Newsy is a U.S. news network founded in Columbia, Missouri in 2008 and acquired by the E. W. Scripps Company in January 2014 for $35 million. Its content can be found on platforms including Verizon FiOS, Comcast Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, Cox, Sling TV, AT&T U-verse, and YouTube TV in addition to set-top streaming devices and services such as Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Hulu.
|Owned by||E. W. Scripps Company|
|Picture format||720p (HDTV, cable)|
Variable, up to 1080p online
|Slogan||Be informed. Not influenced. (formerly News with the Why)|
|On some cable systems||check local listings|
|Platforms & Devices|
Newsy was founded in 2008 on the premise of creating quality video journalism that was easily digestible on mobile devices and the web. In its early years, Newsy operated primarily as a syndication business, selling news and original content to major digital journalism brands that included AOL/Huffington Post, Microsoft and Mashable. Since being acquired by E. W. Scripps Company, Newsy has become a national news brand focused on delivering news to millennials and Gen X consumers.
In September 2017, Scripps announced it would take over RLTV's (Retirement Living Television) cable carriage agreements for approximately 26 million subscribers and reprogram the network with Newsy's lineup of shows already available on major OTT services.
Newsy is a 24-hour live news channel available on the leading cable providers including Comcast, Verizon Fios, Spectrum, DISH and more. Newsy's weekday programming lineup includes:
- Morning Rush
- Newsy Now
- The Briefing
- Today's Headlines
- Newsy Reports
- The Why
- Newsy Tonight
In addition to its daily live news coverage, the channel has also broadcast original series and special reports including:
- A Woman's Job
- Getting A Fix
- Sold in America
- Young Guns
- Asylum: Beyond The Border Crisis
- Resilience: Puerto Rico In Recovery
- Off The Trail
- Blowout: Inside America's Energy Gamble
- Ghost Forest
In 2016, Newsy launched its Brand Studio, which offers brands and agencies native video advertising that supplements Newsy's pre-roll and mid-roll video advertising. Since its launch it has produced branded video content for SUEZ and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center and more.
- Ashley Holt ("Morning Rush" host)
- James Packard ("Newsy Reports" host)
- Chance Seales ("The Why" host)
- Austin Kim ("Today's Headlines" host)
- Jay Strubberg ("The Briefing" host)
- Lauren Stephenson ("Newsy Tonight" host)
Newsy’s editorial content, as well as its over-the-top TV apps, have won industry recognition, including:
- Apple TV's Best of 2015 list
- National Edward R. Murrow award for its news documentary, "The War and Money Project" (2015)
- Society of Environmental Journalists Awards for Reporting on the Environment (2018)
- Online Journalism Award for its investigation, "Case Cleared" (2019)
- Investigative journalism award from the Society of Professional Journalists for "Case Cleared" (2019)
- National Edward R. Murrow award for its news documentary, "Walkout" (2019)
Newsy's editorial content has also been nominated for numerous awards including:
- "Scripps Buys Newsy For $35M To Expand From TV And Newspapers To Digital Video". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- Warner, Charles (2010-05-13). "Newsy.com: The Future of Mobile News". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- "Newsy Officially Announces Partnership With MSN". Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- "Mashable Partners, Newsy team up on advertising-friendly video | FierceCable". www.fiercecable.com. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- Spangler, Todd (2017-09-06). "Newsy to Launch as Cable TV Channel After E.W. Scripps Buys RLTV Contracts". Variety. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- Company, The E.W. Scripps. "Newsy establishes office in Washington, D.C., premieres 2016 campaign finance interactive". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- Company, The E.W. Scripps. "Newsy Original Series, 'A Woman's Job,' launches with premiere at National Press Club". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- GmbH, finanzen.net. "Newsy, Scripps Washington Bureau launch investigation into opioid crisis with new series,". markets.businessinsider.com. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Newsy Looking Deep Into Trump's Potential Conflicts | Broadcasting & Cable". www.broadcastingcable.com. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Newsy Unveils First Original Series at First-Ever NewFront - VideoInk". VideoInk. 2016-05-09. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- "Apple TV Recognizes Newsy In Best Of 2015 App List". Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- "2015 National Edward R. Murrow Award Winners". rtdna.org. Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- "Nominees For The 37th Annual News & Documentary Emmy Awards Announced" (PDF). The News and Documentary Emmy Awards. 2016-07-21.
- "Check 2016 - Newsy | The Webby Awards". Retrieved 2018-03-26.