Kladno (Czech pronunciation: [ˈkladno]; German: Kladen) is a city in the Central Bohemian Region (Středočeský kraj) of the Czech Republic. It is located 25 kilometres (16 miles) northwest of the capital city Prague. Kladno is the largest city in the region and has a population together with its adjacent suburban areas of more than 110,000 (nearly 70,000 in Kladno proper). The city is part of the Prague metropolitan area, which has a population over 2,600,000 (making it the most populous in the Czech Republic).
Kladno City Hall
|First mentioned||14th century|
|• Mayor||Dan Jiránek (ODS)|
|• Total||36.97 km2 (14.27 sq mi)|
|Elevation||381 m (1,250 ft)|
|• Density||1,900/km2 (4,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2010)
The first written evidence of Kladno dates back to the 14th century. In 1561 the city rights were secured. Until 1918, the town was part of the Austrian monarchy (Austrian side after the compromise of 1867), head of the Kladno district, one of the 94 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Bohemia.
Kladno was the historical birthplace of heavy industry in Bohemia. For years, the town was home to the Poldi steel factory, the region's largest employer. The factory still stands but has been divided into smaller entities after privatisation and changes in ownership. The mining industry began here in 1842. A post-office was opened in 1863. The proximity to Prague helped to keep the local economy stable in spite of the heavy industrial decline after the collapse of the communist regime. A series of Western European companies has established production in Kladno, including LEGO, Dr. Oetker, NKT Cables and Quickstep Laminate Floors.
- Jaromír Jágr, ice hockey player
- Tomáš Plekanec, ice hockey player
- Jakub Voráček, ice hockey player
- Anton Čermák, mayor of Chicago, Illinois from 1931–1933, was born here (as Antonín Čermák) in 1873.
- Zdeněk Miler, animator and illustrator (creator of The Mole character).
- Antonin Raymond, Czech American architect noted for projects in Japan and the United States.
- Radko Gudas, ice hockey player
- Petr Pithart, former Prime Minister of the Czech Republic was born here in 1941.
- Michal Pivoňka, ice hockey player
- Jiří Tlustý, ice hockey player
- Michael Frolík, ice hockey player
- Jiří Sekáč, ice hockey player
- František Kaberle, ice hockey player
- Jiří Dienstbier, former deputy in Parliament of the Czech Republic senator of Kladno, presidential nominant.
Twin towns — sister citiesEdit
- "Population of municipalities of the Czech republic". Czech Statistical Office. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Die postalischen Abstempelungen auf den österreichischen Postwertzeichen-Ausgaben 1867, 1883 und 1890, Wilhelm KLEIN, 1967
- Handbook of Austria and Lombardy-Venetia Cancellations on the Postage Stamp Issues 1850-1864, by Edwin MUELLER, 1961
- "Biography of Mayor Anton J. Cermak". Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Partnerská města Kladna" (in Czech). Statutární město Kladno. Retrieved 21 August 2019.