Endemol Shine Group
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Endemol Shine Group B.V. is a Dutch-British production and distribution company of scripted and non-scripted content, responsible for programmes such as The Voice, Big Brother, MasterChef, Your Face Sounds Familiar, Peaky Blinders, Black Mirror, Humans, Grantchester and Tin Star.
|Founded||1 January 2015|
|Sophie Turner Laing (CEO)|
Number of employees
In 2018, Endemol Shine Group had 700 productions on air across 270 platforms and channels. K7 Media report's Tracking the Giants: Top 100 Travelling TV Formats 2018-19 also recognized Endemol Shine Group as the production and distribution company with the most travelled formats in 2018.
Formed in 2015 through a merger of Dutch television studio Endemol and Elisabeth Murdoch's UK-based studio Shine Group, Endemol Shine Group companies include Dragonfly, Kudos, and Princess Productions. It also includes: Shine TV which was founded in 2001 by Elisabeth Murdoch; and Metronome Film & Television, a Scandinavian-based production group. EndemolShine International is the group's international distribution arm and is responsible for the distribution of the various formats of the group. The group has also established international companies Endemol Shine North America, Endemol Shine Australia, Endemol Shine India, Endemol Shine Germany, Endemol Shine France, and Endemol Shine Iberia. Since March 20, 2019, it is jointly owned by Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International, a business segment within The Walt Disney Company (formerly held by 21st Century Fox) and Apollo Global Management, with each holding a 50% share.
Merger of Endemol and Shine Group in 2014Edit
In May 2014, Apollo and 21st Century Fox announced a joint venture to combine 21st Century Fox's Shine Group and Apollo's Endemol and CORE Media Group. The transaction was completed on December 17, 2014. Both Apollo and 21st Century Fox (to be acquired by latter) owning 50% of the joint venture called, "Endemol Shine Group" that took place on January 1, 2015.
Endemol specialised in formatted programming that can be adapted for different countries around the world as well as different media platforms. One notable success has been the Big Brother reality television show, with versions in many countries after the initial Dutch version. Other examples include Deal or No Deal (sold to over 75 countries), The Money Drop (sold in over 50 countries), Fear Factor (sold in 30 countries) and Wipeout (sold in over 35 countries). In recent years the company has also been expanding its English language drama output with shows such as titles such as The Fall, Peaky Blinders, Ripper Street and Black Mirror in the UK and Hell on Wheels in the USA. In November 2013 the company launched Endemol Beyond, an international division specialising in original content for digital video platforms such as YouTube.
Shine Limited was founded in March 2001 by Elisabeth Murdoch, daughter of News Corporation CEO Rupert Murdoch. The company was 80% owned by Elisabeth Murdoch, 15% by Lord Alli, and 5% by BSkyB, who signed a deal guaranteeing to buy an agreed amount of Shine programming for two years.
In 2006 Shine acquired Kudos Film and Television, Princess Productions and Dragonfly Film and Television Productionsto create the Shine Group, although they still operate as four separate entities.
Shine acquired Reveille Productions in 2008. News Corporation (later 21st Century Fox, but assets are now split between The Walt Disney Company and Fox Corporation) acquired Shine Group in April 2011 for $415 million. US pension funds who are shareholders in News Corporation are suing the company accusing Murdoch of nepotism.
Aborted sale in 2018Edit
In April 2018, Fox and Apollo appointed Deutsche Bank and Aryeh Bourkoff's Liontree to handle a potential sale of Endemol Shine, following Fox's sale to The Walt Disney Company. William Morris Endeavor and Banijay Group had eyed an acquisition of Endemol Shine, with Banijay reported to have even entered advanced talks to buy the studio.
On August 29, 2018, the RTL Group (which owns Fremantle) withdrew its bid for Endemol Shine. In September 2018, BBC Studios, along with Discovery, Inc. and Liberty Global (which each own 50% of All3Media) announced that they would not bid on the studio. ITV plc provisionally placed a bid on the studio but did not confirm an official bid as the sale is still only a potential scenario at this point. In October 2018, ITV plc withdrew from the auction. Sony Pictures Entertainment, DHX Media and Lionsgate also ruled out of the bidding. ProSiebenSat.1 Media (which owns Red Arrow Studios) was reported to be considered for a joint bid with Banijay, but the latter ruled itself out as well.
Endemol Shine later made a statement that they had been in negotiations with several parties and were confident they would have an owner by end of November 2018. However, on November 6, 2018 it was reported that both Fox and Apollo have decided to suspend the selling process as a deal could not be reached by prospective buyers. In the meantime, Fox's 50% stake in the company will be given to Disney. The report was published hours before European Commission's clearance of Disney's impending purchase of Fox on certain conditions.
Endemol Shine InternationalEdit
Endemol Shine International is the sales and distribution branch of the group. It handles the licensing and international distribution of television formats from Endemol Shine to around 150 countries worldwide
- Endemol Shine North America
- Endemol Shine Latino
- Endemol Shine Studios
- Endemol Shine Boomdog
- 51 Minds
- Authentic Entertainment
- Truly Original
- Endemol Shine UK
- Artists Studio
- Bandit Television
- Cave Bear Productions
- Douglas Road Productions Limited
- Dragonfly Film and Television Productions
- Electric Robin
- Endemol Shine Gaming
- Fifty Fathoms
- FlipSide Talent
- House of Tomorrow
- Shine Pictures
- Lovely Day
- OP Talent
- Princess Productions
- Remarkable Television
- Sidney Street
- Sharp Jack TV
- Shine TV (UK)
- Shiny Button Productions
- Silent Boom
- Simon's Cat Ltd.
- Tiger Aspect Productions
- Tigress Productions
- Wild Mercury Productions
- B&B Endemol Shine (Switzerland)
- Endemol Shine Asia
- Endemol Shine Australia
- EndemolShine Banks (joint venture with Imogen Banks)
- Endemol Shine Belgium
- Endemol Shine Boomdog
- Endemol Shine Brasil
- Endemol Shine China
- Endemol Shine France
- Endemol Shine Germany
- Florida TV
- META Productions
- Wiedemann & Berg Television (joint venture with Wiedemann & Berg Filmproduktion)
- Herr P. GmbH
- Jukers Media
- Endemol Shine Iberia
- Zeppelin TV
- Diagonal TV
- Tuiwok Estudios
- Shine Iberia
- Endemol Portugal
- Endemol Shine Israel
- Reshet 13 (10%)
- Endemol Shine Italy
- Endemol Shine Nederland
- Simpel Media
- NL Film & TV
- Endemol Shine Nordics
- Heartland ApS (Denmark)
- Metronome Productions A/S (Denmark)
- Studios A/S (Denmark)
- Metronome Spartacus AB (Norway)
- Rubicon TV AS (Norway)
- Filmlance International AB (Sweden)
- Meter Television AB (Sweden)
- Mag5 Content AB (Sweden)
- Metronome Post AB (Sweden)
- STO-CPH Produktion AB (Sweden)
- Endemol Shine Finland
- Endemol Shine India
- Endemol Shine Polska
- WeiT Media (Russia)
- Endemol Shine International
Digital and GamingEdit
- Ling, Koh Jia. "Endemol's "Your Face Sounds Familiar" to make Middle East debut". Television Asia. Television Asia. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Mccarthy, John. "ITV 'no interest' in bidding for Big Brother and Peaky Blinders studio Endemol Shine Group". thedrum.com. 1/02/2019.
- White, Peter. "ITV Officially Enters Bidding For 'Black Mirror' & 'Big Brother' Producer Endemol Shine – Report". www.deadline.com. Deadline. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Frater, Patrick. "AMC Global Acquires 'Humans' From Endemol Shine". variety.com. Variety. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Clarke, Stewart. "Amazon Nabs U.S. Streaming Rights for Tim Roth, Christina Hendricks Series 'Tin Star'". www.variety.com. Variety. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Tracking the Giants 2018/2019" (PDF). mailchimp.com. K7 Media. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Endemol Shine Distribution http://www.endemolshinedistribution.com/. Missing or empty
- News Corp Completes Deal To Buy Shine Group The Hollywood Deadline
- "Endemol Entertainment Holding NV - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Endemol Entertainment Holding NV". www.referenceforbusiness.com. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Murdoch deal for Shine faces shareholder writ". BBC News. 17 March 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- Sherman, Alex (19 June 2018). "The TV company behind 'Black Mirror,' part-owned by Fox, has hired banks for a sale that could fetch up to $4 billion". CNBC.
- Chu, Stewart Clarke,Henry; Clarke, Stewart; Chu, Henry (19 September 2018). "Endeavor Eyes Possible Bid for Endemol Shine".
- "Indie Giants Circle Endemol Shine as Bidding Heats Up". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Keslassy, Elsa; Keslassy, Elsa (4 October 2018). "Banijay in Advanced Talks to Acquire Endemol Shine".
- "UPDATE 1-Broadcaster RTL walks away from Endemol; to focus on..." Reuters. 29 August 2018 – via www.reuters.com.
- White, Peter; White, Peter (13 September 2018). "BBC Studios Rules Out Bid For 'MasterChef' & 'Black Mirror' Producer Endemol Shine".
- "Virgin Media owner backs out of Endemol deal". Independent.ie.
- White, Peter; White, Peter (16 September 2018). "ITV Officially Enters Bidding For 'Black Mirror' & 'Big Brother' Producer Endemol Shine – Report".
- Chu, Stewart Clarke,Henry; Clarke, Stewart; Chu, Henry (3 October 2018). "ITV Rules Out Bid for Endemol Shine".
- Littleton, Stewart Clarke,Cynthia; Clarke, Stewart; Littleton, Cynthia (18 October 2018). "Endemol Shine Sale Options Narrow With ITV Withdrawal, Industry Shifts".
- "Exclusive: Banijay eyes joint bid for Endemol". TBI Vision. 11 October 2018.
- Chu, Henry (September 18, 2018). "Endemol Shine Sale to Be Completed Within Weeks, Top Exec Says". Variety.
- Clarke, Stewart (November 6, 2018). "Endemol Shine Sale Called Off (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Roxborough, Scott (November 6, 2018). "Disney's Fox Deal Gets European Union Clearance Subject to Divestments". The Hollywood Reporter.
- de la Fuente, Anna Marie (October 17, 2017). "Mipcom: Endemol Shine Latino Co-produces Drama Series on Latin Boy Band, Menudo". Variety. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- "Endemol Shine UK Labels". Endemol Shine UK.
- Slatterly, Laura (January 8, 2015). "Not a Corker Yet: Schedule Challenges for UTV Ireland". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on March 7, 2016 – via Highbeam Research.
- "Endemol Shine North to rebrand as Workerbee". endemolshineuk.com. 2018-11-07. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Zeppotron Launches New Production Label Definitely". Endemol Shine UK. Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- "Producer Imogen Banks signs new deal at Endemol Shine". TV Tonight. 2016-02-24.
- "Unsere Tochterfirmen under Joint Ventures". Endemol Shine Germany.
- "Endemol Shine Iberia Companies". Endemol Shine Iberia.
- "EndemolShine Nordics". EndemolShine Group.
- "Studios A/S: Private Company Information". Bloomberg.
- "About Us - WeiT Media".