Refinery29 is an American-based fashion, style, and beauty website that follows a newsletter format. The website is broken down into six sections, with an additional section that offers content geared toward specific, metropolitan cities in the United States. The overall website sections include "Fashion", "Beauty", "Living", "Entertainment", "How To" and "News".
Type of site
|Fashion and News|
|Headquarters||225 Broadway, New York, NY 10007, U.S.|
|Founder(s)||Philippe von Borries, Justin Stefano, Piera Gelardi, Christene Barberich|
|Employees||Over 300 (as of January 2016)|
|Alexa rank||1,246 (January 2016[update])|
Justin Stefano, Philippe von Borries, Piera Gelardi, and Christene Barberich co-founded Refinery29 in 2005 as a fashion focused city guide, emphasizing unique fashion discoveries that were local to New York City. The name of the website alludes to the website distilling information into its essence. The company headquarters is located in the Financial District, Manhattan neighborhood of New York City.
Since its launch in 2005, Refinery29 has grown to draw one billion pageviews per year. The website has also been ranked as #179 on the Inc. 500 list of "America's Fastest Growing Private Companies". In 2011, Refinery29 was positioned to make $8 million in revenue. Despite having 600,000 subscribers as of September 2011, the website is mostly monetized through advertising. In 2016, the website said it has over 27 million monthly unique visitors.
The site expanded to include its first European city section in 2012 with the inclusion of London.
In 2015 the company launched a UK site at refinery29.uk and the following year in 2016, a Germany edition at refinery29.de.
- "Refinery29 - Contact Information". Refinery29. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- "How Two First-Time Founders Went From $28,000 Salaries To Owning A $100 Million Media Brand". Business Insider. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- "Refinery29 - Our Story". Refinery29. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- "Refinery29.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- Michael Nunez (12 December 2011). "Refinery29: Boutique Fashion and Design for All". International Business Times.
- "Refinery29 Corporate". Refinery29 Corporate.
- "Refinery29 - new york, NY". Inc.com.
- Erick Schonfeld. "On Track To Make $8 Million This Year, Refinery29 Invades San Francisco". TechCrunch. AOL.
- automatico. "First Round Refinery29". firstround.com.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Refinery29 raises $45M more led by Turner at a $500M valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-12-14.