List of districts in Malaysia(Redirected from Districts of Malaysia)
District (Malay: Daerah; Jajahan in Kelantan and Bahagian in Sabah and Sarawak) is a type of administrative division below the state level in Malaysia. An administrative district is administered by lands and district office which is headed by district officer.
Also known as:|
Jajahan (Collectivity) (Kelantan)
Bahagian (Division) (Sabah and Sarawak)
|Category||Second-level administrative division|
|Location||States of Malaysia|
Greatest: Petaling District, Selangor—1,812,633 (2010)|
Least: Pakan District, Sarawak—15,480 (2010)
Largest: Kapit Division, Sarawak—38,934 km2 (15,033 sq mi)|
Smallest: Northeast Penang Island District, Penang—124 km2 (48 sq mi)
City hall, city council, municipal council, district council (in all states and Kuala Lumpur)|
Corporation (in Labuan and Putrajaya)
Local authority (in Kulim, Kedah)
Town board (in Kudat, Sabah)
Development authority (in Bintulu, Sarawak)
Daerah (District) (Kelantan, Sabah and Sarawak)
In East Malaysia, a district is a subdivision of a division of a state. For example, Tuaran is a district within the West Coast Division of Sabah. A district is usually named after the main town or its administrative capital; for example, the town of Sandakan is the capital of the Sandakan District, as well as the capital of Sandakan Division. In Sarawak, some districts are further divided into sub-districts (daerah kecil; literally "small district") before the mukim level, while Sabah are not divided into mukim.
An administrative district can be distinguished from a local government area where the former deals with land administration and revenue while the latter deals with the planning and delivery of basic infrastructure to its inhabitants. Administrative district boundaries are usually coextensive with local government area boundaries but may sometimes differ especially in urbanised areas. For example, the local government of Petaling District in Selangor are administrated by Petaling Jaya City Council, Shah Alam City Council and Subang Jaya Municipal Council; or even the local government of both Northeast Penang Island District and Southwest Penang Island District in Penang are administrated by Penang Island City Council. The below is a list of districts in Malaysia.
- "The Official Portal of the Sarawak Government". www.sarawak.gov.my.
- "Malaysia Districts". Statoids.com. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "TABURAN PENDUDUK MENGIKUT PBT & MUKIM 2010". Department of Statistics, Malaysia. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- Lian Cheng; Peter Sibon (23 January 2016). "Call for Belaga to have own district council". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "Launch of Bukit Mabong, Tunoh, Kapit by the Chief Minister of Sarawak". Sarawak Regional Corridor Development Authority. 3 November 2015. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- Lian Cheng (11 November 2016). "It's Kota Samarahan Municipal Council effective today". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "Laman Web Rasmi Majlis Daerah Samarahan". www.mpks.sarawak.gov.my.
- Samuel Aubrey (12 April 2015). "Serian now a division". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 15 May 2015.