Gharaunda is a town and a municipal committee in Karnal district in the state of Haryana, India. It is situated at a distance of sixty-five miles to the northwest of New Delhi. It is eleven miles from Karnal, the district headquarters. The Amritsar-Delhi main broad-gauge railway line passes through the town. Indo-Israel Centre For Excellence in Vegetables and one of the leading footwear industries of India 'Liberty Shoes' has its manufacturing unit in Gharaunda. This has given fame to the place. Gharaunda is also a very big Grain market of the state.
Gharaunda Mughal Sarai Gateway
|Elevation||213 m (699 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Gharaunda is located at  It has an average elevation of 213 metres (698 feet). The municipal area of the town is 4.37 km² which does not include the existing and proposed area to be developed by Haryana Urban Development Authority under any town and country planning scheme..
As of 2011[update] India census, Gharaunda had a population of 37,816. Males constitute 52.67% of the population and females 47.32%. Gharaunda has an average literacy rate of 81.1%, higher than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy is 87.3%, and female literacy is 74.2%. In Gharaunda, 13.21% of the population is under 6 years of age. Rajput is main community in Gharaunda. Hindus are 94% of the total population and are the largest religious community in the city followed by Sikhs which contribute 4% of the total population and Jains are the third largest religious community with 1% population.
The Sarai (rest house) was built in 1637 AD during the reign of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan. The sarai is quadrangular in shape with cells on all four sides. Existing gateways form a part of northern and southern walls and they both have three stories and are made of lakhaur bricks. It is decorated with panels, balconies, rounded towers and angular flutes.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc – Gharaunda
- "Karnal District Handbook 2011". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Gateway of Old Mughal Sarai". Haryana Tourism. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- "Harvinder Kalyan of BJP WINS the Gharaunda constituency". www.NewsReporter.in. Retrieved 21 October 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "GHARAUNDA ASSEMBLY ELECTION RESULTS, HARYANA". http://www.elections.in. Retrieved 21 October 2014. External link in
|publisher=(help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)