Andrea Belotti (Italian pronunciation: [anˈdrɛːa beˈlɔtti]; born 20 December 1993) is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a striker for Torino, for which he is captain, and the Italy national team.
|Full name||Andrea Belotti|
|Date of birth||20 December 1993|
|Place of birth||Calcinate, Italy|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12:13, 5 June 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 11 June 2019
Nicknamed Il Gallo (The Rooster), Belotti started his career with AlbinoLeffe. He was later signed by Palermo, where he won a Serie B title in the 2013–14 season, before being signed by Torino in 2015.
Belotti is nicknamed Il Gallo (The Rooster). The nickname comes from the surname of his close childhood friend, who jokingly suggested he celebrate his goals by mimicking a rooster's comb with an open hand to his forehead.
He took his first steps as a footballer in the oratory school of Gorlago, and with Grumellese. After an unsuccessful trial with Atalanta, he was signed by AlbinoLeffe and went through their youth system. He made his debut for the first team in the 2011–12 season, when he played eight matches in Serie B and scored two goals. He also scored 13 goals as team top-scorer for the youth team throughout the 2011–12 season, winning a youth title, the Trofeo Dossena, in June 2012.
The following season, he was fully promoted to the first team, and made 31 appearances in Lega Pro Prima Divisione, scoring 12 goals. He also made an appearance during the 2012–13 Coppa Italia. Given the presence in the squad of the defender Mauro Belotti, Andrea was nicknamed Belottino.
On 2 September 2013, he was loaned for a fee of €500,000 (with a buyout clause set at €2.5 million) to Palermo in Serie B. He made his debut with the Sicilians on 24 September 2013, as a substitute for Davide Di Gennaro in a game against Bari, and provided an assist to Kyle Lafferty in a 1–2 loss. He scored his first goal for the Rosaneri on 5 October against Brescia. On 3 May 2014, he was promoted to Serie A after a 1–0 win away to Novara. He closed the season with 10 goals scored in the league. On 18 June 2014, Palermo exercised the right to redeem half of his contract in co-ownership, with an option to redeem the other half for €3.5 million.
He made his debut in Serie A on 31 August 2014, at age 20, as a substitute for Paulo Dybala in a 1–1 draw at home to Sampdoria. On 12 September, Palermo announced they had redeemed the remainder of his contract. On 24 September, he scored his first two career goals in Serie A, playing as a starter in a 3–3 draw away to Napoli. On 13 December, he scored the winning goal in injury time against Sassuolo, securing a 2–1 win for Palermo and their seventh consecutive useful result (equalling the record of the 2009–10 season under the coach Delio Rossi). He played in 38 games throughout the season, largely as a substitute, in which he scored six goals.
On 18 August 2015, he was officially signed by Torino for a reported fee of €7.5 million. He scored his first goal for Torino in a 2–0 win against Bologna. On 16 January 2016, he scored his first brace for the club in a 4–2 win over Frosinone. On 20 March, he scored from the penalty spot in the 48th minute to halt Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon's record of longest consecutive minutes not conceded in a 4–1 home defeat. He concluded the 2015–16 season with 12 goals in 35 appearances.
He began the 2016–17 season scoring a header against Milan at the San Siro, but had a penalty saved by Gianluigi Donnarumma in a 3–2 defeat. The following round, on 28 August, he scored his first career hat-trick in a 5–1 home win against Bologna. On 4 December, he extended his contract with Torino until 2021, with a €100 million release clause valid only to foreign clubs. On 5 March 2017, he wore the captain's armband for the first time against Palermo, in which he scored the fastest hat-trick in Serie A since 30 January 2000 (seven minutes and 15 seconds), surpassing the previous record belonging to the Ukrainian Andriy Shevchenko. The following month, he became the first player under the age of 24 to score 24 goals in a single Serie A season since Shevchenko in 1999–00. He ended the season with 26 goals in 35 appearances, and as the third top-scorer in the league behind Edin Džeko of Roma (29) and Dries Mertens of Napoli. (28).
In the 2017–18 season, Belotti was appointed captain on a permanent basis. He scored his first goal of the season with a scissor-kick in a 3–0 win against Sassuolo. Often injured, he was unable to repeat his performance of the previous season, scoring 10 league goals.
On 26 August 2018, Belotti scored his first goal of the 2018–19 season in a 2–2 draw against Inter Milan at the San Siro. On 4 November, he scored his first brace of the season in a 4–1 away win against Sampdoria.
Belotti received his first call-up to the Italy under-19 side in December 2011 against the Lega Pro representative squad; he scored a goal in the match, which the under-19 side won 4–2. In the 2012 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship elite qualification round he featured as Italy's centre-forward in the team's 4–2–3–1 formation, scoring once in three appearances.
Belotti made nine appearance for the under-20 (scoring four goals), before making his debut for the under-21 team on 14 August 2013 in a 4–1 friendly victory against Slovakia. On 5 September he featured in the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualification 3–1 loss at home to Belgium, later scoring his first goal in the group on 14 November, in a 3–0 win against Northern Ireland. On 5 September 2014 he scored his first brace for the team in a European Championship qualifier against Serbia, which ended in a 3–2 victory for Italy.
Under manager Luigi Di Biagio, Belotti took part in the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship in the Czech Republic, scoring the opening goal in a 3–1 defeat of England in Italy's final group match, although the result was not enough to see the Italian under-21 side progress to the semi-finals, as the azzurrini finished third in their group, behind the two eventual finalists Portugal and Sweden.
On 27 August 2016, Belotti was called up to the senior squad for the first time by Gian Piero Ventura for a friendly against France on 1 September and a 2018 World Cup qualification match on 5 September against Israel. He made his senior international debut in the friendly against France, coming on as a substitute in a 3–1 home loss. Belotti scored his first senior goal on 9 October, the opening goal of their third World Cup qualification match, a 3–2 away victory over Macedonia.
Style of playEdit
He began his career as a midfielder and winger, but under the guidance of Albinoleffe's youth coach Alessio Pala, he was converted to a forward. Compared to Gianluca Vialli for his athleticism and style of play, Belotti is a prolific striker, and has a strong shot with both feet. He is strong in aerial duels, and stands out for his acceleration, tactical intelligence, work-rate and eye for goal.
Belotti married Giorgia Duro on 15 June 2017.
|2012–13||Lega Pro Prima Divisione||31||12||1||0||—||—||32||12|
|2013–14||Lega Pro Prima Divisione||—||1||0||—||—||1||0|
- As of 11 June 2019
- As of match played on 7 September 2018. Italy score listed first, score column indicates score after each Belotti goal.
|1||9 October 2016||Philip II Arena, Skopje, Macedonia||North Macedonia||1–0||3–2||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|2||12 November 2016||Rheinpark Stadion, Vaduz, Liechtenstein||Liechtenstein||1–0||4–0|
|4||11 June 2017||Stadio Friuli, Udine, Italy||2–0||5–0|
|5||28 May 2018||Kybunpark, St. Gallen, Switzerland||Saudi Arabia||2–0||2–1||Friendly|
- "Andrea Belotti" (in Italian). Torino F.C. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- E il gallo cantò due volte. Palermo-Novara 2-1 Palermocalcio.it
- Tutti ai piedi del 'Gallo'. Il futuro è già qui Livesicilia.it
- Gallo, parla l'ispiratore dell'esultanza di Belotti: "Andrea un vero amico, la sua forza è pazzescamente l'umiltà. Palermo lo incanta, può fare 15 gol" Palermo24.net
- Zamparini, 500 partite in rosa. Belotti stappa lo champagne Archived 17 June 2014 at the Wayback Machine Linksicilia.it
- "Padre Belotti: "Atalanta, ricordi quel provino?"". Mediagol.it. 27 September 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "BELOTTI: "Io scartato dall'Atalanta, poi.."". Mediagol.it. 6 July 2014. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- [dead link]
- "Il trofeo Dossena è dell'AlbinoLeffe!" (in Italian). UC AlbinoLeffe. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "AlbinoLeffe sconfitto all'esordio in Coppa Italia" (in Italian). UC AlbinoLeffe. 6 August 2012. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "L'uomo del giorno: Mauro Belotti "sono molto contento per la crescita del gruppo"". Albinoleffe.com. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "PRESI BELOTTI E VERRE VIVIANO IN PRESTITO ALL'ARSENAL". Palermocalcio.it. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "ACQUISTATA LA METÀ DI BELOTTI". Palermocalcio.it. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Il Palermo Calcio riscatta la compartecipazione di Andrea Belotti". Albinoleffe.com. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "U.S. Città di Palermo". Palermocalcio.it. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "RISCATTATA LA SECONDA META' DI BELOTTI "RINGRAZIO LA SOCIETA' PER LA FIDUCIA"" (in Italian). US Città di Palermo. 12 September 2014. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Torino, preso Belotti dal Palermo: ha firmato, costera 7,5 milioni" [Turin, take Belotti from Palermo: has signed, will cost 7.5 million]. La Gazzetta Dello Sport (in Italian). 17 August 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Belotti al Toro". torinofc.it. Torino Football Club. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- "A Immobile bastano 9 minuti Il Toro va: che coppia con Belotti". Archiviostorico.gazzetta.it. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Buffon sets new Serie A record". Football Italia. 20 March 2016. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Torino 5-1 Bologna". ESPN FC. 28 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Belotti rinnova sino al 2021". Torinofc.it. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Torino, Belotti rinnova. Cairo: "Fino al 2021, clausola per l'estero da 100 mln"". Gazzetta.it. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Torino, Belotti per la prima volta capitano dal 1° contro il Palermo". la Gazzetta dello Sport. 2 March 2017.
- "OptaPaolo". Opta. 5 March 2017.
- "Belotti's star continues to rise with eight-minute hat-trick". SBS. 5 March 2017.
- "Belotti: 'I don't think about €100m'". Football Italia. 29 April 2017.
- Campanale, Susan (10 April 2017). "Serie A Week 31: Did You Know?". Football Italia. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- "Calciomercato Torino, Belotti capitano: indizio sul futuro?". Goal.com. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- "WATCH: In-demand Belotti scores on flying scissor kick". Si.com. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- "Cosa dobbiamo pensare della stagione di Belotti?". Ultimouomo.com. 27 April 2018. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- "GOALS AND GOOD PLAY BY THE U.19 IN COVERCIANO UNDER WATCHFUL EYE OF PRANDELLI" (in Italian). FIGC. 14 December 2011. Archived from the original on 20 September 2016. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- "Italia Lega Pro – Under 19 2-4 davanti a Prandelli". LegaPro.it (in Italian). 14 December 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "EUROPEI: GLI AZZURRINI BATTONO 2-1 IL BELGIO AL DEBUTTO" (in Italian). FIGC. 23 May 2012. Archived from the original on 23 September 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Under-19 – Andrea Belotti". UEFA.com. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- Luca Bianchin (24 June 2015). "Europeo Under 21, Inghilterra-Italia 1-3, ma il biscotto condanna gli Azzurrini" (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Italy: Ventura calls new faces". Football Italia. 27 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Italy: Azzurri flop with France". Football Italia. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Belotti: 'Great Italy courage'". Football Italia. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Sacchi: God blessed Torino striker Belotti with greater values than talent – Tribal Football". Tribalfootball.com.
- Belotti: "Prima facevo il centrocampista. Se sono un attaccante lo devo a..." Mediagol.it
- Bergomi: "Belotti, ricordo quando ti affrontai..." Mediagol.it
- Belotti, gol da predestinato. Con la benedizione di Mondonico... Gianlucadimarzio.com
- "Belotti, un 9 per l'Italia... sulle orme di Vialli". Goal.com. 6 October 2016.
- Tomaselli, Paolo. "Belotti, il talento nato dalla gavetta". Corriere.it.
- "Torino, Manchester United su Belotti. Pronto a sborsare 100 milioni". Gazzetta.it.
- "Crotone-Torino 0-2, doppio Belotti fa volare Mihajlovic". Gazzetta.it.
- "Belotti e Immobile gemelli del gol: doppietta del 'Gallo' nel 4-0 al Liechtenstein". FIGC – Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio. Archived from the original on 21 December 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "La promessa di Belotti: "Con i miei gol fino al Mondiale"". Repubblica.it. 14 November 2016.
- "Testa, destro e sinistro: Belotti è un bomber a tutto tondo". Goal.com.
- "Belotti, ma che giocatore sei diventato?". Tuttosport.com.
- "Torino-Roma 3-1. Sblocca Belotti, doppietta di Iago, gol di Totti su rigore". Gazzetta.it.
- "Torino-Juventus 1-3, Higuain doppietta per la rimonta e festa per il compleanno". QuotidianoNet. 11 December 2016.
- "Ritmo, velocità e Belotti. Il nuovo Toro va forte". LaStampa.it.
- "Determinazione e 'fame', Belotti raccontato dal suo ex capitano: "Ha qualità che ho visto solo nei grandi"". Gianlucadimarzio.com.
- "Derby tra bomber: Belotti meglio di Higuain, lo dicono i numeri". Goal.com.
- "Belotti, l'attaccante che alza la cresta anche in Europa: in gol ogni 58' meglio anche di Messi". It.europsort.com. 27 September 2016.
- "Pagelle Italia-Germania: bene Belotti e De Rossi". Repubblica.it. 15 November 2016.
- "Giorgia Duro e Andrea Belotti, il matrimonio" (in Italian). Il Corriere della Sera. 15 June 2017. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Andrea Belotti at Soccerway. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Scheda analitica della carriera". Aic.football.it.
- "Andrea Belotti". Italian Football Federation (in Italian). Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Pallone d'argento a Belotti, premiazione prima del match Torino-Sassuolo" (in Italian). Tutto Sport. 24 April 2017. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- "Belotti batte Dybala: al Gallo il premio Prisco per la lealtà sportiva". Toro.it (in Italian). 21 March 2017. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- "Gazzetta Sports Awards: Buffon l'uomo dell'anno, Totti e Contador leggende" (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. 12 December 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2017.