Pluto TV is an Internet-based TV platform owned by Viacom. The company was founded in 2013 and is based in Los Angeles, California. Pluto TV runs as an app on 14 platforms, including Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, and PlayStation consoles. The company currently has more than 75 content partners, over 100 free channels, and reaches over 12 million monthly active users. Pluto TV generates revenue from video advertisements between programming, with plans to remain a free television provider. Pluto TV licenses its content directly from providers.
In July 2015, Pluto TV signed a deal with Hulu to distribute Hulu's free video content. In October 2015, they added 20 additional channels, bringing the total number of additional channels to above 100. On May 15, 2016, Pluto TV signed a deal with Sony to launch the Pluto TV app on the PlayStation Store for the Sony PlayStation 3 and Sony PlayStation 4.
In 2016, the company raised $30 million in Series B venture capital funding, valuing the company at $140 million. The round was led by German TV station ProSieben, with additional funding from telecommunications company Sky UK. Pluto Inc. added a chief programming officer role in April, 2017.
In 2017, Pluto TV added a large library of on-demand movies and television shows. Variety reported that as of May 2017[update], the service was averaging 6 million users per month, and was rated one of the most-watched apps on Roku, as of October 2017[update]. A channel dedicated to movies from The Asylum was added in June 2017.
As of February 2018[update], Pluto had over 100 channels. Most of the channels are only available online, packaging content Pluto has acquired through various syndication deals; channels whose traditionally televised feeds are carried directly on Pluto include NASA TV, WeatherNation TV, Buzzr, Newsmax TV, Bloomberg Television, RT and Stadium.
In August 2018, Vizio announced a new streaming experience called WatchFree, built into several models of its lineup of Internet-connected smart TVs. This service is powered by Pluto TV, and Vizio advertised "an easy-to-navigate, cable-like interface" in the announcement.
On March 18, 2019, Viacom expected plans to launch Pluto TV worldwide.
- "Hey Cord-Cutters: Pluto.TV Launches With 85 Channels Of Free, TV-Style Internet Video". Forbes. March 31, 2014. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Pluto Inc. "Pluto TV - Android Apps on Google Play". google.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Pluto, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". bloomberg.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Partner - Pluto.tv". Pluto.tv. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "About Us". Pluto TV. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- "Free streaming TV service Pluto TV raises $8.3M, in new round led by Samsung – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Perez, Sarah. "Pluto TV, a free streaming service for cord cutters, raises $30 million more". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Pluto aims to bring TV to the Internet". Yahoo Finance. 17 February 2016. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Hulu inks distribution deal with Pluto TV". CED. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Pluto TV Adds 20 New Channels Including IGN, The Onion, AwesomenessTV, Newsy, And The Young Turks". Android Police. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Spangler, Todd (2017-04-04). "Pluto TV Taps Former E! Exec Robert Magdlen as Chief Programming Officer". Variety. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Streaming TV service Pluto TV adds an on-demand video library – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Spangler, Todd (2017-05-16). "Pluto TV, Angling to Become the Spotify of Premium Video, Launches Free On-Demand Service (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Roku. "Roku". Roku. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "The Asylum Opens on Pluto TV - Dread Central". www.dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "The Cord Cutters Guide to Pluto TV (A FREE Streaming Service) - Cord Cutters News". Cord Cutters News. 2018-02-24. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Roettgers, Janko; Roettgers, Janko (2018-08-01). "Vizio Integrates Pluto TV With New Ad-Supported WatchFree Service". Variety. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- "Pluto TV makes European debut on Now TV in the UK". Digital TV Europe. October 2, 2018.
- "Pluto TV launches in Germany and Austria". Broadband TV News. December 3, 2018.
- "Viacom Acquires Free Streaming Platform Pluto TV for $340 Million". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- "Viacom Announces Completion of Pluto TV Acquisition". www.businesswire.com. 2019-03-04. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Viacom eyes distributor partnerships for Pluto TV | FierceVideo". www.fiercevideo.com.
- "Pluto TV will expand its free service with paid subscriptions, says new owner Viacom".