Pluto TV is an Internet-based TV platform owned by Viacom. The company was founded in 2013 and is based in Los Angeles, California. Pluto TV runs as an app on 14 platforms, including Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, and PlayStation consoles. Live and on-demand Pluto TV content is also available via their website. The company currently has more than 75 content partners, over 100 free channels, and reaches over 15 million monthly active users. Pluto TV generates revenue from video advertisements between programming, with plans to remain a free television provider. Pluto TV licenses its content directly from providers.
|Founders||Tom Ryan |
In July 2015, Pluto TV signed a deal with Hulu to distribute Hulu's free video content. In October 2015, they added 20 additional channels, bringing the total number of additional channels to above 100. On May 15, 2016, Pluto TV signed a deal with Sony to launch the Pluto TV app on the PlayStation Store for the Sony PlayStation 3 and Sony PlayStation 4.
In 2016, the company raised $30 million in Series B venture capital funding, valuing the company at $140 million. The round was led by German TV station ProSieben, with additional funding from telecommunications company Sky UK. Pluto Inc. added a chief programming officer role in April, 2017.
In 2017, Pluto TV added a large library of on-demand movies and television shows. Pluto's library is licensed from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Viacom, DHX Media, Nelvana, FremantleMedia, Monstercat, and King Features Syndicate, among other studios. Variety reported that as of May 2017[update], the service was averaging 6 million users per month, and was rated one of the most-watched apps on Roku, as of October 2017[update]. A channel dedicated to movies from The Asylum was added in June 2017. On October 17, 2017, Impact Wrestling announced they are launching the Impact Wrestling Channel on Pluto TV.
As of February 2018[update], Pluto had over 100 channels. Most of the channels are only available online, packaging content Pluto has acquired through various syndication deals; channels whose traditionally televised feeds are carried directly on Pluto include NASA TV, WeatherNation TV, Buzzr, Newsmax TV, Bloomberg Television, RT and Stadium.
In August 2018, Vizio announced a new streaming experience called WatchFree, built into several models of its lineup of Internet-connected smart TVs. This service is powered by Pluto TV, and Vizio advertised "an easy-to-navigate, cable-like interface" in the announcement.
In April 2019, Pluto TV signed a distribution deal with BBC Studios to air episodes of Doctor Who and Antiques Roadshow. The same month, Pluto TV announced a channel that features content from CNN. In April 2019, Pluto TV confirmed that it would add new content from CONtv to its library.
On May 13, 2019, Pluto TV launched a channel dedicated to Major League Soccer. On May 14, 2019, Pluto TV launched a channel dedicated to the series Midsomer Murders. On May 20, 2019, The Young Turks Network was added to Pluto TV. On May 29, 2019, Pluto TV launched on the Fire TV in the UK, Germany and Austria.
On June 11, 2019, Pluto TV launched the channels dedicated to Doctor Who classic and the U.K. version of Antiques Roadshow. On June 13, 2019, Pluto TV launched a free streaming network on Comcast's Xfinity X1 cable boxes.
Purchase by ViacomEdit
Viacom's plans for Pluto TV include more licensed content from Viacom, expansion into Latin America, availability on smart TV's, and paid subscriptions. On March 18, 2019, Viacom announced plans to launch Pluto TV worldwide.
On May 1, 2019, Viacom introduced free versions of several its cable outlets on Pluto TV, including content from Paramount Pictures, BET, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon (including Nick Jr. and NickRewind content), and MTV; among those channels is a revival of Spike, which had previously folded a year prior. The free channels do not match the feeds received by cable and satellite subscribers; the online versions focus primarily on archival content and series that Pluto TV has acquired from other providers.
- "Hey Cord-Cutters: Pluto.TV Launches With 85 Channels Of Free, TV-Style Internet Video". Forbes. March 31, 2014. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Pluto Inc. "Pluto TV - Android Apps on Google Play". google.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Pluto, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". bloomberg.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Free streaming TV service Pluto TV raises $8.3M, in new round led by Samsung – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Perez, Sarah. "Pluto TV, a free streaming service for cord cutters, raises $30 million more". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Pluto aims to bring TV to the Internet". Yahoo Finance. 17 February 2016. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Ong, Josh (2014-05-15). "Web TV Service Pluto.TV Adds a DVR Feature". The Next Web. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- "Hulu inks distribution deal with Pluto TV". CED. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Pluto TV Adds 20 New Channels Including IGN, The Onion, AwesomenessTV, Newsy, And The Young Turks". Android Police. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Spangler, Todd (2017-04-04). "Pluto TV Taps Former E! Exec Robert Magdlen as Chief Programming Officer". Variety. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Streaming TV service Pluto TV adds an on-demand video library". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Spangler, Todd (2017-05-16). "Pluto TV, Angling to Become the Spotify of Premium Video, Launches Free On-Demand Service (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Roku. "Roku". Roku. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "The Asylum Opens on Pluto TV - Dread Central". www.dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Herald, SANTOS A. PEREZ Special to the Miami. "Global Wrestling Network launches free on Pluto TV". Miami Herald. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- "The Cord Cutters Guide to Pluto TV (A FREE Streaming Service) - Cord Cutters News". Cord Cutters News. 2018-02-24. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Roettgers, Janko; Roettgers, Janko (2018-08-01). "Vizio Integrates Pluto TV With New Ad-Supported WatchFree Service". Variety. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- "Pluto TV makes European debut on Now TV in the UK". Digital TV Europe. October 2, 2018.
- "Pluto TV launches in Germany and Austria". Broadband TV News. December 3, 2018.
- Spangler, Todd (2019-04-08). "Viacom's Pluto TV Inks BBC Studios Deal for 700 Hours of Content, Including Classic 'Doctor Who' Episodes (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2019-04-09.
- "Pluto TV Launches Channel Featuring CNN Content". Broadcasting & Cable. April 23, 2019. Retrieved April 30, 2019.
- Bouma, Luke (16 April 2019). "Pluto TV Adds CONtv". Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-05-13). "Pluto TV Is Launching a Major League Soccer Channel". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-05-14). "Pluto TV Launches a New Channel Dedicated to The Hit British Show 'Midsomer Murders'". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- Frankel, Daniel. "Pluto TV Adds The Young Turks Network". Multichannel. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-05-29). "Pluto TV Launches On The Fire TV in UK, Germany & Austria". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- Spangler, Todd; Spangler, Todd (2019-06-11). "Pluto TV Launches Free Channels for 'Doctor Who' Classic, BBC's 'Antiques Roadshow'". Variety. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- Blumenthal, Eli. "Pluto TV brings free streaming network to Comcast's Xfinity X1 cable boxes". CNET. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Viacom Acquires Free Streaming Platform Pluto TV for $340 Million". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- "Viacom Announces Completion of Pluto TV Acquisition". www.businesswire.com. 2019-03-04. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Viacom eyes distributor partnerships for Pluto TV | FierceVideo". www.fiercevideo.com.
- "Pluto TV will expand its free service with paid subscriptions, says new owner Viacom".
- White, Peter (2019-03-18). "Viacom To Roll Out Ad-Supported Service Pluto TV Worldwide As It Warns Global SVOD Market Is "Too Crowded"". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-04-09.
- Spangler, Todd; Spangler, Todd (2019-04-29). "Viacom Launching 14 Free Channels on Pluto TV, Sets Broad Digital Originals Slate". Variety. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Peterson, Tim (16 April 2019). "Viacom will debut 15 channels on Pluto TV to bolster its upfront pitch". Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- "Watch on your favorite devices". Pluto TV. June 10, 2019. Archived from the original on June 10, 2019.