|This template was nominated for deletion or considered for merging. Please review the prior discussions if you are considering re-nomination:
- Merge with Template:Infobox Native American leader: Keep, 2020 March 19, see discussion.
- Merge with Template:Infobox adult biography: Redirect, 13 September 2017, see discussion.
- Merge with Template:Infobox fashion designer: Merge, 31 August 2017, see discussion.
- Merge with Template:Infobox artist: Speedy keep, 14 June 2014, see discussion.
- Merge with Template:Infobox journalist: Redirect, 22 February 2012, see discussion.
- Merge with Template:Infobox actor: Merge, 20 August 2010, see discussion.
| This template is of interest to the following WikiProjects:
|WikiProject Infoboxes, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Infoboxes on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.This template is within the scope of |
- For pending merger proposals (2009 to date) see Template talk:Infobox person/Mergers
Place of residenceEdit
I've noticed for a long time (just never brought it up) that this infobox doesn't have the parameter to add a person's place of residence. For instance, Brent Butt lives in Vancouver, British Columbia. It would be good to be able to put that in the infobox. Mr. C.C.Hey yo!I didn't do it! 07:38, 29 March 2020 (UTC)
- Please see Template talk:Infobox person/Archive 34#Residence parameter. MarnetteD|Talk 08:20, 29 March 2020 (UTC)
- @MarnetteD: If I'm understanding correctly, a consensus was never reached thus this parameter was never added. The discussion was hard to follow, but I got the vibe that some people didn't understand that the point of this parameter is to put where they currently reside. Mr. C.C.Hey yo!I didn't do it! 16:38, 31 March 2020 (UTC)
- No. There was overwhelming consensus to remove
|residence=. Read the consensus summary at the top of that discussion. It reads
There is consensus to remove the residence parameter. (typo fixed and formatting modified slightly). – Jonesey95 (talk) 16:41, 31 March 2020 (UTC)
- Jonesey95 is correct Fishhead2100. The field was part of the infobox for several years. It no longer is. MarnetteD|Talk 17:49, 31 March 2020 (UTC)
- @Jonesey95: I misread that consensus. It should have been left apart of it. But such as it is. Mr. C.C.Hey yo!I didn't do it! 04:41, 1 April 2020 (UTC)
- I would support adding a parameter like that.Dormsrubi (talk) 06:20, 9 April 2020 (UTC)
- I suspect you'd need to open an WP:RFC if you have a significant interest in establishing a new consensus. DonIago (talk) 19:58, 9 April 2020 (UTC)
Curious as to why the weight parameters are depreciated and height is not. One article I've been doing edits to, they have done modeling, so I was adding those things to the infobox. Makes no sense that height parameters are fine but not weight. Mr. C.C.Hey yo!I didn't do it! 05:34, 12 April 2020 (UTC)
- I did not see any discussion about this but searching the archive found November 2019. The height of an adult is reasonably fixed but the weight often varies week-by-week. I have seen attempts to "fix" the weight of an athlete by changing it a small amount and that always strikes me as pointless. Johnuniq (talk) 07:41, 12 April 2020 (UTC)
Discussion Opened At WP:VPPEdit
Just to let editors in here know that a discussion has been opened on WP:VPP in regards to net worth and death - RichT|C|E-Mail 22:30, 16 May 2020 (UTC)
- Rich_Smith It looks unlikely that you will get support to remove "net worth". Therefore, please stop removing it from infoboxes, and restore it to any where you have taken it out. Edwardx (talk) 11:21, 17 May 2020 (UTC)
- @Edwardx: I've replied to you on WP:VPP, no point in repeating it here - - RichT|C|E-Mail 13:19, 17 May 2020 (UTC)
Proposal: Repurpose and redocument the home_town parameterEdit
|home_town= is presently documented as: "The place where the person was raised and matured, if different from birthplace." Yet this is pointless trivia in most cases, and the pointlessness of it is why we removed the
|residence= parameter. I think we can solve all the related problems at once (i.e. this usually being trivia, while where someone lives now often is not trivia, nor is where they mostly resided during their period of notability) by redefining this parameter as: "If different from both birth place and death place, the place or places where the person lived long-term during their period of notability." That will a) get us a useful parameter that will resolve recurrent complaints about nowhere to put non-trivial residence; b) forestall including pointless childhood details in the infobox; and c) forestall recycling death place as well as birth place in multiple parameters. Besides, people have already been using the parameter this way, anyhow. The documentation should match practice and editorial needs, not try to dictate them. — SMcCandlish ☏ ¢ 😼 21:07, 19 May 2020 (UTC)
- Seems reasonable to me. I found 22,243 instances of
|home_town= with non-blank values (
hastemplate:"infobox person" insource:/| *home_town *= *[^|]/) and 108 instances of
|home town= (
hastemplate:"infobox person" insource:/| *home town *= *[^|]/) with non-blank values. Would we have to check them beforehand or just let the wiki-gnomes work through them if the guidance changes? --RexxS (talk) 21:27, 19 May 2020 (UTC)
- There is certainly no need to remove the parameter from all instances which have it; we can just remove the use of this parameter from the template. If we want fo do it selectively, we need an organized list where users who help can mark which entries should keep the parameter. 18.104.22.168 (talk) 05:31, 22 May 2020 (UTC)