August(Redirected from August (month))
August is the eighth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian calendars, and the fifth of seven months to have a length of 31 days. It was originally named Sextilis in Latin because it was the sixth month in the original ten-month Roman calendar under Romulus in 753 BC, and March was the first month of the year. About 700 BC, it became the eighth month when January and February were added to the year before March by King Numa Pompilius, who also gave it 29 days. Julius Caesar added two days when he created the Julian calendar in 46 BC (708 AUC), giving it its modern length of 31 days. In 8 BC, it was renamed in honor of Augustus. According to a Senatus consultum quoted by Macrobius, he chose this month because it was the time of several of his great triumphs, including the conquest of Egypt.
In the Southern Hemisphere, August is the seasonal equivalent of February in the Northern Hemisphere. In many European countries, August is the holiday month for most workers. Numerous religious holidays occurred during August in ancient Rome.
Certain meteor showers take place in August. The Kappa Cygnids take place in August, with the dates varying each year. The Alpha Capricornids meteor shower takes place as early as July 10 and ends at around August 10, and the Southern Delta Aquariids take place from mid-July to mid-August, with the peak usually around July 28–29. The Perseids, a major meteor shower, typically takes place between July 17 and August 24, with the days of the peak varying yearly. The star cluster of Messier 30 is best observed around August.
Among the aborigines of the Canary Islands, especially among the Guanches of Tenerife, the month of August received in the name of Beñesmer or Beñesmen, which was also the harvest festival held this month.
This list does not necessarily imply either official status or general observance.
Non-Gregorian observances: 2018 datesEdit
(Please note that all Baha'i, Islamic, and Jewish observances begin at the sundown prior to the date listed, and end at sundown of the date in question unless otherwise noted.)
- American Adventures Month (celebrating vacationing in the Americas)
- Children's Eye Health and Safety Month
- Digestive Tract Paralysis (DTP) Month
- Get Ready for Kindergarten Month
- Happiness Happens Month
- Month of Philippine Languages (Philippines)
- Neurosurgery Outreach Month
- Psoriasis Awareness Month
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month
- What Will Be Your Legacy Month
United States month-long observancesEdit
- National Black Business Month
- National Children's Vision and Learning Month
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- National Water Quality Month
- National Win with Civility Month
Food Months in the United StatesEdit
Movable Gregorian observances, 2017Edit
- Construction Holiday (Quebec): July 27 – August 5
- Earth Overshoot Day: August 2
- National Farmer's Market Week: August 6–12
- National Science Week August 12–20 (Australia)
1st Tuesday: August 1Edit
Thursday before the first Monday: August 3Edit
1st Friday: August 4Edit
1st Saturday: August 5Edit
1st Sunday: August 6Edit
- Air Force Day (Ukraine)
- American Family Day (Arizona, United States)
- Children's Day (Uruguay)
- Friendship Day (United States)
- International Forgiveness Day
- Railway Workers' Day (Russia)
Sunday on or closest to August 9: August 6Edit
1st Monday: August 7Edit
- August Bank Holiday (Ireland)
- Children's Day (Tuvalu)
- Civic Holiday (Canada)
- Commerce Day (Iceland)
- Emancipation Day (Anguilla, Antigua, The Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Saint Kitts and Nevis)
- Farmer's Day (Zambia)
- Kadooment Day (Barbados)
- Labor Day (Samoa)
- National Day (Jamaica)
- Picnic Day (Northern Territory, Australia)
- Somers' Day (Bermuda)
- Youth Day (Kiribati)
2nd Tuesday: August 8Edit
2nd Saturday: August 12Edit
2nd Sunday: August 13Edit
- Children's Day (Argentina, Chile, Uruguay)
- Father's Day (Brazil, Samoa)
- Melon Day (Turkmenistan)
- Navy Day (Bulgaria)
- International Lefthanders Day
2nd Monday: August 14Edit
- Heroes' Day (Zimbabwe)
- Victory Day (Hawaii and Rhode Island, United States)
- Independence Day (Pakistan)
2nd Tuesday: August 15Edit
3rd Friday: August 18Edit
3rd Saturday: August 19Edit
Third Weekend: August 19–20Edit
3rd Sunday: August 20Edit
3rd Monday: August 21Edit
- Discovery Day (Yukon, Canada)
- Day of Hearts (Haarlem and Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- National Mourning Day (Bangladesh)
Sunday nearest August 26: August 27Edit
Last Sunday: August 27Edit
Last Monday: August 28Edit
- Father's Day (South Sudan)
- Heroes' Day (Philippines)
- Liberation Day (Hong Kong)
- Late Summer Bank Holiday (England, Northern Ireland and Wales)
Last Thursday: August 31Edit
Fixed Gregorian observancesEdit
- Season of Emancipation (Barbados) (April 14 to August 23)
- International Clown Week (August 1–7)
- World Breastfeeding Week (August 1–7)
- August 1
- Armed Forces Day (China)
- Armed Forces Day (Lebanon)
- Azerbaijani Language and Alphabet Day (Azerbaijan)
- Emancipation Day (Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands)
- Imbolc (Neopaganism, Southern Hemisphere only)
- Lammas (England, Scotland, Neopaganism, Northern Hemisphere only)
- Lughnasadh (Gaels, Ireland, Scotland, Neopaganism, Northern Hemisphere only)
- Minden Day (United Kingdom)
- National Day (Benin)
- National Milkshake Day (United States)
- Official Birthday and Coronation Day of the King of Tonga (Tonga)
- Pachamama Raymi (Quechua people in Ecuador and Peru)
- Parents' Day (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- Procession of the Cross and the beginning of Dormition Fast (Eastern Orthodoxy)
- Statehood Day (Colorado)
- Swiss National Day (Switzerland)
- Victory Day (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam)
- World Scout Scarf Day
- Yorkshire Day (Yorkshire, England)
- August 2
- August 3
- August 4
- August 5
- Dedication of the Basilica of St Mary Major (Catholic Church)
- Independence Day (Burkina Faso)
- National Underwear Day (United States)
- Victory and Homeland Thanksgiving Day and the Day of Croatian defenders (Croatia)
- August 6
- August 7
- August 8
- August 9
- August 10
- August 11
- August 12
- August 13
- August 14
- August 15
- Feast Day of the Assumption of Mary (Catholic holy days of obligation, a public holiday in many countries.
- Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos (Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches)
- Navy Day (Romania)
- Armed Forces Day (Poland)**The first day of Flooding of the Nile, or Wafaa El-Nil (Egypt and Coptic Church)
- The main day of Bon Festival (Japan), and its related observances:
- Constitution Day (Equatorial Guinea)
- End-of-war Memorial Day, when the National Memorial Service for War Dead is held. (Japan)
- Founding of Asunción (Paraguay)
- Independence Day (Korea)
- Independence Day (India)
- Independence Day (Republic of the Congo)
- National Day (Liechtenstein)
- National Mourning Day (Bangladesh)
- Victory over Japan Day (United Kingdom)
- National Lemon Meringue Pie Day (United States)
- August 16
- August 17
- August 18
- August 19
- Feast of the Transfiguration (Julian calendar), and its related observances:
- Afghan Independence Day (Afghanistan)
- August Revolution Commemoration Day (Vietnam)
- Birthday of Crown Princess Mette-Marit (Norway)
- Manuel Luis Quezón Day (Quezon City and other places in The Philippines named after Manuel L. Quezon)
- National Aviation Day (United States)
- National Potato Day (United States)
- World Humanitarian Day
- August 20
- August 21
- August 22
- August 23
- Battle of Kursk Day (Russia)
- Day of the National Flag (Ukraine)
- European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism or Black Ribbon Day (European Union and other countries), and related observances:
- Liberation from Fascist Occupation Day (Romania)
- International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
- Umhlanga Day (Swaziland)
- August 24
- August 25
- August 26
- August 27
- August 28
- August 29
- August 30
- August 31
- Baloch-Pakhtun Unity Day (Balochs and Pashtuns, International observance)
- Day of Solidarity and Freedom (Poland)
- Independence Day (Federation of Malaya, Malaysia)
- Independence Day (Kyrgyzstan)
- Independence Day (Trinidad and Tobago)
- Love Litigating Lawyers Day
- National Language Day (Moldova)
- National Trail Mix Day (United States)
- North Borneo Self-government Day (Sabah, Borneo)
- "August." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2008. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 23 September 2008.
- "Year of Julius Caesar, A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities (1890), William Smith, LLD, William Wayte, G. E. Marindin, Ed."
- Supplicia canum was held on August 3, Lychnapsia on August 12, Nemoralia was held from August 13–15 (or on the full moon of August), Tiberinalia and Portumnalia on August 17, Consuales Ludi on August 18, Vinalia rustica on August 19, Vulcanalia on August 23, Opiconsivia on August 25, and Volturnalia on August 27. These dates do not correspond to the modern Gregorian calendar.
- Abréu Galindo, Juan de (1848) . Historia de la conquista de las siete islas de Gran Canaria. Santa Cruz de Tenerife: Imprenta, Litografía y Librería Isleña.
- Torriani, Leonardo (1959) . Descripción e historia del reino de las Islas Canarias: antes Afortunadas, con el parecer de sus fortificaciones. Santa Cruz de Tenerife: Goya Ediciones.
- "Why the American Gem Society". American Gem Society.
- Birth months, flowers, and gemstones, shgresources.com
- "Children's Eye Health and Safety Month".
- "Online Events".
- "August is Get Ready for Kindergarten Month!". Committee for Economic Development of The Conference Board.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- "Psoriasis Awareness Month – Take Action, One Day at a Time – National Psoriasis Foundation".
- "Cure SMA – Home".
- "What Will Be Your Legacy Month".
- "12th annual National Black Business Month". National Black Business Month.
- "August is Vision & Learning Month – College of Optometrists in Vision Development (COVD)".
- "National Immunization Awareness Month – NIAM – CDC".
- "August is National Water Quality Month". GoodSpeaks.
- "Food Days, Weeks, Months – August". UNL Food. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Bober, Mike. Celebrate National Goat Cheese Month with Local Favorites, dcfoodies.com
- "Why Is National Panini Month In August?". Food Republic. August 20, 2012.
- "National Farmers Market Week – Farmers Market Coalition".