Magnicharters was the first Mexican commercial airline to hire a woman pilot.
In 2000, Magnicharters was allowed to offer commercial flights (only charters and cargo flights before).
In 2014, Magnicharters invested $2.5 millions to develop its fleet by 30%. That year, the airline started flights to the United States, from Monterrey to Las Vegas and Orlando.
In July 2017, to celebrate the 25 year-anniversary of the Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide, Magnicharters presented 2 planes painted with the masks of Dr. Wagner Jr. and Psycho Clown. In December 2018, the airline announced that Paquita la del Barrio became the new face painted on the planes of the company.
As of 2018, the following domestic destinations are served on a scheduled basis:
Additionally, Magnicharters offers a wide range of charter flights.
The Magnicharters fleet consists of the following aircraft (as of April 2019):
|Aircraft||In Service||On Order||Passengers||Notes|
|Boeing 737-300||—||Two with winglets|
The Magnicharters fleet previously included the following aircraft:
- Boeing 737-100
- Boeing 737-200
- Boeing 727
Accidents and incidentsEdit
- On 14 September 2007 at 19:29 local time, the landing gear of a Magnicharters Boeing 737-200 (registered XA-MAC) collapsed upon landing at Guadalajara International Airport. The aircraft with 103 passengers and 6 crew members had been on Flight 582 from Cancún. Following the crash, an engine fire broke out, but the aircraft was evacuated in time, so that there were no fatalities.
- On 27 April 2009 at approximately at 18:00 local time another undercarriage failure occurred with a Magnicharters Boeing 737-200 (registered XA-MAF) operating a flight from Cancún to Guadalajara, this time as Flight 585. Upon approaching Guadalajara International Airport, the landing gear could not be fully lowered, so the pilots had to perform a belly landing. There were no serious injuries among the 108 passengers and 8 crew on board.
- In December 2014, a pilot of the airline was laid off for letting the singer Esmeralda Ugalde sit in the pilot's seat and take possession of the plane's control during a commercial flight. The singer had taken photos and posted them on Twitter.
- In December 2014, the PROFECO suspended the commercial activity of Magnicharters because the company did not release its prices to the public.
- On 26 November 2015 another landing gear problem on a Boeing 737-300 occurred and caused the left main leg to fail and sway the aircraft, but without any injuries. A photo labelled "MEXICO AIRPORT FIRE DEPT" shows the left main gear leg displaced to the rear, with a broken wing root fairing. This points out not to a folded LG, but a structural failure.
- "Magnicharters Air Operators Certificate". Av-info.faa.gov. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "31 anos volando". El Universal (in Spanish). 7 September 2015. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Juan A. José (18 April 2018). "Magnicherters, en media de una compleja encrucijada". T21 (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Information about Magnicharters at airlineupdate.com
- Sara Cantera (28 May 2018). "Vuelan líneas del país con aviones Antiguos". El Universal (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Magnicharters: Negocio todo incluido". Milenio (in Spanish). 1 September 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Fernando Galvan (12 July 2017). "El caso de marketing estacional entre Magnicharters y la Lucha Libre". Merca 2.0 (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Roberto Armendariz (22 June 2017). "Avión de Magnicharters luce cromática del luchador Dr. Wagner Jr". Transponder 1200 (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "'Paquita la del Barrio' será la nueva imagen en los aviones de Magnicharters". Transponder 1200 (in Spanish). 28 December 2018. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Regios are invited to vacation to Punta Cana" (in Spanish). El Horizonte. February 2017. Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- "Magnicharters fleet details". Airfleets.net. Retrieved April 1, 2018.
- Magnicharters Flight 582 at the Aviation safety Network
- Flight 585 at the Aviation Safety Network
- "Mexican pilot sacked for letting singer Esmeralda Ugalde fly plane". Telegraph. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Profeco suspende la actividad de Magnicharters en el Aeropuerto de la Ciudad de México". 20 Minutos (in Spanish). 23 December 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Official website (in Spanish)