Wikipedia:Village pump (WMF)
- Discussions of proposals which do not require significant foundation attention or involvement belong at Village pump (proposals)
- Discussions of bugs and routine technical issues belong at Village pump (technical).
- Consider developing new ideas at the Village pump (idea lab).
- This page is not a place to appeal decisions about article content, which the WMF does not control (except in very rare cases); see Dispute resolution for that.
- Issues that do not require project-wide attention should often be handled through Wikipedia:Contact us instead of here.
- This board is not the place to report emergencies; go to Wikipedia:Emergency for that.
Threads may be automatically archived after 14 days of inactivity.
Discussion at Wikipedia:Village pump (miscellaneous) § Upcoming WMF fundraising campaign in IndiaEdit
You are invited to join the discussion at Wikipedia:Village pump (miscellaneous) § Upcoming WMF fundraising campaign in India. –Novem Linguae (talk) 21:56, 4 April 2023 (UTC)
Vector 2022 zoom meetingEdit
Sounds like they'll be hosting a Vector 2022 zoom meeting. From this diff:
We would like to propose a session with Selena, our CPTO, and some of our staff to talk together about how the Vector process has gone, hear thoughts from the community on the current plan, and plan the future of software decision-making together. We can also take some time to go over our current prototype and other plans for improvements to the skin in the future. This session will take place on Thursday, April 13th at 18:30 UTC on Zoom (click here to join / dial by your location). We look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments. Thank you! OVasileva (WMF) (talk) 21:45, 6 April 2023 (UTC)
–Novem Linguae (talk) 20:49, 7 April 2023 (UTC)
See meta:Talk:Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan/2023-2024/Draft/Product & Technology § The draft Objectives and Key Results are now published ~ 🦝 Shushugah (he/him • talk) 14:34, 12 April 2023 (UTC)
- Here's a more direct link. meta:Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan/2023-2024/Draft/Product & Technology/OKRs. Happy reading. –Novem Linguae (talk) 14:38, 12 April 2023 (UTC)
- You both beat me to it! :-) If you've other places you'd recommend I notify, please ping me. LWyatt (WMF) (talk) 15:30, 12 April 2023 (UTC)
Discussion at meta:Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan/2023-2024Edit
You are invited to join the discussion at meta:Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan/2023-2024. –Novem Linguae (talk) 04:50, 19 April 2023 (UTC)
Discussion at Wikipedia:Village pump (miscellaneous) § Elections Committee: Call for New MembersEdit
You are invited to join the discussion at Wikipedia:Village pump (miscellaneous) § Elections Committee: Call for New Members. –Novem Linguae (talk) 10:52, 20 April 2023 (UTC)
Climate coverage in the main page of Wikipedia, including a feature about environmental footprint/record of WikimediaEdit
Even though climate change is considered as the biggest threat I do not see much about it in the main page of Wikipedia. Some news outlets not so much neutral, silence it from their reasons, but I do not think Wikipedia should follow them. The main page of Wikipedia has around 125 millions pageviews per month so it can be compared to BBC or CNN, it is important.
I will try to submit news at least those who are in the consensus, in the category "in the news" but I think it will be a little bit difficult to express the importance of the issue with this, because:
- I admit that even though it is considered as the biggest threat it will look strange if for example, 80% of news will be about it as in all other news outlets the situation is different.
- It is not so much "newsy" event: the weather is getting worse today, it got worse yesterday and will probably get worse tomorrow.
- It is hard to find an event in the news completely unrelated to climate change but it is not always easy to explain the links.
So I has 2 ideas:
Almost all large companies in the world have something about their environmental footprint on their site. Including digital like Youtube. The fossil fuel company ExxonMobil has it in the top of its main page. Bayer also. So why not Wikipedia? It will be honorable for Wikipedia and for Wikimedia Foundation if it will put a feature about it in the main page, with link to a page with detailes.
" Wikipedia is part of Wikimedia Foundation. Wikimedia foundation is caring about Sustainability and stopping climate change. It trying to lower its environmental impacts.. for this it is doing... The total emissions on 2022 were 2,955 metric ton of Co2... while during this year environmental pages in Wikipedia only included in WikiProject Climate Change has 346 millions views... for more information look here"
The link that I put is to a special page about environmental footprint of Wikimedia. It includes the report of 2022 from where I take the numbers.
In the Main page of Wikipedia at the bottom of the cathegory "In the news" there is a category "ongoing events". I think we should enter below this line another line:
" Permanently ongoing event: Climate change".
It is really a permanently ongoing event. From one side it is not always has "breaking news", but from other side while other issues loom and then dissapear, it is constantly present. And it is enough important if only the pages in Wikiproject climate change have 346,000,000 pageviews per year, and climate change exist sometimes in the list of 25 most viewed articles (for example one month ago).
What do you think about it?
--Alexander Sauda/אלכסנדר סעודה (talk) 13:53, 16 May 2023 (UTC)
- While I absolutely agree with your sentiment, it is simply not appropriate for Wikipedia to be pushing any one point of view, especially on the main page. It is appropriate for WMF to be thinking about climate change. Their servers consume power. They fly employees around the world for meetings. These activities have impact on the world's climate. But WMF is not enwiki. This project is an encyclopedia which steers clear of endorsing or supporting any political or social issues. -- RoySmith (talk) 14:15, 16 May 2023 (UTC)
- Where have we come as a society where supporting sustainability plus preventing imminent and catastrophic climate change is something that is considered "political"? ⛵ WaltClipper -(talk) 14:38, 24 May 2023 (UTC)
- The user page, talk page, and edit history of this account bring me pause. This account looks like an WP:SPA for environmental WP:ADVOCACY that's not sufficiently fluent in English. Thebiguglyalien (talk) 22:58, 16 May 2023 (UTC)
- See m:Sustainability Initiative. Frostly (talk) 04:24, 24 May 2023 (UTC)