Regions of the Czech Republic
Regions of the Czech Republic (Czech: kraj, plural: kraje) are higher-level territorial self-governing units of the Czech Republic. Every region is governed by a regional council, headed by a governor (hejtman). Elections to regional councils take place every four years.
|Regions of the Czech Republic|
|Number||13 regions + Prague|
|Populations||293,311 (Karlovy Vary Region) – 1,397,997 (Central Bohemian Region)|
|Areas||3,163 km2 (1,221 sq mi) (Liberec Region) – 10,929 km2 (4,220 sq mi) (Central Bohemian Region)|
According to the Act no. 129/2000 Coll. ("Law on Regions"), which implements Chapter VII of the Czech Constitution, the Czech Republic is divided into thirteen regions and one capital city with regional status as of 1 January 2000.
The first kraje were created in the Kingdom of Bohemia during the reign of Charles IV in the 14th century and they lasted till 1862/68. Kraje were reintroduced in 1949 in Czechoslovakia and still exist today (except for the early 1990s) in its successor states despite many rearrangements.
Rights and obligations of the regions include:
- Establishment of secondary schools;
- Responsibility for hospitals and social facilities;
- Construction and repair of second and third class roads;
- Organization of integrated transport systems;
- Ordering of public intermunicipal transport;
- Protection of the nature;
- Cooperation in the distribution of EU funds within the NUTS-2 regions;
- Tasks within the integrated rescue system;
- Right to propose laws to the Chamber of Deputies and submit complaints to the Constitutional Court.
List of regionsEdit
(in million CZK)
|GDP per capita|
|C||South Bohemian||České Budějovice||643,551||10,058||62||150,970||251,106|
|K||Karlovy Vary||Karlovy Vary||293,311||3,310||92||65,789||216,639|
|U||Ústí nad Labem||Ústí nad Labem||817,004||5,339||154||188,041||229,146|
|H||Hradec Králové||Hradec Králové||550,803||4,759||115||133,767||244,549|
Coats of armsEdit
- "Zákon č. 129/2000 Sb. o krajích (krajské zřízení)". zakonyprolidi.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 2 June 2021.
- "Population of Municipalities – 1 January 2021". Czech Statistical Office. 30 April 2021.