Goats as pets
Despite having the reputation of being slightly rebellious, people still enjoy choosing companion animals like goats, because of their ability to form close bonds with their owner. Goats are herd animals by nature and typically prefer the company of other goats, but because of their herd mentality, they will follow their owner and form close bonds with them, hence continuing their popularity.
Ideally, one requires a minimum 200 sq feet (18.5 sq m) or more for every goat.
Although goats are relatively hardy animals, domestic goats benefit from being provided with shelter from wind and rain. Regular feeding is essential, as is the provision of clean water. Hay is a necessary food source and a manger keeps it off the ground where they might urinate and defecate upon it. Providing a salt lick is also a wise adjunct so as to provide them with essential minerals. Being cloven-hoofed animals, they also need their feet to be examined from time to time and to be trimmed if necessary, since some breeds evolved in areas where hard rocky surfaces continually wear down their hoofs, whereas on soft land pasture their hoofs may overgrow. Such overgrowth can lead to problems requiring veterinary visits.
Another important consideration is to ensure that their enclosure have robust fencing as goats rub up against things in order to scratch themselves and can destroy many bad-quality fence, only to then escape through the small gaps they create. Therefore, some owners provide scratching posts.
- Nawroth, Christian; Brett, Jemma; McElligott, Alan (5 July 2016), Goats display audience-dependent human-directed gazing behaviour in a problem-solving task, doi:10.1098/rsbl.2016.0283, retrieved 28 August 2016
- Deamer, Kacey (July 15, 2016), Man's New Best Friend Is a Goat?, Live Science
- Kimberling, D.V.M., Cleon. "Introductory information on pet goats". Goatworld. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Pfalzbot, Gary (1999–2015). "Goats as Pets". Goatworld. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Douglas, Catherine (July 8, 2016), Goats, sheep and cows could challenge dogs for title of ‘man’s best friend’, The Conversation, retrieved 29 August 2016
|This goat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|