3 (New York City Subway service)
The 3 Seventh Avenue Express is a rapid transit service in the A Division of the New York City Subway. Its route emblem, or "bullet", is colored red since it uses the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line through most of Manhattan.
The 3 operates at all times. Daytime service operates between 148th Street in Harlem, Manhattan and New Lots Avenue in East New York, Brooklyn, making express stops in Manhattan (between 96th Street and Chambers Street) and local stops in Brooklyn. Late night service short turns at Times Square–42nd Street in Midtown Manhattan.
On July 1, 1918, the entire IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line was completed. 3 trains were rerouted south of 42nd Street from the IRT Lexington Avenue Line to this new line. They now made all stops to South Ferry.
As of 1934, 3 service operated between 145th Street and South Ferry except late nights, when service operated between 145th Street and 96th Street, making local stops.
Beginning on January 4, 1955, some 3 trains ran express in Manhattan during rush hours and were extended to Flatbush Avenue; a few layups and put-ins ran to New Lots. Late night service was discontinued between 145th Street and 96th Street. However, from December 20, 1957, 3 trains were rerouted to New Lots Avenue during rush hours. On February 6, 1959, all trains except late nights made express stops in Manhattan as part of the "West Side Improvement" and ran to Flatbush Avenue. Starting April 8, 1960, 3 trains were rerouted to New Lots. Weekday evening service was cut to a shuttle 145th Street to 135th Street only. However, on April 18, 1965, 3 service started to run to Flatbush Avenue again. On October 17, 1965, weekend evening service was also cut to a shuttle 145th Street to 135th Street.
On May 13, 1968, trains were extended to the newly completed 148th Street–Lenox Terminal. Later that year, on December 15, all-night shuttle service between 148th Street and 135th Street was brought back for the first time since 1955. On May 23, 1976, the current practice of starting Sunday service late (9 or 10 AM) began. On July 10, 1983, the 2 and 3 trains swapped Brooklyn Terminals, and the 3 was permanently stationed at New Lots Avenue so it could access the Livonia Yard and shops.
Beginning on August 5, 1990, late-night shuttles between 148th Street and 135th Street were discontinued and replaced by shuttle buses. On September 4, 1994, late-night shuttles between 148th Street and 135th Street were resumed, but were discontinued again on September 10, 1995. This was a cost-saving measure due to low ridership.
After September 11, 2001, the 3 service became a local in Manhattan. After a few switching delays at 96th Street, service was changed on September 19, 2001. It ran in Manhattan as an express between Harlem–148th Street and 14th Street and was replaced by 1 service in Brooklyn. It returned to New Lots Avenue on September 15, 2002.
As a result of planned repairs to Hurricane Sandy-related damage in the Clark Street Tube, on weekends from June 17, 2017 to June 24, 2018, the 3 operated only in Manhattan between Harlem-148th Street and 14th Street with 4 trains providing service in Brooklyn.
The following table shows the lines used by the 3, with shaded boxes indicating the route at the specified times:
|all ex. nights||late nights|
|IRT Lenox Avenue Line (full line)||Harlem–148th Street||Central Park North–110th Street||all|
|IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line||96th Street||Times Square–42nd Street||express|
|34th Street–Penn Station||Chambers Street|
|IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line,
|Park Place||Borough Hall||all|
|IRT Eastern Parkway Line (full line)||Hoyt Street||Crown Heights–Utica Avenue||local|
|IRT New Lots Line (full line)||Sutter Avenue–Rutland Road||New Lots Avenue||all|
For a more detailed station listing, see the articles on the lines listed above.
|Station service legend|
|Stops all times|
|Stops all times except late nights|
|Stops weekdays only|
|Stops rush hours only|
|Stops rush hours/weekdays in the peak direction only|
|Time period details|
|Station is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act|
|↑||Station is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act|
in the indicated direction only
|Elevator access to mezzanine only|
|Lenox Avenue Line|
|145th Street||Access to/from first five cars only.|
Some southbound a.m. rush hour trips begin at this station.
|125th Street||2||M60 Select Bus Service to LaGuardia Airport|
|Central Park North–110th Street||2|
|Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line|
|96th Street||1 2 |
|72nd Street||1 2 |
|Times Square–42nd Street||1 2
7 <7> (IRT Flushing Line)
A C E (IND Eighth Avenue Line at 42nd Street–Port Authority Bus Terminal)
N Q R W (BMT Broadway Line)
S (42nd Street Shuttle)
|Port Authority Bus Terminal|
|34th Street–Penn Station||1 2 ||M34 / M34A Select Bus Service|
Amtrak, LIRR and NJ Transit at Pennsylvania Station
|14th Street||1 2
F M (IND Sixth Avenue Line at 14th Street)
L (BMT Canarsie Line)
|PATH at 14th Street|
|Chambers Street||1 2 |
A C (IND Eighth Avenue Line at Chambers Street)
E (IND Eighth Avenue Line at World Trade Center)
R W (BMT Broadway Line at Cortlandt Street)
|PATH at World Trade Center|
4 5 (IRT Lexington Avenue Line)
A C (IND Eighth Avenue Line)
J Z (BMT Nassau Street Line)
|PATH at World Trade Center|
4 5 (IRT Eastern Parkway Line)
R W (BMT Fourth Avenue Line)
|Eastern Parkway Line|
|Nevins Street||2 4 5|
|Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center||2 4 5
B Q (BMT Brighton Line)
D N R W (BMT Fourth Avenue Line)
|LIRR Atlantic Branch at Atlantic Terminal|
|Bergen Street||2 4|
|Grand Army Plaza||2 4|
|Eastern Parkway–Brooklyn Museum||2 4|
|Franklin Avenue||2 4 5
S (BMT Franklin Avenue Line)
|Nostrand Avenue||2 4 5||B44 Select Bus Service|
|Kingston Avenue||2 4 5|
|Crown Heights–Utica Avenue||2 4 5||B46 Select Bus Service|
|New Lots Line|
|Sutter Avenue–Rutland Road||2 4 5||B15 bus to JFK Airport|
|Saratoga Avenue||2 4 5|
|Rockaway Avenue||2 4 5|
|Junius Street||2 4 5
Out-of-system transfer with MetroCard during nights and weekends: L (BMT Canarsie Line at Livonia Avenue)
|Pennsylvania Avenue||2 4 5|
|Van Siclen Avenue||2 4 5|
|New Lots Avenue||2 4 5||B15 bus to JFK Airport|
- "Subdivision 'A' Car Assignments: Cars Required June 24, 2018" (PDF). 61 (7). Electric Railroaders' Association. July 2018: 16. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- "3 Subway Timetable, Effective June 24, 2018" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "NYCT Line by Line History". www.erictb.info. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- "New IRT Schedules - Increased Service to Flatbush Avenue". New York Division Bulletin. July 1983.
- "Coming Transit Reductions: What They Mean for You," The New York Times, August 20, 1995, p. CY10
- Bleyer, Jennifer (July 17, 2005). "In a City That Never Sleeps, Two Stations That Doze". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Christian, Nichole M. (March 3, 1998). "Subway Line Repairs Start With Confusion". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- "About NYC Transit - History". October 19, 2002. Archived from the original on October 19, 2002. Retrieved September 18, 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Service Enhancements on 3 Line" (Press release). MTA New York City Transit. July 24, 2008. Retrieved July 26, 2008.
- Neuman, William (June 10, 2008). "Subway Service Increase to Be Less Than Hoped". The New York Times..
- "Transit & Bus Committee Meeting December 2016" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. December 12, 2016. pp. PDF-169 to PDF-175. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 10, 2016. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- "Clark St Tunnel Reconstruction Weekend Service Changes". web.mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. June 8, 2017. Archived from the original on June 8, 2017. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Subway Service Guide" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Authority. May 1, 2019. Retrieved July 1, 2017.