Queen Jeongsun or Queen Jung-Soon (정순왕후 김씨, 2 December 1745 – 11 February 1805) also known as Queen Dowager Yesun (예순왕대비) was a Queen consort of Korea as married to King Yeongjo (1724–1776), and the regent of Korea from 1800 to 1805 as the guardian of her minor step great-grandson, Sunjo of Joseon (1790–1834, reigned 1800–1834). She was a member of the Gyeongju Kim clan.
|Queen Regent of Joseon|
|Regency||1800 – 1804|
|Monarch||King Sunjo of Joseon|
|Grand Queen Dowager of Joseon|
|Tenure||1800 – 1805|
|Queen Dowager of Joseon|
|Tenure||1776 – 1800|
|Queen Consort of Joseon|
|Tenure||1759 – 1776|
|Born||2 December 1745|
Yeoju, Kingdom of Joseon
|Died||11 February 1805 (aged 59)|
Gyeongbok Palace Kingdom of Joseon
|Spouse||King Yeongjo of Joseon|
|Mother||Lady Won of the Wonju Won clan|
After the death of Yeongjo's first Queen Consort in 1757, she became Queen in 1759. She made an impression of wisdom early in her marriage with her verbal talent.
Because of the death of Crown Prince Sado in 1762, a son of Queen Jeongsun would have belonged to the required generation for inheriting the throne after the death of Yeongjo. But Queen Jeongsun had no children, and the throne was transmitted to the son of Sado who reigned as King Jeongjo from 1777 to 1800.
Upon the death of King Jeongjo in 1800, the only son of Jeongjo was 10 years old. He ascended the throne as King Sunjo. The Regency was given to Queen Jeongsun since she was the senior-most by generation over anybody else in the Palace. She exerted the power until she voluntarily gave it up in 1804. She departed from the policy of the late King, enforcing the Catholic Persecution of 1801 and favoring the Noron Byeokpa faction.
- 1745–1759: Lady Kim
- 1759–1776: Her Majesty The Queen of Joseon
- 1776–1800: Her Majesty The Queen Dowager of Joseon
- 1800–1805: Her Majesty The Grand Queen Dowager of Joseon
In popular cultureEdit
- Portrayed by Kim Yong-sun in the 1988 MBC TV series The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong.
- Portrayed by Kim Ja-ok in the 1991 KBS1 TV series The Royal Way.
- Portrayed by Lee In-hye in the 1998 MBC TV series The King's Road.
- Portrayed by Kim Mi-hee in the 2001 MBC TV series Hong Guk-yeong.
- Portrayed by Kim Yeo-jin in the 2007 MBC TV series Lee San, Wind of the Palace.
- Portrayed by Kim Hee-jong in the 2007 CGV TV series Eight Days, Assassination Attempts against King Jeongjo.
- Portrayed by Im Ji-eun in the 2008 SBS TV series Painter of the Wind.
- Portrayed by Geum Dan-bi in the 2011 SBS TV series Warrior Baek Dong-soo.
- Portrayed by Ha Seung-ri in the 2014 SBS TV series Secret Door.
- Portrayed by Han Ji-min in the 2014 film The Fatal Encounter.
- Portrayed by Seo Ye-ji in the 2015 film The Throne.
| Queen consort of Korea