Super RTL is a German free-to-air television network. It is a joint venture between RTL Group's CLT-UFA and The Walt Disney Company's Buena Vista International Television Investments. Each partner owns 50% of the channel.
|Launched||28 April 1995|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to 16:9 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Audience share||1.6% (including Toggo plus) (April 2018KEK),|
|Slogan||Schön, dich zu sehen.|
(Nice to see you.)
|Timeshift service||Toggo Plus|
|Digital terrestrial television||Channel slots vary on each region|
|Cablecom||Channel slots vary on each region|
|Kabel Deutschland||Channel slots vary on each region|
|Kabel BW||Channel slots vary on each region|
|Unity Media||Channel slots vary on each region|
|NOS (Portugal)||Channel 49|
|Telekom Entertain (Germany)||Channel 9 (SD/HD)|
|A1 TV (Austria)||Channel 28 (SD)|
On 24 August 1994, with Jeffrey Katzenberg's resignation, a reorganization of Disney Company took place in which Richard Frank became head of newly formed Disney Television and Telecommunications (DTT), which included Walt Disney Television International, which held Disney's Super RTL stake. The RTL Disney Television Limited Partnership was formed in 1995. Super RTL was launched on 28 April 1995. With the Disney-CC/ABC merger led to DTT being split up in April 1996, Walt Disney Television International was transferred to Capital Cities/ABC in that same month. CC/ABC combined the international units, Walt Disney Television International and ACIBG, into Disney–ABC International Television (DAIT) in July.
The Fun & Action Tour, a Germany-wide roadshow event for children, was started in 1997 featuring TV program characters. The tour was later renamed the Toggo Tour. The following year, the channel became the top view channel by the 3-to-13-year-old target age group.
In 1999, the joint venture saw its channel make a net profit of DM 4.5 million, launched its website and started the Super RTL Licensing Agency to make more revenues from TV licensing. A new managing director, Claude Schmit, took charge of the venture in 2000.
Also in 2000, the preschool programming is labeled "Toggolino". Toggolino Club is started in 2002 and offers paid pre-school children education content.
The Toggo umbrella brand 2001 for all activities for 6- to 13-year-old children. In 2002, Sony BMG label, Berlin Records, released the first Toggo Music CD. SuperRTL began using the 'Family Cartoon' rating label in 2006 for family viewing suitable animated films shown on Friday and Saturday night.
In 2005, Super RTL was granted a broadcast license for the preschool pay-TV channel Toggolino TV by the government media regulators. However, Toggolino TV was never launched. Bertelsmann turned over the learning platform Scoyo to Super RTL in 2009. In mid-2013, Super RTL, RTL II and four other RTL channels were available over Zattoo live streaming service under the first deal between a German broadcaster and an over the top platform company.
With the announcement of the launch of a free-to-air German version of Disney Channel causing a loss of Disney programming, Super RTL signed volume deals in October 2013 with Warner Bros. International Television and Sony Pictures Television for a slate of animated features and DreamWorks Animation (DWA) for 1,200 hours of programming until 2020. The DWA deal included shows from the Classic Media library. The channel also acquired programming to expand its views in the evenings with more adult TV shows to debut in its fall 2014 schedule: ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars, ABC's Once Upon a Time and Scandal and Syfy's Lost Girl supernatural series. As of 1 January 2014, Disney programming left the channel, because the broadcast version of Disney Channel (Germany) launched on 17 January. However, Disney will continue holding its stake in the station.
RTL Disney TV LP launched its Kividoo subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services on 28 April 2015. In February 2016, RTL Disney Television LP received approval for a second channel from the anti-media concentration commission KEK. granted the 10-year license to the company. On 15 March, TRL Disney TV announced that the second channel's name as "Toggo plus" after receiving the broadcast license from media authorities' licensing and supervision commission ZAK. Toggo Plus was planned to launch on 4 June 2016.
- Toggo (2001–present) is the network's children programming block and umbrella brand for ages 6 to 13-year olds. In 2016, its brand and programming was added to a new network, Toggo Plus, while adding another hour in the morning. Toggo with this change, the block will be on 15 hours a day.
- Toggolino is the preschool programming on SuperRTL. The brand was first used in 2000.
- 30 Rock
- Böse Mädchen
- CSI Miami
- House (Dr. House)
- Die Kinderklinik - Familien zwischen Bangen und Hoffen
- On the Case (On the Case - Unter Mordverdacht)
- The Adventures of Puss in Boots (Der gestiefelte Kater - Abenteuer in San Lorenzo)
- ALVINNN! and the Chipmunks (ALVINNN!!! und die Chipmunks)
- Angelo Rules (Angelo!)
- Backyard Science (WOW – Die Entdeckerzone)
- Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures (Barbie: Traumvilla-Abenteuer)
- The Bugs Bunny Show (Bugs Bunny & Looney Tunes)
- Dennis & Gnasher: Unleashed! (Dennis & Fletscher: Blämtastisch!)
- Detective Fips (Detektiv Fips)
- Dragons: Race to the Edge (Dragons - Auf zu neuen Ufern)
- Friends of Heartlake City (Friends)
- Grizzy and the Lemmings (Grizzy & die Lemminge)
- Hotel Transylvania: The Series (Hotel Transsilvanien - Die Serie)
- Inspector Gadget
- Kid vs. Kat (Coop gegen Kat)
- Nate is Late (Voll zu spät!)
- Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu (Ninjago)
- Pokémon the Series: Sun and Moon – Ultra Legends (Pokémon - Die TV-Serie: Sonne & Mond - Ultra-Legenden)
- Sammy & Co. (Sammy - Kleine Flossen, große Abenteuer)
- Spirit Riding Free (Spirit: Wild und Frei)
- Tom and Jerry (Tom und Jerry)
- The Tom and Jerry Show (Die Tom und Jerry Show)
- Trolls: The Beat Goes On! (Trolls - Die Party geht weiter!)
- Woozle Goozle
- Wild Kratts (Go Wild! Mission Wildnis)
- Zak Storm (Zak Storm - Super Pirat)
- Zig & Sharko (Zig & Sharko - Meerjungfrauen frisst man nicht!)
- Zip Zip
- 44 Cats
- Bob the Builder (Bob der Baumeister)
- Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (Der kleine Tiger Daniel)
- Mike the Knight (Mike der Ritter)
- Mister Maker
- Justin Time (Der Phantastische Paul)
- Octonauts (Die Oktonauten)
- PAW Patrol (PAW Patrol – Helfer auf vier Pfote)
- Peppa Pig
- Super Wings
- Thomas & Friends (Thomas und seine Freunde)
- Kividoo: is a subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services launched on 28 April 2015 with children's shows from Hollywood studio DreamWorks Animation, Studio Hamburg, ZDF Enterprises, HIT Entertainment, BBC Studios and German publishing house Tessloff Verlag.
- Toggo Plus: The Toggo Plus network would time shift Super RTL's Toggo programming block by an hour delay with the Toggo block added another hour in the morning. This network would add another hour after the block's schedule is completed. Infomericals would fill out the remaining time.
- Observatory, European Audiovisual. "TV Channel: Super RTL". MAVISE. European Audiovisual Observatory. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Krieger, Jörn (10 February 2016). "Super RTL plans new TV channel". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
RTL Disney Fernsehen is owned 50% each by CLT-UFA which is part of RTL Group and Buena Vista International Television Investments, a subsidiary of Walt Disney.
- Weinraub, Bernard (25 August 1994). "Chairman of Disney Studios Resigns". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Company Overview of RTL DISNEY Fernsehen GmbH & Co. KG". BloombergBusiness. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Krieger, Jörn (27 April 2015). "Super RTL to launch SVOD service for kids". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Roth, Iger Assume Expanded Responsibilities at the Walt Disney Company". PRNewswire. 16 April 1996. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- Johnson, Debra (1 July 1996). "Granath takes top slot at Disney–ABC International". Broadcasting & Cable. Archived from the original on 6 June 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "SUPER RTL: 20 YEARS – 20 FACTS" (PDF). Backstage. No. Week 18. RTL Group. 30 April 2015. p. 8. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- Krieger, Jörn (15 March 2016). "Super RTL to launch second channel". Broadband TV News.
- "Zattoo adds RTL channels to linear OTT". Broadbandtvnews.com. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Roxborough, Scott (8 October 2013). "MIPCOM: With 'Scandal' and 'Scooby-Doo' Germany's Super RTL Takes on Disney Channel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Verrier, Richard (18 June 2013). "DreamWorks Animation signs TV deal with Germany's Super RTL". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 September 2015.