How Do You Live? (film)
How Do You Live? (Japanese: 君たちはどう生きるか, Hepburn: Kimi-tachi wa Dō Ikiru ka) is an upcoming Japanese animated film directed by Hayao Miyazaki and animated by Studio Ghibli. The film is named after the 1937 novel of the same name written by Yoshino Genzaburo.
|How Do You Live?|
|Hepburn||Kimi-tachi wa Dō Ikiru ka|
|Directed by||Hayao Miyazaki|
|Produced by||Toshio Suzuki|
|Based on||How Do You Live?|
by Yoshino Genzaburo
The film centers around how a particular book, entitled How Do You Live?, features prominently in the protagonist's life.
Miyazaki commenced animation work in July 2016, later confirmed by studio executive Toshio Suzuki. With Miyazaki coming out of retirement, Studio Ghibli re-opened with many of the past collaborators working on the project. Numerous contracts for three-year terms were issued.
In October 2017, Studio Ghibli announced the film will be titled How Do You Live?
Toshio Suzuki said that Miyazaki is working on the film for his grandson as his way of saying "Grandpa is moving onto the next world soon but he is leaving this film behind because he loves you".
Suzuki said in August 2018 the projections were for 2021 or 2022 completion. In a late 2019 interview with NHK, Miyazaki stated that the film is not to be expected anytime soon; he said that in his younger age he used to produce 10 minutes of animation every month, but now his speed is reduced to 1 minute per month. As of October 2019, the film was confirmed to be 15% complete. In May 2020, Suzuki told Entertainment Weekly that 60 animators were working on the film; 36 minutes of the film had been completed after three years of production. Suzuki said "we are still hand-drawing everything, but it takes us more time to complete a film because we're drawing more frames" and they are "hoping it will finish in the next three years."
- "Hayao Miyazaki's Final Film Title is How Do You Live?". The Outerhaven. 2017-10-28. Archived from the original on 2018-02-21. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki Reveals His 'Final' Film's Title, Release Window". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 2018-02-24. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- "Studio Ghibli reopens for Hayao Miyazaki's new film". Engadget. Archived from the original on 2017-12-14. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Details Revealed on Hayao Miyazaki's New Anime Film HOW DO YOU LIVE?". GeekTyrant. Archived from the original on 2018-02-13. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Hayao Miyazaki's Next Film Is 15% Complete After 3.5 Years". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2020-01-02.
- "Studio Ghibli co-founder teases Hayao Miyazaki's next 'big, fantastical' film". Entertainment Weekly. May 13, 2020. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
|This anime-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|