Karnal district is one of the 22 districts of Haryana state in northern India. Karnal city is the administrative headquarters of the district. It is one of the 22 Districts which constitutes the National Capital Region (NCR) of India. Karnal is a city part of the National Capital Region (NCR) and located in the state of Haryana, India and is the administrative headquarters of the district.
|President of Karnal District||Jagmohan Anand|
|जिला-अध्यक्ष करनाल||जगमोहन आनंद|
|Tehsils||1. Karnal, 2. Nilokheri, 3. Indri, 4. Gharaunda, 5. Assandh|
|• Total||2,520 km2 (970 sq mi)|
|• Density||600/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||887|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituencies||Karnal (shared with Panipat district)|
|Vidhan Sabha constituencies||5|
Also as it lies on National highway 44 (old NH-1), it has a well connected transport system to the nearby major cities like Delhi and Chandigarh. Karnal District is also well connected by railways. Karnal Junction lies on Delhi-Kalka line and major trains stops at this station. The district headquarter also have a small aerodrome known as karnal airport.
According to the 2011 census Karnal district has a population of 1,505,324, roughly equal to the nation of Gabon or the US state of Hawaii. This gives it a ranking of 333rd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 598 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,550/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 18.22%. Karnal has a sex ratio of 996 females for every 1,000 males, and a literacy rate of 74.73%.
The Karnal district is headed by an IAS officer of the rank of Deputy Commissioner (DC) who is the chief executive officer of the district. The district is divided into 4 sub-divisions, each headed by a Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM): Karnal, Indri, Assandh and Gharaunda.
The Karnal district is divided into 5 Vidhan Sabha constituencies:
Karnal district is a part of Karnal (Lok Sabha constituency).
People from Karnal DistrictEdit
- Kalpana Chawla, First Indo-American woman astronaut. In 2003, Chawla was one of the seven crew members that died in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster
- Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan, First Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- Vikramjeet Virk, Indian actor.
- Navdeep Saini, Indian cricketer.
- Manohar Lal Khattar, Current Chief Minister of Haryana
- Kuldeep Sharma, Indian politician.
- Harwinder Kalyan, Indian politician.
- Karan Dev Kamboj, Indian politician.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 1 January 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- 2011 Census of India, Population By Mother Tongue
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
- "Only 98 cities instead of 100 announced: All questions answered about the smart cities project". 28 August 2015.
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article "Karnal".|